Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 8:28 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN Hall of Fame: pre-2010 Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:09am in Classic Menswear
- Tailor thinks suit is still too short -- what's your opinion? Last post on 6/2/11 at 10:16am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 1030post #15436 of 287316/19/12 at 11:31amI'm thinking about picking up a new pair of glasses. I'd be paying out of pocket for the glasses (family doesn't really use insurance). Are designer glasses (Zegna, Polo Ralph Lauren) a huge ripoff without insurance helping you cover some of it? They seem like just a few bands of plastic/metal bolted together.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #15437 of 287316/19/12 at 12:24pmpost #15438 of 287316/19/12 at 1:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by doughboysc
I've recently lost weight my neck size went from 19.5" to 18" and my sleeve length went from 35" to 34". Most of my Brooks Brothers shirts are 20" neck 36" sleeve (too big you dig!). I've got a question, my chest is 52" (I wear a Long because I'm six feet one and a half) and my waist is 58". Would that be the problem for off-the-rack suits and dress shirts? What's my best option I've saved almost $10K, off-the-rack or MTM/Bespoke on suits, sportcoats/blazers, dress shirts, and trousers?
Plus, I've taken the tie-length calculator at http://www.tie-a-tie.net/extralongties.html on my height and neck size. They suggested extra long. Also I know Turnbull & Asser makes bespoke extra long neckties. What other places they have extra long neckties like in NYC besides Rochester Big and Tall for example?Quote:Originally Posted by edmorel
If you are planning on losing more weight, I would not go an spend a lot of money on clothing now. You could very easily drop a few more sizes and then you'd have a bunch of clothing that is too big for you. Unless you need suits/sportcoats right now, I would stick with a Rochester or another big and tall store and just buy a few basic cotton/wool pants and a few shirts. You'll be wearing the same clothes often but I'd suck it up and then once I was comfortable that I was at my final weight, I'd explore the suits/sportcoats. If this is your final weight, given your size you almost have to go MTM and who you use will depend on your budget. For shirts, there are a ton of MTM options, for suits I would check with other big and tall guys. Tie, you can get made to whatever size you like from a few people here, Sam Hober, myself and I think Kent Want offers long ties, I'm, assuming you are looking at about a 65 inch lenght tie or so.
Good advice. I lost 50 pounds and bought a wardrobe. I lost another 50 and had to start from square one again. Level off, then buy.post #15439 of 287316/19/12 at 5:02pmI recently purchased a white and peach striped shirt with contrast collar and French cuffs. I matched it up with a striped navy blue and grey striped suit. I welcome your opinions and critique on which you believe is a better combination along with any tie suggestion, thank you.
Edited by jc4jax - 6/19/12 at 5:43pmpost #15440 of 287316/19/12 at 6:05pm
Found a pair of madras pants thrifting today, they're hemmed about 2 inches short for me but have 4 to let out. Should most capable tailors be able to hem and taper my pants with a decent result? and on top of that, how much would you think that would cost? I know I should just ask, but I'd like a ballpark figure before I actually take them in.post #15441 of 287316/19/12 at 7:08pmpost #15442 of 287316/19/12 at 7:36pmpost #15443 of 287316/19/12 at 9:07pmpost #15444 of 287316/19/12 at 10:56pm"I recently purchased a white and peach striped shirt with contrast collar and French cuffs. I matched it up with a striped navy blue and grey striped suit. I welcome your opinions and critique on which you believe is a better combination along with any tie suggestion, thank you."
My two cents: the blue is the better match, but the stripes on the shirt are too close to the stripes on the jacket.post #15445 of 287316/20/12 at 6:26ampost #15446 of 287316/20/12 at 7:57amQuote:
Something like this?
Edit: There is also quite a selection at TheShoeMart
Edited by hoit1981 - 6/20/12 at 8:14ampost #15447 of 287316/20/12 at 8:04amQuote:Originally Posted by jc4jax
I recently purchased a white and peach striped shirt with contrast collar and French cuffs. I matched it up with a striped navy blue and grey striped suit. I welcome your opinions and critique on which you believe is a better combination along with any tie suggestion, thank you.
Return the shirt. It is horrible. Get a plain white spread collar barrel cuff shirt and wear it better with either suit and almost any tie. Also, the pocket square is horrible, those striped suits need something more sober. These two combos here look like a Matisse, and imo, that is not a good thing.post #15448 of 287316/20/12 at 8:05ampost #15449 of 287316/20/12 at 9:21ampost #15450 of 287316/20/12 at 9:33amQuote:Originally Posted by jslade
I'm thinking about picking up a new pair of glasses. I'd be paying out of pocket for the glasses (family doesn't really use insurance). Are designer glasses (Zegna, Polo Ralph Lauren) a huge ripoff without insurance helping you cover some of it? They seem like just a few bands of plastic/metal bolted together.
Some crazy percentage of all designer glasses, regardless of the logo, are made by Luxotica (including all of the Ralph Lauren brands, but not Zegna). You definitely pay a premium to put somebody else's name on the side of your face.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Common Projects - White Leather Camo Sole Achilles SZ 42 4 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 14 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 2 minutes ago
- › Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...