or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1123

post #16831 of 28512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

 

The question is: How should the size of the blazer be, compared to shirts?

Should the blazer be some inches bigger than the shirt, or have the same measurements?

 

That's tough to say. Long story short, I wouldn't base the size of the blazer you get off of your shirt size. It is very simple, however, to get a measuring tape and measure your own body dimensions. There are tons of websites that show you exactly how to do this. Then you can take these measurements and ask a tailor what size might best fit you. Or better yet, have a tailor take the measurements for you. Keep in mind also that manufacturers vary widely on the measurements they use for their various sizes. For instance, one manufacturer making a jacket sized 40 Regular might be vastly different from another manufacturer who puts the same size on their garments.

post #16832 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

That's tough to say. Long story short, I wouldn't base the size of the blazer you get off of your shirt size. It is very simple, however, to get a measuring tape and measure your own body dimensions. There are tons of websites that show you exactly how to do this. Then you can take these measurements and ask a tailor what size might best fit you. Or better yet, have a tailor take the measurements for you. Keep in mind also that manufacturers vary widely on the measurements they use for their various sizes. For instance, one manufacturer making a jacket sized 40 Regular might be vastly different from another manufacturer who puts the same size on their garments.

Then how should I compare my breast size to a pit-to-pit measurement? I've seen a lot of sellers here at SF, that uses measurements right from the jacket and not around the sellers own body. 

It's really confuzing when I don't have a good jacket to compare the measurements for. 

 

Do the tailors take paid to take measurements for you? 

post #16833 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

Then how should I compare my breast size to a pit-to-pit measurement? I've seen a lot of sellers here at SF, that uses measurements right from the jacket and not around the sellers own body. 

It's really confuzing when I don't have a good jacket to compare the measurements for. 

 

Do the tailors take paid to take measurements for you? 

Assuming you are talking about EBay or B&S, you can also go try on a variety of jackets and take note of the ones that fit you best.  Most manufacturers have the measurements for those jackets on-line or available upon request.  If you have two or three that fit you best, you can get a general sense of what your ideal measurements are in a jacket.

 

If you are talking about having someone make a new jacket for you, I would assume they will want a tailor to measure you and report your measurements.

post #16834 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

Then how should I compare my breast size to a pit-to-pit measurement? I've seen a lot of sellers here at SF, that uses measurements right from the jacket and not around the sellers own body. 
It's really confuzing when I don't have a good jacket to compare the measurements for. 

Do the tailors take paid to take measurements for you? 

Double the pit-2-pit to get the total chest size of the coat. This should be between 2-6" larger than your actual chest size. 2" being a very slim fit, 3-4" being a standard fit and 6" being a relaxed fit.

Or just buy a size corresponding to your chest, i.e. if your chest is 36 inches you buy a size 36 (46EU). But sometimes you'll need to size up or down from this if the coat is cut particularly slim or large, which is why the pit-2-pit is a much more useful metric.

Make sure the shoulders are the right width too, which is even more important than getting the chest size right.
post #16835 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post


Double the pit-2-pit to get the total chest size of the coat. This should be between 2-6" larger than your actual chest size. 2" being a very slim fit, 3-4" being a standard fit and 6" being a relaxed fit.
Or just buy a size corresponding to your chest, i.e. if your chest is 36 inches you buy a size 36 (46EU). But sometimes you'll need to size up or down from this if the coat is cut particularly slim or large, which is why the pit-2-pit is a much more useful metric.
Make sure the shoulders are the right width too, which is even more important than getting the chest size right.

I just measured my chest with a measure tape, and I have a 35,5'' chest, wich means that my size is 36 (46EU). But I have tried several 46 jackets, but none of them fits. 

The sleeves are always too long and the shoulders are also too wide, and 44 is very rare. I am 5'7'' and 120 lbs, and finding a suit is very difficult to me. 

post #16836 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

I just measured my chest with a measure tape, and I have a 35,5'' chest, wich means that my size is 36 (46EU). But I have tried several 46 jackets, but none of them fits. 
The sleeves are always too long and the shoulders are also too wide, and 44 is very rare. I am 5'7'' and 120 lbs, and finding a suit is very difficult to me. 

Sounds like you might want to consider Made-to-measure (MTM). There are several threads discussing the positives and negatives of various MTM vendors (including quality and price). You might also do a forum search for "size 34 suits"; I suspect there are other fellows similar to your size who may know of vendors who sell size 34 suits off the rack (OTR).
post #16837 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londrestopo View Post

Bueno,

Good evening StyleForum,

This is my first post here having signed up a few minutes ago after being a long time browser who has some pressing issues with regards to a new fashion venture.

First of all I'm 5'11, I have quite long legs in relation to a shortish torso with a very front heavy chest.

