or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1093

post #16381 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobehobe View Post

I love the way it looks in the image with a black tie, looks sharp so thats why im specifically looking for that pattern.
Bear in mind that unless you plan on always striking the right pose, being in the right dramatic lighting, and being in front of a black background, it's possible it won't look as sharp for you, as it did on the model in the GQ photo.

And dah328 is absolutely correct, that it's an item of highly limited versatility.
post #16382 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


I did this. I also wore a tie to school every day and it was a public school with no dress code. It boosted my self-esteem and made me feel better than everyone else but I didn't get any female attention until I was a senior and even then it was pretty terrible.


Me too.  I wore a tie, hardly jeans and the kids at my high school actually thought it was pretty cool.  Now, it also helped in terms of the girl situation as it made me appear more 'mature'. lol! happy.gif

post #16383 of 28664
post #16384 of 28664

So i've read that you should pair everything but black suits with brown shoes? Is this true or am I reading this wrong. I wear suits everyday and have 2 nice $300+ black shoes and really cheap brown shoes from college. Do I really need to look for a good pair of brown shoes to wear a suit with? Any suggestions for what is a good color brown/burgundy to go with charcoal, grays, and navys?

post #16385 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernard View Post

So i've read that you should pair everything but black suits with brown shoes?
Well, many would maintain that you shouldn't wear a black suit, but leaving that aside...

Brown shoes can be quite versatile. While it's more common to see men in suits wearing black shoes, the fact is that brown shoes can not infrequently represent a better choice.

That having been said, there's nothing magical about brown shoes which make them always and automatically the best choice. (For convenience sake, I'll lump everything from tan to dark brown - including reds like burgundy and merlot - into the "brown" family. This is an oversimplification, of course.)

Sometimes black - yes, black - really is the best color choice for shoes. Not always, and not as often as most people think, but sometimes.

And I would add that these guidelines tend to vary based on geographic location, occasion, social class, age, and other factors. Both within a country, and especially between countries. ("Best color choice" for a 21 year old going clubbing in Los Angeles, can be very different from "best color choice" for a 60 year old banker holding a press conference in London.)
Quote:
Is this true or am I reading this wrong.
You're not wrong, so long as you understand that it's a general guideline, not a law.
Quote:
I wear suits everyday and have 2 nice $300+ black shoes and really cheap brown shoes from college. Do I really need to look for a good pair of brown shoes to wear a suit with?
A nice pair or two of brown shoes might well be worth buying. But black shoes - while not always the best choice with a suit - are more often than not a safe choice. Particularly with navy or grey suits.
Quote:
Any suggestions for what is a good color brown/burgundy to go with charcoal, grays, and navys?
My tastes lean more toward the burgundy end of the brown spectrum, but to a great extent the best shade comes down to personal preference. I do tend to regard lighter shoes - tan, for example - as being somewhat less formal than darker shoes.
--
Michael
post #16386 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Well, many would maintain that you shouldn't wear a black suit, but leaving that aside...
Brown shoes can be quite versatile. While it's more common to see men in suits wearing black shoes, the fact is that brown shoes can not infrequently represent a better choice.
That having been said, there's nothing magical about brown shoes which make them always and automatically the best choice. (For convenience sake, I'll lump everything from tan to dark brown - including reds like burgundy and merlot - into the "brown" family. This is an oversimplification, of course.)
Sometimes black - yes, black - really is the best color choice for shoes. Not always, and not as often as most people think, but sometimes.
And I would add that these guidelines tend to vary based on geographic location, occasion, social class, age, and other factors. Both within a country, and especially between countries. ("Best color choice" for a 21 year old going clubbing in Los Angeles, can be very different from "best color choice" for a 60 year old banker holding a press conference in London.)
You're not wrong, so long as you understand that it's a general guideline, not a law.
A nice pair or two of brown shoes might well be worth buying. But black shoes - while not always the best choice with a suit - are more often than not a safe choice. Particularly with navy or grey suits.
My tastes lean more toward the burgundy end of the brown spectrum, but to a great extent the best shade comes down to personal preference. I do tend to regard lighter shoes - tan, for example - as being somewhat less formal than darker shoes.
--
Michael

 

Great thanks for the information.

And I know a lot of people on this forum say never wear a black suit. But in my area a black suit is ok to wear as long as you aren't dressed like a black tie event. i.e. brighter pink/blue shirts with a colorful tie. 

