or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 809

post #12121 of 28243
Entry level questions: Any recommended brands (around 100) that offer a drainpipe style flat front/slim fit trouser? What size leg opening would best compliment dress boots (e.g. chelsea boots)?
post #12122 of 28243
Got my first bowie today and am learning how to tie it. It has two sides (pretty cool) and I am curious about something.

Imagine the sides are red (A) and black (B). When you get to the last step where you bring the long end behind the bowshape you've made from the shorter end and pass it through the loop, what side is facing forward? You know how a bowtie is actually two batwing shapes, one in front of the other? Say I have red showing, what color is showing on the batwing behind the primary one? Is it black or red?

Thanks.
post #12123 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

Got my first bowie today and am learning how to tie it. It has two sides (pretty cool) and I am curious about something.

Imagine the sides are red (A) and black (B). When you get to the last step where you bring the long end behind the bowshape you've made from the shorter end and pass it through the loop, what side is facing forward? You know how a bowtie is actually two batwing shapes, one in front of the other? Say I have red showing, what color is showing on the batwing behind the primary one? Is it black or red?

Thanks.

I guess you could tie it either way. I suppose you would normally have the same colour facing forward on both ends, you could have them in two different colours for a different effect.
post #12124 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

Got my first bowie today and am learning how to tie it. It has two sides (pretty cool) and I am curious about something.
Imagine the sides are red (A) and black (B). When you get to the last step where you bring the long end behind the bowshape you've made from the shorter end and pass it through the loop, what side is facing forward? You know how a bowtie is actually two batwing shapes, one in front of the other? Say I have red showing, what color is showing on the batwing behind the primary one? Is it black or red?
Thanks.

On the front part, the outside of the loop will be red. On the back part, the outside of the loop will be black.

This is assuming you tie it the normal way and don't put any kind of twist into it.
Like this... (Click to show)
dsc_0020.jpg
post #12125 of 28243
I'm thinking about giving Indochino a try, and trying to deciding on a pattern. Is this subtle charcoal plaid pattern versatile enough for a go-to any occasion suit? Would I be better off without the plaid?

263263
post #12126 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrewsmcknight View Post

I'm thinking about giving Indochino a try, and trying to deciding on a pattern. Is this subtle charcoal plaid pattern versatile enough for a go-to any occasion suit? Would I be better off without the plaid?
]

Could you do it? Of course. Is a solid more versatile? Yes.

If you have solids and like the pattern/color, go for it.
post #12127 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

On the front part, the outside of the loop will be red. On the back part, the outside of the loop will be black.
This is assuming you tie it the normal way and don't put any kind of twist into it. Like this... (Click to show)
dsc_0020.jpg

Now I am confused because you guys gave me two different and opposite answers!
post #12128 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

Now I am confused because you guys gave me two different and opposite answers!

We might just be thinking of it differently.

The only way you can get the same pattern on the outside of the loops is if you twist the tie.

If you think of it in terms of the single end (not the loop), if you tie it normally, both single ends will have the same pattern facing forward.
post #12129 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

We might just be thinking of it differently.
The only way you can get the same pattern on the outside of the loops is if you twist the tie.
If you think of it in terms of the single end (not the loop), if you tie it normally, both single ends will have the same pattern facing forward.

Thanks for posting the video. It helped me answer another question I had which is how they got this look, where the center stripe is the opposite of the main bow. (Gray on floral)

350

What's confusing is when I tried it at home last night, I had a very visible and obvious twist. If you watch the video, he has an ugly twist visible too. But in the picture above, it's clean, no twist.

I don't have a tie in front of me but using my Side A and Side by example again, if one were to tie a bowtie the most traditional way (no tricks), starting with Side A, what would be visible (forward facing) for:

1. Front loop
2. Front single end
3. Rear loop
4. Rear facing end
5. Front middle part

?
post #12130 of 28243

Thanks for posting the video. I've been wondering about this for awhile but never got round to looking it up.

post #12131 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

I don't have a tie in front of me but using my Side A and Side by example again, if one were to tie a bowtie the most traditional way (no tricks), starting with Side A, what would be visible (forward facing) for:

1. Front loop - Side A
2. Front blade - Side A
3. Rear loop - Side B
4. Rear blade - Side A
5. Center loop - Side A

This is the best image I found that shows it:

234
post #12132 of 28243

Hi,

 

I have 2 suits that have lapel widths of 3" and 3.25". I just dug up an old tuxedo jacket that has a lapel width of 3.5".  I was wondering, in all of your opinion, if 3.5" is too wide for lapels? I would post pictures but my camera isn't working. 

 

Thanks in advance,

CuffLinks28

 

post #12133 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuffLinks28 View Post

I have 2 suits that have lapel widths of 3" and 3.25". I just dug up an old tuxedo jacket that has a lapel width of 3.5".  I was wondering, in all of your opinion, if 3.5" is too wide for lapels?

As far as I'm concerned, 3.5" is the minimum width. No guts = no glory.
post #12134 of 28243

Quick question. Was this a good price for this pair of Vass? I didn't bid on it because I wasn't really sure..

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160708522542?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

post #12135 of 28243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollafan View Post

Quick question. Was this a good price for this pair of Vass? I didn't bid on it because I wasn't really sure..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160708522542?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It was a f*cking great price; I wish I had bid on it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here