or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here - Page 682

post #10216 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jays978 View Post

I need to have the strap on messenger bag sewn back on. It is rather thick leather to sew through. Is there a tailor/seamstress I can go to in the Boston area? Thanks!

Take it to a cobbler. Sewing thick pieces of leather together is their specialty.
post #10217 of 28327
how much does a tuxedo cost?
like a decent quality ... not a complete piece of trash
but no need for something too nice
who makes a decent tuxedo for a good price?
but i'm not sure what makes a "good" tuxedo .. so i will need some guidance

i wore a rented tuxedo for my sister's wedding yesterday and it was such a piece of trash that i wanted to burn it
so if it's not too expensive, i think i will just buy my own tuxedo next time
post #10218 of 28327
Quote:
Sample product should be the same. If anything, they may have some flaws (missing labels, etc.), but material is the same. That said, for silk, thickness and quality do not necessarily go together. They are cheaper because they're... samples. Dozens of even hundreds of people have touched it, tried it in store, so they're not actually "new".

I see. So who are the dozens/hundreds of people who touch the ties? Because don't hundreds of customers touch the ones in stores? But those aren't samples.

Thanks!
post #10219 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post

If I'm in a store looking at shoes and I don't recognize a brand name, how can I tell if the shoe is well made? Along the same lines, what makes a shoe 'worth buying' in terms of quality?

Here's a trick I use in thrift stores to quickly sort through shoes on a shelf- look at the leather-if it has a slightly roughened surface like the skin of an orange it is cheap leather and a mediocre quality shoe. With a little practice you will know what I'm talking about.

If you see threads on the sole- a sewn sole- this indicates at least a minimally decent level of quality. Lack of visible threads does not necessarily mean poor quality, however.

Look inside the shoe-is the lining a fine, soft leather that has been sewn in-this indicates high quality

Learn to identify shell cordovan leather-there are threads discussing that here- shell is an expensive leather only used in high quality shoes

Square toed shoes are highly likely to be poor quality-(although some good makers have produced them, but you wouldn't want to buy those models anyway

Made in Italy, England, France, or USA is a possible indicator of quality, though no guarantee

Quality of a shoe is not correlated to its weight- high quality shoes may be either light or heavy, poor quality shoes may be either light or heavy as well.

Go to a good department or shoe store and examine and handle shoes of brands you know to be high quality, then go to a cheap shoe store such as Payless and examine those shoes.It's a real learning experience you will soon be able to pretty easily tell the good from the junk
post #10220 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBacon View Post

Quote:
Sample product should be the same. If anything, they may have some flaws (missing labels, etc.), but material is the same. That said, for silk, thickness and quality do not necessarily go together. They are cheaper because they're... samples. Dozens of even hundreds of people have touched it, tried it in store, so they're not actually "new".

I see. So who are the dozens/hundreds of people who touch the ties? Because don't hundreds of customers touch the ones in stores? But those aren't samples.

Thanks!

I don't think a sample and a display model are the same thing. A sample is for a retailer to evaluate. A display model is for retail customers to evaluate.
post #10221 of 28327
Thank you, exactly the sort of response I had hoped for.
post #10222 of 28327
Help , I need a tailor ASAP.... I live in the New York City area.... I need an excellent master tailor ... The tailors I worked with in the past were all hacks..
post #10223 of 28327


go to campos and campos and go find apollo, hes one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccalmicker View Post

Help , I need a tailor ASAP.... I live in the New York City area.... I need an excellent master tailor ... The tailors I worked with in the past were all hacks..


 

post #10224 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymil View Post

 


Yup, there's a 45-day probation period before you can post a thread to B&S, unless you pay for one of the premium seller levels. But the cheapest one is only $1 for a few days. Welcome to SF!

Thanks for the welcome and the explanation, man. I didn´t know about the 45-day probation. I was merely just looking to buy a burberry prorsum leather jacket from the awesome 2010-2011 spring collection. i know it´s a long shot to find someone who is actually selling one, but maybe I´m lucky and I end up finding one.
 

 

post #10225 of 28327


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymil View Post

 


Yup, there's a 45-day probation period before you can post a thread to B&S, unless you pay for one of the premium seller levels. But the cheapest one is only $1 for a few days. Welcome to SF!



Thanks for the welcome and for clearing some doubts. I was merely just looking to buy a Burberry prorsum leather jacket from the spring 2010-11 collection. i know it´s a long shot to find specifically that and someone who is actually selling his in the site, but it can´t hurt to try.

post #10226 of 28327
I'm starting a new job, and the dress code is black suit and white shirt along with any colour tie. Was wondering what sort of tie you guys would recommend. And as for shoes, would black be my only option or would brown be acceptable as well?
post #10227 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy View Post

I recently started a new job and I'm looking to get some trousers. The trousers I'm currently wearing are from a Lanvin suit I purchased. Looking for something relatively slim fitting(5'7, 150lbs). The Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald seem it may be a good fit. Any recommendations?
Their Milano line would better suit you than Fitzgerald.
post #10228 of 28327

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemo View Post

I'm starting a new job, and the dress code is black suit and white shirt along with any colour tie. Was wondering what sort of tie you guys would recommend. And as for shoes, would black be my only option or would brown be acceptable as well?
 


Black suit, black shoes. As for the tie... black or shades of gray, or patterns that include black. Black suits are much more restrictive than gray.

post #10229 of 28327
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemo View Post

I'm starting a new job, and the dress code is black suit and white shirt along with any colour tie. Was wondering what sort of tie you guys would recommend. And as for shoes, would black be my only option or would brown be acceptable as well?

Are you working as a waiter? What kind of job requires a black suit?
post #10230 of 28327

Does anybody know of an online retailer that sells a wide range of Harmont and Blaine offerings, preferably in North America?  I know Yoox always seems to have a smattering of their stuff, but I'm hoping to find a place with more on offer.

 

I know logos are not kosher for the majority here, and generally speaking I agree.  My wife, who is allergic to dogs, loves dachshunds and I think she would get a kick out of the logo on a sport shirt or polo. So for her, i am making an exception.

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here