or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 502

post #7516 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezo View Post
Hi,
I'd like some help regarding sizing and fit for these LL Bean bluchers I wanna get online. Not familiar with American sizes. I'm a EU 41.5 / 42 depending on the fit of the shoe, generally a 42. What would be the US equivalent? I also have wide feet. I've been told that general US sizes run a bit wide, should I chance the wider fit or go safe with the medium?

Thanks
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/11575?feat=592-GN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortis View Post
According to the Zappos.com size chart, a European 42 is a US 8 to 8.5. You might try measuring the length of each foot in inches (also on the size chart) to narrow it down.

The Zappos size chart doesn't cover widths, but the men's size chart (PDF) linked at the bottom of this page might help. Just make sure you print it out at 100% zoom, instead of letting your PDF reader shrink it to fit the page.

A Euro 41.5/42 is more like a UK 8-8.5, and a US 8.5 to 9.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ult-en.svg.png

You might want to email Bean's customer service to make sure, sizing across different systems (and manufacturers) can be dicey to estimate.
post #7517 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager View Post
Which is preferable with Black Tie? I would get them a serious shine, obviously. Not opposed to buying a new pair but couldn't find any that I liked. If anyone has any tips for getting some formal shoes in NYC (not looking to drop more than $200), please advise, but otherwise I will just get one of these pairs shined up.

Go to Florsheim or Johnston and Murphy and get a pair of patent oxfords for less than $200. The big debate about preferences for which shoes to wear for black tie has been done to death on here so I'm not getting in to all that but if you get patent oxfords you will be 100% correct for black tie both for your upcoming event and for many more in your future, and look 100 times better than wearing either of those worn down shabby examples you posted.
post #7518 of 33197
Do men match their shoes to their bags/briefcases??
post #7519 of 33197
Fair enough. I'll check them out today. Thanks. Update: Didn't like the offerings at Florsheim and Johnston and Murphy. Ended up getting a pair of Cole Haan Ludlows for about $200. Highly recommend them.
post #7520 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHH View Post
Do men match their shoes to their bags/briefcases??
No.
post #7521 of 33197
As a 1L looking to work at a smaller firm this summer, I plan on buying two pairs of shoes (one nicer and one less expensive). After reading through some threads, I got the impression that people do not actually wear black shoes around the office too much. If this is correct, would I be better off getting the more expensive shoes (like an AE Park Ave) in a color like oxblood or brown and then getting the less expensive pair in a black captoe oxford (maybe Johnston and Murphy or even lower quality)? Thanks for the input!
post #7522 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
As a 1L looking to work at a smaller firm this summer, I plan on buying two pairs of shoes (one nicer and one less expensive). After reading through some threads, I got the impression that people do not actually wear black shoes around the office too much. If this is correct, would I be better off getting the more expensive shoes (like an AE Park Ave) in a color like oxblood or brown and then getting the less expensive pair in a black captoe oxford (maybe Johnston and Murphy or even lower quality)? Thanks for the input!
That's my strategy. My sole pair of non-formal (black tie shoes can't really do double duty with business wear) black shoes gets worn almost exclusively for job interviews or funerals, both of which are thankfully relatively infrequent occasions.
post #7523 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager View Post
Fair enough. I'll check them out today. Thanks.

Update:
Didn't like the offerings at Florsheim and Johnston and Murphy. Ended up getting a pair of Cole Haan Ludlows for about $200. Highly recommend them.

Good choice. I actually prefer bluchers to oxfords, my patent J and Ms look almost the same as them.

Brands like j and m, Florsheim, Cole Haan aren't viewed too favourably here for normal shoes but for black tie patents which you will wear a few times a year, propriety and comfort are more important than longevity and you will look much better than in everyday shoes. Well done!
post #7524 of 33197
who makes shirts with a soft straight point collar? on the long side; no short collars, please.
post #7525 of 33197
Is this suit light enough to be worn with brown shoes and belt? http://www.indochino.com/product/Ultimate-Gray-Suit Thanks
post #7526 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
That's my strategy. My sole pair of non-formal (black tie shoes can't really do double duty with business wear) black shoes gets worn almost exclusively for job interviews or funerals, both of which are thankfully relatively infrequent occasions.

Thanks for the input. If I get a brown pair as my non-black pair, would you recommend AE Strand's in Dark Brown Burnished Calf or Walnut? Keep in mind that these will be worn with gray pants/suit (light or dark, whichever looks better) and maybe my navy suit. Any input is much appreciated.
post #7527 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by housie View Post
Is this suit light enough to be worn with brown shoes and belt?

http://www.indochino.com/product/Ultimate-Gray-Suit

Thanks
Yes, a walnut color would probably work best although a little lighter or a little darker would also be passable.
post #7528 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post
Good choice. I actually prefer bluchers to oxfords, my patent J and Ms look almost the same as them.
Ugh, a patent blucher is neither fish nor fowl.
post #7529 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
Thanks for the input. If I get a brown pair as my non-black pair, would you recommend AE Strand's in Dark Brown Burnished Calf or Walnut? Keep in mind that these will be worn with gray pants/suit (light or dark, whichever looks better) and maybe my navy suit. Any input is much appreciated.
Dark brown is the most versatile and appropriate for the typically conservative law firm.
post #7530 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
Yes, a walnut color would probably work best although a little lighter or a little darker would also be passable.

Thank you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)