or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 378

post #5656 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrams View Post
Can anyone recommend a tailor in downtown / FiDi San Francisco for suit alteration? If one is familiar with Style Forum, all the better!
Oxford Tailors. Be warned, however, that they're expensive. I also use Advanced European Tailors in Berkeley and have found them to be excellent. They're much cheaper than Oxford, though maybe not as experienced as OT. Still, I've had them do serious surgery on sportcoats (such as narrowing the shoulders) and they've turned out very well.
post #5657 of 33080
Who is the person at the shirt factory that's in charge of folding up shirts for packaging and is all like, "Press those barrel cuffs FLAT. Put some weight into it! Really crease that shit!"
post #5658 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachboy View Post
Who is the person at the shirt factory that's in charge of folding up shirts for packaging and is all like, "Press those barrel cuffs FLAT. Put some weight into it! Really crease that shit!"

This guy:
post #5659 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingred View Post
Oxford Tailors. Be warned, however, that they're expensive. I also use Advanced European Tailors in Berkeley and have found them to be excellent. They're much cheaper than Oxford, though maybe not as experienced as OT. Still, I've had them do serious surgery on sportcoats (such as narrowing the shoulders) and they've turned out very well.

Thanks much!! I will check them both!
post #5660 of 33080
This is my first post in this forum. Let`s not kill this chicken, boys.

I am wondering what this kind of shirt is known as:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1267786037

I would like to use it along a dress and a bow tie, and therefore, I want a different collar than the one in the picture. However, that`s the only shirt I`ve found in a shop, so I am clueless here.

Thanks for any help,
Erlend
post #5661 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlendsen View Post
This is my first post in this forum. Let`s not kill this chicken, boys. I am wondering what this kind of shirt is known as: http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1267786037 I would like to use it along a dress and a bow tie, and therefore, I want a different collar than the one in the picture. However, that`s the only shirt I`ve found in a shop, so I am clueless here. Thanks for any help, Erlend
That's a wing-collar tuxedo shirt that is technically proper for white-tie formal affairs. For black-tie events, the turn-down collar tuxedo shirt (see http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3063050) is appropriate. I'm not sure what you mean by using it "along a dress and a bow tie," but neither shirt is appropriate for anything other than white or black tie wear.
post #5662 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
That's a wing-collar tuxedo shirt that is technically proper for white-tie formal affairs. For black-tie events, the turn-down collar tuxedo shirt (see http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3063050) is appropriate. I'm not sure what you mean by using it "along a dress and a bow tie," but neither shirt is appropriate for anything other than white or black tie wear.

Okay, thanks for the help!

I got inspired by the movie American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman wears a black tuxedo, that kind of shirt, and a bow tie. Is that a fashion faux pas?
post #5663 of 33080
What brand is the tie on the left? It only has that symbol and no name. (pictured next to the Versace tie I got today for 50 cents)

post #5664 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlendsen View Post
Okay, thanks for the help!

I got inspired by the movie American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman wears a black tuxedo, that kind of shirt, and a bow tie. Is that a fashion faux pas?
Yes, but a relatively common one since many people wear wing collars with black tie attire. Perhaps its frequency makes it less egregious? I don't know. I just wear a turn-down collar with black tie.
post #5665 of 33080
What do people do with hats/gloves in overcoats? They aren't something I can't afford to have with me currently, but putting them in my coat's pockets make me look pregnant.
post #5666 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post
What do people do with hats/gloves in overcoats? They aren't something I can't afford to have with me currently, but putting them in my coat's pockets make me look pregnant.

I put my gloves in the the breast pocket, but I have a waxed cotton driving jacket, so the pocket's size makes that a bit easier. No idea what you mean by a hat, as you can't put hats in overcoats?
post #5667 of 33080
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingred View Post
I put my gloves in the the breast pocket, but I have a waxed cotton driving jacket, so the pocket's size makes that a bit easier. No idea what you mean by a hat, as you can't put hats in overcoats?

I guess instead of "hat" I meant more "beanie". I have a couple pairs of gloves: one slim and one thick and warm. The thick ones create a large bulge.
post #5668 of 33080
what happened to manton
post #5669 of 33080
Is a pair of resoled vintage FLORSHEIM inferior to the one with orginal soles? I have an eye on a pair of wingtips on ebay.
post #5670 of 33080
http://men.brownsshoes.com/eng_ca/pr...llSeason/21376

I recently bought these because I loved the way they look and were the last pair in my size, on sale.

As much as I love these boots I have two issues with them.
1) The soles of these boots have absolutely no grip on them, what can you guys suggest to add grip to these shoes?

2) The left boot feels tight where the laces begin at the bottom, and so when the boot flexes the crease formed pinches down against my foot. Is there something I can do about this?

Thanks again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)