I'm looking to find a casual style that suits me on a day to day basis without looking over the top.

The colors that suit me are Navy's, Grey's, Dark Reds and Creams.

Ideally I like how Chino's feel but I've never had confidence or found the right shoes to wear without being too formal.

With regards to shirts they don't really suit me with my short torso whilst I prefer sweatshirts, jumpers or polo-necks.

I'm looking for an old fashioned classic style without looking to out of date or too flash.

Regards

Hector

Some of that doesn't make sense, including the color claims, and it's too general and limited in information.

Re shirts, they can be shortened, to better fit the torso length.
post #16838 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

This thread should provide you with some options.

I found two that I believe that I like. Would either of these be more suitable towards wearing on the weekend with some denim? I'm assuming the wingtips are more informal and better suited for wearing out on the town, but I just wanted to double check.

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/5016.php

or

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/5038.php (in brown)

or


http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2607.php
Edited by Koaxke - 8/17/12 at 8:59pm
post #16839 of 28512

I just picked up some of the new F/W season PRL chinos, and I'm wondering if I could wear them with dressy shoes, considering the (lack of) break, and their casual look.

 

So:

1. Are they too short in the back?

2. If they're too short, could I wear them cuffed for more of a SW&D look, or should I avoid that?

3. (a) Are they simply too casual for these shoes?

 (b) If yes to (a), how about these same monks in snuff suede? (I just ordered that pair on Thursday) 

4. Does this color of shoes work with the color of these chinos (even if not the material)? I've been somewhat at a loss for picking pants to wear with these monks.

 

I love the fit in the waist/seat and through the legs of the chinos, and they look disgustingly good with boots, but I'm iffy on coupling them with the monks (or any similar low shoe). What do you boys think?

Navy chinos:

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Khaki chinos:

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

post #16840 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by periklis View Post

My University has two big career fairs every year and I am going to attend them both (one in fall and one in spring). Everyone is wearing black suits and I was wondering if I should wear one too. I read the 101 guide about interviews and it says that I shouldn’t wear a black suite in interviews; I imagine that the same applies to career fairs and information sessions. My problem is that if everyone wears a black suit and I wear a dark grey/light grey suit I will look a bit off. So, should I go with a grey suit or a black one?

You won't look at all off if you wear a charcoal solid or navy solid suit. Look at what CEOs, top politicians, newsreaders etc wear - navy or charcoal solids. 

 

Remember, good fit and appropriateness (as judged by the interviewer) is what matters at job interviews. The preferences of the other candidates who won't get the job are irrelevant. You should also concentrate on having a good quality pair of clean, well-polished black shoes, and a decent shirt and tie. 

post #16841 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

I just measured my chest with a measure tape, and I have a 35,5'' chest, wich means that my size is 36 (46EU). But I have tried several 46 jackets, but none of them fits. 
The sleeves are always too long and the shoulders are also too wide, and 44 is very rare. I am 5'7'' and 120 lbs, and finding a suit is very difficult to me. 

Sleeves will always be too long, you're supposed to get them shortened. You do need the shoulders to fit right though. I have similar trouble finding coats that fit, my chest is about the same size as yours and it used to be smaller. You either need to hunt down size 34 (44EU) or go for MTM/bespoke. Most of my coats are MTM because it's virtually impossible to find RTW that fits. Exactly how wide are your shoulders? It should be possible to find size 36 with shoulders as narrow as 16.5" or less if you aim for very slim brands, though I have also seen size 36s with shoulders measuring 18" or more, which is ridiculously wide.
post #16842 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

Tried on a pair of John Lobb's Newbury today. LOVED them to pieces. Couldn't believe the quality and feel.
That said, I sized down to an 8 (usually do 8.5) and still felt my heel slide the tiniest bit (not fully, but maybe a couple millimeters when I walked). Everywhere else felt right.
Is that a bad sign? I didn't purchase them, have them on hold, but I wonder if the heel should move not at all or a couple mms is okay?
A half size down more became uncomfortable.
I was wearing dress socks on a summer day.

Sounds like you have the right size.  New shoes often slip a little bit until they are broken in. 

post #16843 of 28512

Borrelli shirt purchased pre-owned. What is this thick "stitch" next the button 4 up from the bottom?

post #16844 of 28512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koaxke View Post

I found two that I believe that I like. Would either of these be more suitable towards wearing on the weekend with some denim? I'm assuming the wingtips are more informal and better suited for wearing out on the town, but I just wanted to double check.

All should be suitably informal to wear with jeans, though the two derbies more so than the adelaide.
post #16845 of 28512

Any suggestions where I can find MOP buttons for dress shirts? I only need around 10-20.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here