or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 939

post #14071 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglett View Post



Quoting this in hopes that I can get some feedback--sorry if this bump is too soon.

Any help on the sizing, guys? If they're going to break in, I'll wear them, which I'm itching to do, but I can't do that unless I'm sure; I (obviously) won't be able to return them if I go out with them on.

fit looks more than ok on the pictures. nobody can take away your perceptions, though, as shoe fit is much more individual than clothes fitting, imo. try to get as much carpet time as possible with them, only time can tell.
post #14072 of 29128

What tie to wear with a navy cotton suit? Silk ones seem not appropiate somehow. Brown/blue/orange cotton tie?

post #14073 of 29128

Hi guys, I'm a noob trying to improve my woeful wardrobe of clothing. I am currently trying to expand my selection of shirts, as I am trying to wear a shirt everyday as opposed to the t-shirts I was wearing a few months ago.

 

I run my own business, which doesn't involve a lot of client interaction so I won't be wearing business style suits (though I'd like to eventually try wearing a more casual style of suit on occasion) and so I'd like to buy less dress shirts and more of a casual style shirt to be worn with various knitwear etc & trousers, chinos or jeans. I went into a local TM Lewin yesterday to get an idea of size and to my surprise found that I am a 14.5" collar (that's surprising as I am 6ft tall and weight 170lbs).

 

My question is what is my best solution for casual shirts? The places that I can afford to shop (Uniqlo, Gap, BR, outlets and sales) tend to size by the wonderful S, M, L method. I tried on a OCBD in Uniqlo in both a small and a medium, the collar on the medium was too big, the chest in the small was too small.

 

I guess I am just looking for a little direction.....should I look at regular billowy casual shirts in a small, where the collar fits and then just alter them (pinch and pin or taken to a tailor, though that seems a little excessive seeing as how little I am trying to pay for the shirts) or do I keep hunting for a shirt that fits me? Or do I try and lose another 10lbs so I can get into those Uniqlo shirts that are on offer?

 

Lurking on here for the last month or so has made me aware of how important fit is and I refuse to buy anything now unless I think it fits me pretty well.

 

(I am aware that is a rambling question, not a quick one but it still is not worth starting a new thread for, is it?)

post #14074 of 29128
^^^ 6 ft, 170 doesn't sound like a 14.5 inch neck to me. I would measure again before I bought a shirt which I couldn't try on before purchase.

Buy an Extra Slim Fit or Slim Fit Brooks Brothers OCBD (oxford cloth button down) on B&S. They can be had for $45 each. IMO the made in USA BB OCBD is the most versatile shirt out there.
post #14075 of 29128

Find a way to exercise your neck. Seriously. There is no OTR I can think of that's going to make a size that fits you. I'm a little taller than you, and about 15 lbs lighter, with a neck that's two inches larger and even I have trouble finding shirts that fit.

 

 

 

 

BTW how is TM Lewin, I keep seeing them and thinking cheeeeeep but if they're crap I don't wanna buy them.

post #14076 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

^^^ 6 ft, 170 doesn't sound like a 14.5 inch neck to me. I would measure again before I bought a shirt which I couldn't try on before purchase.

Buy an Extra Slim Fit or Slim Fit Brooks Brothers OCBD (oxford cloth button down) on B&S. They can be had for $45 each. IMO the made in USA BB OCBD is the most versatile shirt out there.

Unfortunately it is correct, I'm wearing a 15" ted baker shirt currently, it hasn't been through a wash cycle yet and I can comfortably put two finger under the collar with room to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post

Find a way to exercise your neck. Seriously. There is no OTR I can think of that's going to make a size that fits you. I'm a little taller than you, and about 15 lbs lighter, with a neck that's two inches larger and even I have trouble finding shirts that fit.

 

 

 

 

BTW how is TM Lewin, I keep seeing them and thinking cheeeeeep but if they're crap I don't wanna buy them.


I think as I may have mentioned to you in a couple of posts on the MC Casual thread, I am trying to bulk up my upper body, particularly my shoulders that were thought to be too narrow. Maybe that will lead to my collar size increasing. I think I'll just have to put off dressing well for a few more months and have to accept dressing average for now.

As for quality of TM Lewin, I haven't bought from them before so I can't say though at 5 shirts for £100 they seemed the right price. Unfortunately I was unsure if I wanted 5 dress shirts and the fit wasn't quite right so I passed them up.
post #14077 of 29128
529
529
529


Is this conservative enough for job interviews, normal formal events, etc?

thanks
post #14078 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post


have you tried searching the forum for "heel slip"?

I hadn't even considered that, but I'll do it right now. Thanks.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


fit looks more than ok on the pictures. nobody can take away your perceptions, though, as shoe fit is much more individual than clothes fitting, imo. try to get as much carpet time as possible with them, only time can tell.


Will do. Thanks.

 

post #14079 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronxs View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
529
529
529
Is this conservative enough for job interviews, normal formal events, etc?
thanks

Yes.
post #14080 of 29128

Hi guys !

 

What are the most expensive fabrics with which to build a man's jacket?

How do they rank from most expensive to least expensive?

 

In no particular order:

Wool, linen, silk, polyester, cashmere, merino wool, flax,

 

Thanks

 

post #14081 of 29128

I'm thinking about buying this C&J belt, what do you guys think?

 

grain-darkbrown.jpg

post #14082 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by clotheshound View Post

Hi guys !

What are the most expensive fabrics with which to build a man's jacket?
How do they rank from most expensive to least expensive?

In no particular order:
Wool, linen, silk, polyester, cashmere, merino wool, flax,

Thanks

lurker[1].gif
post #14083 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDee View Post

I'm going to a wedding this summer in North Carolina. Which of these shoes would be best to wear with a blue seersucker suit?261
Thanks in advance.

#3
post #14084 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronxs View Post


Is this conservative enough for job interviews, normal formal events, etc?
thanks



Absolutely.  Make sure your tie is as well and probably best to stick with a white shirt.  Just my suggestion.

 

post #14085 of 29128
Quote:
Originally Posted by clotheshound View Post

Hi guys !
What are the most expensive fabrics with which to build a man's jacket?
How do they rank from most expensive to least expensive?
In no particular order:
Wool, linen, silk, polyester, cashmere, merino wool, flax,
Thanks

not sure it's more expensive than the ass-fuzz wool of the virgin fairy nymphs of Atlantis, but the Hosni Mubarak pinstripes will reportedly run you around $25,000.
237


srsly tho' I believe Vicuna is the most expensive wool fabric at around $4,000/yard.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/worlds-most-expensive-suit-for-indian-tyc/723379/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here