I'm also going to assume Cap toes are much more acceptable than wingtips? lol

post #16387 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernard View Post

Great thanks for the information.
You're welcome.
Quote:
I have seen people say you can where burgundy and merlot with black. Is that true?
I suppose. I mean, I regard black suits as awful, so I can't see how wearing burgundy shoes makes a black suit meaningfully better or worse.

It's sort of like asking me whether, when wearing red boat shoes with green laces with your tuxedo, it's okay to wear argyle socks. smile.gif
Quote:
Cap toes are much more acceptable than wingtips? lol
Let's just say that cap toes may be the safer choice. They may be the better choice, but even when they're not, they're seldom a wrong choice. (Notice the parallel between this guideline, and what I said about black shoes not always being the best choice, but usually being a safe choice.)

I happen to like wingtips, btw. But I also understand that there are times when I'm better off wearing cap toes.

Ultimately, a man can wear solid navy and grey suits, with black cap toe shoes, solid white or light blue shirts with point collars, a blue silk repp or dot tie tied with a four-in-hand knot, and solid colored socks in the same color as the suit, and be safely - if unremarkably - dressed for almost any situation in which a conservative suit is appropriate. He won't necessarily be exhibiting my creativity, but neither will he be making any glaring mistakes. And, the real world being what it is, assuming his clothes are clean and fit him properly, he'll likely look better than most of his fellows.

Of course, this being SF, many here aspire to something more than "unremarkable, but safe."
--
Michael
post #16388 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


You're welcome.
I suppose. I mean, I regard black suits as awful, so I can't see how wearing burgundy shoes makes a black suit meaningfully better or worse.
It's sort of like asking me whether, when wearing red boat shoes with green laces with your tuxedo, it's okay to wear argyle socks. smile.gif
Let's just say that cap toes may be the safer choice. They may be the better choice, but even when they're not, they're seldom a wrong choice. (Notice the parallel between this guideline, and what I said about black shoes not always being the best choice, but usually being a safe choice.)
I happen to like wingtips, btw. But I also understand that there are times when I'm better off wearing cap toes.
Ultimately, a man can wear solid navy and grey suits, with black cap toe shoes, solid white or light blue shirts with point collars, a blue silk repp or dot tie tied with a four-in-hand knot, and solid colored socks in the same color as the suit, and be safely - if unremarkably - dressed for almost any situation in which a conservative suit is appropriate. He won't necessarily be exhibiting my creativity, but neither will he be making any glaring mistakes. And, the real world being what it is, assuming his clothes are clean and fit him properly, he'll likely look better than most of his fellows.
Of course, this being SF, many here aspire to something more than "unremarkable, but safe."
--
Michael


well said!bigstar[1].gif

post #16389 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernard View Post

So i've read that you should pair everything but black suits with brown shoes? Is this true or am I reading this wrong. I wear suits everyday and have 2 nice $300+ black shoes and really cheap brown shoes from college. Do I really need to look for a good pair of brown shoes to wear a suit with? Any suggestions for what is a good color brown/burgundy to go with charcoal, grays, and navys?

not at all.
post #16390 of 28664

What would you wear these with?  I like the look of them as a stand-alone pair of shoes, but with a suit?

700

post #16391 of 28664
Unless Lycra now means 100%, no.
post #16392 of 28664
I am looking for a shirt with

-thick white poplin
-hidden placket
-rounded collar

and cant find anything that fits the bill. Would be great if you guys helped me out.

Thanks
post #16393 of 28664
My suit pants bunch in the inner thigh area when sitting down, particularly if crossing my legs. Is this common or a sign I need more room in the thigh? If needing wider thigh area, is this a costly alteration? I imagine it requires the tailor to resew the entire pantleg, and the outcome could be a debacle.
post #16394 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucan View Post

What would you wear these with?  I like the look of them as a stand-alone pair of shoes, but with a suit? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Those are pretty casual for wear with a suit both because they're bluchers and because of the more casual mixing of the brown sole with the black uppers.
post #16395 of 28664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

My suit pants bunch in the inner thigh area when sitting down, particularly if crossing my legs. Is this common or a sign I need more room in the thigh? If needing wider thigh area, is this a costly alteration? I imagine it requires the tailor to resew the entire pantleg, and the outcome could be a debacle.

Some amount of bunching is inevitable, but either pulling or an excessive amount could indicate improperly sized trousers. With respect to the seat area of trousers, there's not much more than taking in or letting out the rear seam that can be done without requiring essentially a full remake of the trousers which is expensive and requires a skilled tailor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here