or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1186

post #17776 of 28509

Since finding suits in my size is so difficult I'm looking at some MTM stuff. Some that I came across are Indochino, My.Suit, Black Lapel, and Thick as Thieves. Any of these brands generally superior to the others? 

post #17777 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleb1 View Post

Since finding suits in my size is so difficult I'm looking at some MTM stuff. Some that I came across are Indochino, My.Suit, Black Lapel, and Thick as Thieves. Any of these brands generally superior to the others? 

I think the consensus is Suit Supply is the best value for money.
post #17778 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonian View Post


I think the consensus is Suit Supply is the best value for money.

Their base rate for MTM is also almost 2x the price of the others. I'm a college student, I won't be wearing the suit too often so I don't really see the need to spend 1000+ on one. I'll save those for when I graduate. 

post #17779 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleb1 View Post

Their base rate for MTM is also almost 2x the price of the others. I'm a college student, I won't be wearing the suit too often so I don't really see the need to spend 1000+ on one. I'll save those for when I graduate. 

Is that right? I always thought they were all in the same price bracket. Well, Suit Supply does seem to have more RTW patterns than most, perhaps you will find the right pattern for you there? Their sizing also seems to be more finely calibrated than many other RTW makers. What is your specific sizing problem anyway?
post #17780 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post


I wouldn't recommend this if you ever want to actually put anything in your pockets without the mouths completely stretching out of shape.

Can you show what's the right pocket should look like with for image comparison? I'm still confused even after some Google search. Thanks.

post #17781 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleb1 View Post

I'm a college student, I won't be wearing the suit too often so I don't really see the need to spend 1000+ on one.
Of course, one could maintain that since you'll only be wearing your suit for special occasions, it makes sense for it to be as good a suit as you can possibly afford. As opposed to someone who wears suits nearly every day, just as normal attire.

I don't entirely buy into that line of reasoning, but I have heard it.

Still, I agree that there's no need to spend $1000+ for a nice suit.

I'd also point out that a $400 suit which is properly tailored and fits perfectly, will almost always look better than a $1000 suit which is off by half an inch here and an inch there. One will also feel more comfortable wearing it. Despite this, far more men are willing to spend an extra $100 for a better suit, than are willing to spend $100 on expert alterations by an experienced tailor. (I suppose it's similar to how some people will spend a couple of thousand dollars on a DSLR, but refuse to drop more than $125 on a lens for it. Or to the fellow who spends $65,000 on a sports car, but cheaps out on tires.)
--
Michael
post #17782 of 28509

Need some staple mid grey wool flannel trousers in a straight but still semi-slim style. My budget is around $150.

I was considering Howard Yount, any suggestions?

post #17783 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonian View Post


Is that right? I always thought they were all in the same price bracket. Well, Suit Supply does seem to have more RTW patterns than most, perhaps you will find the right pattern for you there? Their sizing also seems to be more finely calibrated than many other RTW makers. What is your specific sizing problem anyway?

I'm short and skinny-ish (5'5 130lbs), and I also like a very slim fit with my clothes. Most stores only sell down to a 36/s which is still quite a bit too large on me. A 35R (which I think Suit Supply sells OTR) is too long and my experience with 34R is 50/50 on being too tight in the chest. So I'm starting to think MTM is my only option. Also, total noob question, but what's the difference between Ready To Wear and Off The Rack? 

 

 

Quote:
Of course, one could maintain that since you'll only be wearing your suit for special occasions, it makes sense for it to be as good a suit as you can possibly afford. As opposed to someone who wears suits nearly every day, just as normal attire.

I don't entirely buy into that line of reasoning, but I have heard it.

 

I suppose I get the logic, but a $900+ suit isn't in my budget regardless lol. And I would agree very much with your point on tailoring, it's not somewhere I skimp on. 

post #17784 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleb1 View Post

I'm short and skinny-ish (5'5 130lbs), and I also like a very slim fit with my clothes. Most stores only sell down to a 36/s which is still quite a bit too large on me. A 35R (which I think Suit Supply sells OTR) is too long and my experience with 34R is 50/50 on being too tight in the chest. So I'm starting to think MTM is my only option. Also, total noob question, but what's the difference between Ready To Wear and Off The Rack? 

 

 

 

I suppose I get the logic, but a $900+ suit isn't in my budget regardless lol. And I would agree very much with your point on tailoring, it's not somewhere I skimp on. 

you don't need to spend $900+ on a MTM suit. The fabric quality won't be great, and it will likely be only 1/2 canvas, but you can get one for sub $500.

 

if you happen to be in NYC, keep your eye on gilt city and groupon and you're likely to find something even better at that price point.

 

also, a jacket can be shortened, so the 35r can just be tailord

post #17785 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglEvan View Post

Need some staple mid grey wool flannel trousers in a straight but still semi-slim style. My budget is around $150.
I was considering Howard Yount, any suggestions?

HY pants are a good value.
post #17786 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

HY pants are a good value.

HY are rather slim, based on various threads here. I was just researching this the other day. Only marginally roomier than Mabitex/Incotex, according to people who own it. Panta is roomier, apparently. But also more expensive.
post #17787 of 28509
Would a tan cardigan look bad with one of these two shirts? (with dark gray trousers and walnut shoes)



post #17788 of 28509
I wouldn't do it. A cardigan is casual, those are very business shirts.
post #17789 of 28509
:/

Can you recommend anything else? I have to attend a dinner Saturday night and unfortunately I have not purchased any sports coats yet. It's suppose to be dress casual so I thought the cardigan would work.

I already own the shirts if that helps.
post #17790 of 28509
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

:/
Can you recommend anything else? I have to attend a dinner Saturday night and unfortunately I have not purchased any sports coats yet. It's suppose to be dress casual so I thought the cardigan would work.
I already own the shirts if that helps.

The cardigan is fine, but the shirts you chose are too formal. Look for something in oxford cloth with a button-down collar.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here