or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 641

post #9601 of 30353
i just bought my first french cuff dress shirt at brooks brothers
it came with the silk knots in the cuffs
i do not own any cuff links yet
is it ok to wear the shirt with those silk knots and not a set of cuff links?
or are they merely acting as a placeholder of some sort?
post #9602 of 30353
Is this tie too prep/academia? Or can I wear to interviews, what other type of occasions?

TIE-WNM_tall_front.jpg
post #9603 of 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

i just bought my first french cuff dress shirt at brooks brothers
it came with the silk knots in the cuffs
i do not own any cuff links yet
is it ok to wear the shirt with those silk knots and not a set of cuff links?
or are they merely acting as a placeholder of some sort?

It's okay to wear them.
post #9604 of 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1223 View Post

http://blog.whereisthecool.com/post/8910881065

are these alden longwings? maybe its just me but they look different.

They say 'Alden' in them. And they're long-wings. How could they possibly not be Alden long-wings?
post #9605 of 30353

The slim fit looks promising. I have a yellow J. Crew and I find it too blousy if I tuck it in. The button down should help with floppy collar syndrome as well.
post #9606 of 30353
Colored buttons (as in the pic below)...good, bad, or just personal preference. Is it best just to stick to a white MOP button on any shirt that will be utilized in dressier occasions?

500
post #9607 of 30353
post #9608 of 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Is this tie too prep/academia? Or can I wear to interviews, what other type of occasions?

TIE-WNM_tall_front.jpg

I like it, but might just fall short of appropriate for interviews.

I'd wear it on weekends, work days out of court, and other such occasions.
post #9609 of 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post


It's okay to wear them.

Yup, and there's more than one here who prefer them to metal cufflinks.

And Harvey- why wouldn't that tie be appropriate for court? The orange pops, but it's still a striped navy tie. I would put that in the conservative, but not interview category.
Edited by cptjeff - 8/15/11 at 7:47pm
post #9610 of 30353

I just bought a very nice fitted tan colored chino blazer and was wondering how to wear it with dressier jeans?  Can anyone shed some light on how to dress up and dress down the jacket?  I work at my family's real estate business, which I will be the CEO of in 3 years.  The dress is very laid back so a sport coat and jeans with loafers are fine.  I was thinking the easiest thing to wear would be the dark denim, white shirt, and navy knit tie with the tan sports coat, but I was looking for some other options, especially how to dress it down when I need to meet contractors and homebuyers at the job site.  

 

All your help is greatly appreciated!

post #9611 of 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

I just bought a very nice fitted tan colored chino blazer and was wondering how to wear it with dressier jeans?  Can anyone shed some light on how to dress up and dress down the jacket?  I work at my family's real estate business, which I will be the CEO of in 3 years.  The dress is very laid back so a sport coat and jeans with loafers are fine.  I was thinking the easiest thing to wear would be the dark denim, white shirt, and navy knit tie with the tan sports coat, but I was looking for some other options, especially how to dress it down when I need to meet contractors and homebuyers at the job site.  

 

All your help is greatly appreciated!



I stick with dark jeans, personally.  When I'm wearing jeans and a blazer I usually don't wear a tie.  Not saying it doesn't work.. just saying don't limit yourself to a solid shirt and dark tie.  Try some plaids, checks, and patterns.  And add a colorful pocket square too.  

 

I also like the look of wearing Sperry's with my casual blazers.  Not sure what other SFers think about Sperry's w/ blazers?  

post #9612 of 30353

I have wide/big/bitch hips and a not-so-wide torso.  My body is just....awkward.  People don't generally notice.

 

What kinds of jeans/pants should I be focusing on buying and where should I be looking at them from?

 

I like the skinny style of pants, but my legs are kind of big and I dont think it would look good to show the natural form of my leg.

 

A pant that was tight in the thighs but them widened up at the bottom to make my body look more "straight" would be amazing

 

 

post #9613 of 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post

I have wide/big/bitch hips and a not-so-wide torso.  My body is just....awkward.  People don't generally notice.

 

What kinds of jeans/pants should I be focusing on buying and where should I be looking at them from?

 

I like the skinny style of pants, but my legs are kind of big and I dont think it would look good to show the natural form of my leg.

 

A pant that was tight in the thighs but them widened up at the bottom to make my body look more "straight" would be amazing

 

 


Try this thread for jeans questions:

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/91068/denim-101-for-men-s-clothing/0_30
post #9614 of 30353
Bought a couple J. Crew 95% cotton/5% cashmere V-neck sweaters (these: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sweaters/cottoncashmere/PRDOVR~29235/29235.jsp). They fit good in the shoulders but slightly baggy in the body. Will they shrink after washing and laying flat to dry, or will the fact that these should never enter a dryer preclude them from ever becoming smaller and fitting better?

Thanks!
post #9615 of 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardguy View Post

Bought a couple J. Crew 95% cotton/5% cashmere V-neck sweaters (these: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sweaters/cottoncashmere/PRDOVR~29235/29235.jsp). They fit good in the shoulders but slightly baggy in the body. Will they shrink after washing and laying flat to dry, or will the fact that these should never enter a dryer preclude them from ever becoming smaller and fitting better?

Thanks!

I dated a girl who worked at J Crew for a few months and in that time accumulated pretty much every color in the rainbow of these guys. I also had the exact same problem as you. Fit great in the shoulders and chest but after a few hours of wearing they began to sag and the drape became unflattering. I brought a couple to my tailor and he was able to slim some of them successfully (some not so much), but really all that meant was that I could get a wear or two out before I had to wash again. I even tried drying one straight up in the dryer but all it really did was shrink the waist band and left the sides even more noticeably baggy.

All and all I have come to the conclusion that these guys are made for layering. I generally throw them over a shirt and under a jacket or SC. My advice would be to ask your tailor (if he's good/comfortable with doing sweaters) if he'd take a crack at it. I was willing to be experimental with mine because I was getting them for like $10 a pop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)