or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 437

post #6541 of 33197
Question on a pair of cognac Magnanni Rafael lace ups I just picked up (nice price, $189 from 269)...

I like the look and finish of the leather but what would you pair this light "cognac" brown with? I was thinking gray wool but was wondering everyone's thoughts on other combos? Khaki? Navy blue? Stonewash?

Also, what is the feel on the "smoked/fade" toe effect? Works? Doesn't work?
A bit modern but my thought is it makes what would be an otherwise boring brown plain-toe a bit more interesting...

Thanks!
LL
LL
LL
post #6542 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael34 View Post
I have just one question, did any of you guys read all of this thread? It is damn long and never ending.
I read just the last pages for the newest questions/answers and maybe some others randomly to try and learn something from those answers. Any short question should go here so this is effectively never ending.
post #6543 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEstSidE View Post
why should the quarters be closed so as not to show "turkey triangle"
i have seen jackets that are cut to intentionally have "turkey triangle"

If you like it go for it, but it looks shit. Like people wearing untucked shirts under woolen sweaters thinking it gives off an air of devil may care casual élan when in reality it either makes you look like a scruffy schoolboy or that you're trying too hard to give off an air of casual élan.
post #6544 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
The pinch test will tell you whether the jacket is canvassed or not. This is not bad advice. Fabric quality and other aspects of construction quality are things that you really have to experience to recognize. If you don't have the experience, it's not a bad idea to look for labels that are known to produce quality goods.
Thanks for both answers. My next question is more specific. I measure out to a 38 l. As far ad I can tell, virtually no on makes suits in this size. I am looking to spend around 500. Am I doomed to online m2m? My measurements. Chest: 37.5 in Shoulders:18-18.5 (I'm not quite sure if i'm doing this one correctly sleeves: 26 in (I don't have a good suit to get this measurement off of but I think this is right) Jacket length: 31 in. From what I can tell, I my shoulders may fit in some 40l, but will leave a lot of room in the chest for me to tailor. So my two questions are Can I tailor 2 to 3 inches off the chest without destroying how the jacket looks Or Can anyone tell me where to get a 38l suit for 500 or so
post #6545 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post
If you like it go for it, but it looks shit. Like people wearing untucked shirts under woolen sweaters thinking it gives off an air of devil may care casual élan when in reality it either makes you look like a scruffy schoolboy or that you're trying too hard to give off an air of casual élan.
my question is why does it look like shit to you? i am looking for justifications. if it's just that you're old and learned it was a "fashion rule" when you were young, then why even bother putting it out there? i could go pick up a cosmopolitan magazine and find out if i'm a "winter" or a "summer" and it wouldn't change anything. if there are practical reasons against it, let's hear it.
post #6546 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEstSidE View Post
my question is why does it look like shit to you? i am looking for justifications. if it's just that you're old and learned it was a "fashion rule" when you were young, then why even bother putting it out there? i could go pick up a cosmopolitan magazine and find out if i'm a "winter" or a "summer" and it wouldn't change anything. if there are practical reasons against it, let's hear it.
It can work on a very limited few. You have to be very skinny though. If not it looks like your stomach is bulging out of a too small jacket. I am relatively fashion forward compared to a lot of people here and i woild say approach with extreme caution. Without the right body and perfect tailoring it often look less trendy and more ill fitting.
post #6547 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinhilion View Post
Thanks for both answers. My next question is more specific. I measure out to a 38 l. As far ad I can tell, virtually no on makes suits in this size. I am looking to spend around 500. Am I doomed to online m2m?




My measurements.

Chest: 37.5 in

Shoulders:18-18.5 (I'm not quite sure if i'm doing this one correctly

sleeves: 26 in (I don't have a good suit to get this measurement off of but I think this is right)

Jacket length: 31 in.

From what I can tell, I my shoulders may fit in some 40l, but will leave a lot of room in the chest for me to tailor.

So my two questions are

Can I tailor 2 to 3 inches of the chest without destroying how the jacket looks
Or
Can anyone tell me where to get a 38l suit for 500 or so


1) How tall are you that you need an L?

2) Sleeves get adjusted. It's normal.

3) If you're broad shouldered to your chest then look at the brands that aren't cut with slim shoulders.
post #6548 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
1) How tall are you that you need an L?

2) Sleeves get adjusted. It's normal.

3) If you're broad shouldered to your chest then look at the brands that aren't cut with slim shoulders.

I'm 6'3". Also my concern is the chest not sleeves. As to 3 I am not sure i am even broad shouldered enough for a 40. That is part of my concern.
post #6549 of 33197
No I meant broad shouldered for somebody with a 38 inch chest. Some brands cut the shoulders slim. Some cut them wide. Anything cut with narrow shoulders a person with wide shoulders would need a bigger size. That makes everything else too big. Better to ignore these brands and find one that fits you better in your shoulder. I think the rule is more then 6 inches wider then the chest. So take your tape measure and measure over the arm your shoulders. At close to six inches a person is average. The wider you get the more the shoulders become an issue.
post #6550 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
No I meant broad shouldered for somebody with a 38 inch chest. Some brands cut the shoulders slim. Some cut them wide. Anything cut with narrow shoulders a person with wide shoulders would need a bigger size. That makes everything else too big. Better to ignore these brands and find one that fits you better in your shoulder. I think the rule is more then 6 inches wider then the chest. So take your tape measure and measure over the arm your shoulders. At close to six inches a person is average. The wider you get the more the shoulders become an issue.
I get it now. I measured about a 1.5 in down from the top of my shoulder and got almost exactly 44. Edit: I had someone else re measure me and they are getting more like 45 or 46. Where should I be measuring.
post #6551 of 33197
Hey

It is okay to wear Allen Edmonds black cap toe oxfords with dark blue jeans, or must they be brown?
post #6552 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Hey

It is okay to wear Allen Edmonds black cap toe oxfords with dark blue jeans, or must they be brown?

You could wear black or brown with jeans. But why would you wear such a formal shoe with jeans?
post #6553 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinhilion View Post
I get it now. I measured about a 1.5 in down from the top of my shoulder and got almost exactly 44.

Edit: I had someone else re measure me and they are getting more like 45 or 46. Where should I be measuring.

I think it's supposed to the widest part of your shoulder area. It's hard to do it yourself so best to go with the other measurement.
post #6554 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post
You could wear black or brown with jeans. But why would you wear such a formal shoe with jeans?

I was just wondering - I suppose I choose some another trousers.
post #6555 of 33197
When listing in B&S, is it considered poor form or a bannable offense to add, say, two new items every few days? It'd make things easier. It would also seem to keep the thread bumped w/o a price reduction, I guess. Couldn't find this in the rules. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)