or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1075

post #16111 of 29352

What's the gist of shoe care when you buy say a new pair of oxfords (aside from shoe horn/shoe trees)? without getting into details of products or procedures.

 

do you just condition it before you first wear it and then polish it from time to time?

 

Also - best way to get rid of minor scuff marks?

post #16112 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown2 View Post

What's the gist of shoe care when you buy say a new pair of oxfords (aside from shoe horn/shoe trees)? without getting into details of products or procedures.

 

do you just condition it before you first wear it and then polish it from time to time?

 

Also - best way to get rid of minor scuff marks?

I don't like to do  too much to a new shoe. I'll rub some mink oil into the leather sole to keep it pliable and waterproof it a bit. And just use a little bit of  neutral paste and brush it on the uppers.

post #16113 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dials View Post

Thanks for your reply, cptjeff! I just dropped some dough on a pair of Loake 1880 Aldwych shoes so I'll forego the cotton belt for now. Maybe next summer.

you're getting into the game, congrats.
post #16114 of 29352
Where can I find a good quality tweed sports jacket?
post #16115 of 29352
I m looking for a dress shirt (hidden placket preferably) and the Ervell formal button down fits the bill perfectly. Unfortunately its out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know if there someone is still carrying it or a similar shirt with an ervell like club collar?

post #16116 of 29352
Thanks fritzl! I think the salesperson purposely overcharged me though. The tag said $119 down from $180 and he charged me $170. I stupidly was so euphoric that I didn't see the tag until I got home. I'm going to try to get the them to honor the price, though I think $170 isn't too bad a price for it.
post #16117 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dials View Post

Thanks fritzl! I think the salesperson purposely overcharged me though. The tag said $119 down from $180 and he charged me $170. I stupidly was so euphoric that I didn't see the tag until I got home. I'm going to try to get the them to honor the price, though I think $170 isn't too bad a price for it.

so how many pair of shoes do you have now?
post #16118 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicPac View Post

Where can I find a good quality tweed sports jacket?

Hackett, Bladen, Barbour, Magee.

post #16119 of 29352
Orvis sells Harris Tweed in the USA., as well
post #16120 of 29352
I have a suit with pants that are that are too tight in the seat, but the proper width in the waist. I know this because it looks tight in the back, and the front pockets "flare out." (They don't lay flat)

Is is possible to just let out the seat with this seam? I think this is just called "seat shaping," but I could be wrong. I don't need the waist band let out.

Looks like I only have about an inch of material to work with at the area where the seat is. Should I not even attempt to get more room out these pants?

[img]IMG_1762.jpg
post #16121 of 29352
Today: 3:30pm wedding, 5pm cocktail hour, 6pm reception. Currently 66 and rainy going up to a high of 81 (...and thunderstorms).

Ceremony here:


Booze and reception here:


Wife will be in a dark purple cocktail number. I'll likely wear brown dress boots because of the rain.

Suit choices: raw linen notch, charcoal 1B peak, medium gray 3-roll-2 notch.

Which?
post #16122 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

I have a suit with pants that are that are too tight in the seat, but the proper width in the waist. I know this because it looks tight in the back, and the front pockets "flare out." (They don't lay flat)
Is is possible to just let out the seat with this seam? I think this is just called "seat shaping," but I could be wrong. I don't need the waist band let out.
Looks like I only have about an inch of material to work with at the area where the seat is. Should I not even attempt to get more room out these pants?
[img]IMG_1762.jpg

It is possible, but pockets that don't sit right usually go along with a waist that is too small. Perhaps you just like your pants tight at the waist.
post #16123 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Perhaps you just have large gulteals

FTFY.
post #16124 of 29352
Duplicate.
post #16125 of 29352
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

so how many pair of shoes do you have now?

Well I lost my post. I was going to list them but screw it- I'm not retyping all that.

18 including sneakers and various athletic shoes.

Of note:
1 pair of brown Oak Street Bootmakers trail oxfords
1 pair of Florsheim Veblen wine bluchers (SF acquisition)
1 pair of Shoto boots (SF acquisition)
1 pair of Florsheim blamorals (black)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here