or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1094

post #16396 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernard View Post

 

Great thanks for the information.

And I know a lot of people on this forum say never wear a black suit. But in my area a black suit is ok to wear as long as you aren't dressed like a black tie event. i.e. brighter pink/blue shirts with a colorful tie. 

I'm also going to assume Cap toes are much more acceptable than wingtips? lol

What area are you in where a black suit is acceptable?

 

If you want black shoes for business wear, go with cap toes. I would avoid black wingtips, especially for your first pair of black shoes.

post #16397 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post


Those are pretty casual for wear with a suit both because they're bluchers and because of the more casual mixing of the brown sole with the black uppers.

 

Thought so about the suit, but still none the wiser about how to wear them.  Grey trousers and open neck shirt?  Or chinos?

 

In terms of 'bluchers', it's not a word I'd ever heard of before coming on this forum.  Would the UK-equivalent be Derby?  The concept of not being able to wear open-laced shoes (if that's the correct term) with suits I suspect would be lost on virtually anyone I'll ever meet in the UK.  I have a pair of closed-lace black shoes for my suit, but also these:

700

Are these technically a 'fail' also?

post #16398 of 28794
Yes.
post #16399 of 28794

OK, one to bear in mind for future improvement then.

 

Thanks for feedback

post #16400 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucan View Post

Are these technically a 'fail'?

unfortunately yes. without also!

the other pair is as you recognized yourself better is suited with "casual" wear. although, it depends on the suits you have and you intend to have.

good luck.
post #16401 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucan View Post

In terms of 'bluchers', it's not a word I'd ever heard of before coming on this forum.  Would the UK-equivalent be Derby?

Yes.
post #16402 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Bear in mind that unless you plan on always striking the right pose, being in the right dramatic lighting, and being in front of a black background, it's possible it won't look as sharp for you, as it did on the model in the GQ photo.
And dah328 is absolutely correct, that it's an item of highly limited versatility.

Ya u guys are probably right.

I guess im going to pass on it.

 

Thanks a lot guys!

post #16403 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

Those are pretty casual for wear with a suit both because they're bluchers and because of the more casual mixing of the brown sole with the black uppers.

Thought so about the suit, but still none the wiser about how to wear them.  Grey trousers and open neck shirt?  Or chinos?

I would think they could work with those more casual combinations.
Quote:
In terms of 'bluchers', it's not a word I'd ever heard of before coming on this forum.  Would the UK-equivalent be Derby?  The concept of not being able to wear open-laced shoes (if that's the correct term) with suits I suspect would be lost on virtually anyone I'll ever meet in the UK.  I have a pair of closed-lace black shoes for my suit, but also these: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Are these technically a 'fail' also?

I have never understood the appeal of the bicycle toe. I can't picture any scenario in which it looks good.
post #16404 of 28794

Where can I get a basic unstructured blazer along these lines? 

 

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m73ct47wNi1r46z9ko1_500.jpg

 

Something in the $200 range would be great. Closest I've found is this one from J Crew:

 

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~37365/37365.jsp

 

Thanks!

post #16405 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernard View Post

Great thanks for the information.
And I know a lot of people on this forum say never wear a black suit. But in my area a black suit is ok to wear as long as you aren't dressed like a black tie event. i.e. brighter pink/blue shirts with a colorful tie. 
I'm also going to assume Cap toes are much more acceptable than wingtips? lol

As someone who is often *required* to wear a black suit, I would not advise wearing much color with it. Black is severe and creates high contrast with whatever you wear it with. If you wear a lot of color, it really screams out and looks clownish and inelegant. The best way to wear a black suit, IMO, is with a white shirt and a dark, simple tie. This is why the consensus is to not buy a black suit... your options are very limited.
post #16406 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post

I have never understood the appeal of the bicycle toe. I can't picture any scenario in which it looks good.

The appeal is that it's different and unique. Or at least that was the appeal to me when I was in my early 20s...
post #16407 of 28794

How did the breast pocket come into fruition? is there any significance as to why one would be slanted and other not, if so why would one consider a slanted breast pocket over a straight?

post #16408 of 28794
Quote:
Originally Posted by piciocco View Post

How did the breast pocket come into fruition? is there any significance as to why one would be slanted and other not, if so why would one consider a slanted breast pocket over a straight?

I don't know how it came to be, but as far as the slant goes I am sure it is tailors preference, or maybe it has to do with a riding, or hunting jacket that has slanted side pockets. The "hacking" pockets on the hips are done that way because it is easier to access them.

In general the English tailors make straighter breast pockets, while the Italians offer a curve to them like a crescent.
post #16409 of 28794

I have found a charcoal Jack Victor suit with a very faint windowpane pattern at a local store for ~$240. I am a little hesitant because of the pattern, even though it is very subtle and because it has one of those extra ticket pockets (i think that is what it is called) but the suit is at such a discount for what I think is a good quality suit and because it fits really well. I need a suit for upcoming law school interviews. 

 

Is this suit appropriate for my needs?

post #16410 of 28794
It isn't ideal, but it is not offensive. I think you will be ok. If the deal was so good, why don't you get a solid navy or charcoal suit somewhere else as well?

Make sure you also pair it with a simple sober tie, no crazy stripes or patterns.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here