or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 363

post #5431 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by phailing101 View Post
Hi guys- just wearing a new suit (Coppley- medium grey) and I'm trying to determine if my AE Strands in Walnut are too light of a colour......I should clarify that I'm cursed with colour blindness as well which can cause delusional colour matching choices at times!

I think they look OK but I'm thinking I'll wear a darker shade of brown shoes next time.

What do you think? Do the colours work?

Thanks!

I think they are a tad light for those trousers. I would probably give that look a shot in the spring, though - with a similar belt, light blue shirt and camel jacket it ought to work fine.
post #5432 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson View Post
Bump for some advice please?

Not really much specific knowledge on that line, so the best guesses I have are:

1. The fabric will show wear in a few seasons
2. If it's a thin/flat fabric, you may notice bubbling as the glue-basting starts to give
3. The fit will require a lot of tailoring to get right.

That said, if the color's right and the fit is spot-on, then you might not have a bad deal on your hands. But I'd still check B&S first.
post #5433 of 33126
Can I wear a suit jacket by itself? With jeans I mean.
post #5434 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
Can I wear a suit jacket by itself? With jeans I mean.

The rules say 'no', but you can get away with it in certain cases; it depends what colour/pattern the jacket is. It must not be pin-striped.
post #5435 of 33126
Crockett & Jones lasts - Does anyone know where to find a guide to C&J bench-grade lasts? More specifically I am looking for something slightly less elongated than the 348 last.
post #5436 of 33126
I'm interested in this BB suit as my first suit. My only concern is that the fabric is flannel. I saw the suit in a B&M store, the flannel was not heavy-weighted though. So is it acceptable for a first suit? Or I'd better find other suits with more conventional fabrics?
post #5437 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post
Crockett & Jones lasts -

Does anyone know where to find a guide to C&J bench-grade lasts? More specifically I am looking for something slightly less elongated than the 348 last.

Just look through their catalog. This is a 2008-2009 catalog: http://plal.com/main/uploads/images/cj/cj2008-9.pdf
post #5438 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi View Post
I'm interested in this BB suit as my first suit.
My only concern is that the fabric is flannel. I saw the suit in a B&M store, the flannel was not heavy-weighted though. So is it acceptable for a first suit? Or I'd better find other suits with more conventional fabrics?

Flannel (iirc) only covers how the wool is woven into fabric, so I don't think that would be a concern. As for weight, I don't really call that a concern since you should wear something over it in the winter. Summertime may be another issue, though.

The issue, to me at least, concerns where you're going to wear this suit. The slim cut and narrow lapels may not play well in some workplaces (banks, law firms, etc), so I would take your intended use into consideration.
post #5439 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
Just look through their catalog. This is a 2008-2009 catalog: http://plal.com/main/uploads/images/cj/cj2008-9.pdf

Thanks. I'll have a look.

Any suggestions? How is the 318?
post #5440 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Flannel (iirc) only covers how the wool is woven into fabric, so I don't think that would be a concern. As for weight, I don't really call that a concern since you should wear something over it in the winter. Summertime may be another issue, though.

The issue, to me at least, concerns where you're going to wear this suit. The slim cut and narrow lapels may not play well in some workplaces (banks, law firms, etc), so I would take your intended use into consideration.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
I'm still a graduate student, so the occasions when I need a suit are mainly academic conferences. Maybe I could take a look at their Fitz cut (whose lapels are slightly wider).
post #5441 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I'm still a graduate student, so the occasions when I need a suit are mainly academic conferences. Maybe I could take a look at their Fitz cut (whose lapels are slightly wider).

I think the slightly wider lapels will also make the suit look less-dated in a few years. Ideally you want something that doesn't tell everyone when you bought it.

Of course, I say that, and my favorite jacket is a bespoke job my grandfather had done in the '60's. It barely has any lapels to speak of. Ah well.
post #5442 of 33126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post
Thanks. I'll have a look.

Any suggestions? How is the 318?

341 is less elongate than 348, but not as "clunky" as many other lasts. It really depends on the personal taste, and fit too.
post #5443 of 33126
Does anyone have teh C&J Connaught? (236 last). How does the instep compare to the 341?
post #5444 of 33126
Does anyone have any opinions (good or bad) or BB's current Chesterfield Coat? I'm looking for something not in black or navy, and this looks like a decent choice. Not sure on the ticket pocket. I'm tempted to get it with the sale coming up (I am aware there are Black Fleece iterations on Ebay right now, but I detest paypal), but my wife thinks the tan Chesterfield looks horrible.

Edit - picture of said Chesterfield coat...

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Broo...ProductImages$
post #5445 of 33126
Hi everyone.... I just picked up a pair C&J Clifford (337) in tan and I'm looking for more affordable version of the Belgrave in black. I'm a 27 y/o student, so I learned it was best to invest in brown and burgundy shoes. I just can't drop another $500 on a pair that I'll just use for occasional interviews, serious event, funeral etc. I found the Connaught to be a bit foddy-doddy and the Hallam to be too elongated. I wear a size 9.5UK and I would prefer an English maker. Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)