or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 325

post #4861 of 33186
Hi, new here!

I know it's bad to buy orphaned suit pieces and try to match them because the color often won't match, but does the same hold true for tuxedo separates? Is the color harder to match for, say, midnight blue over black?
post #4862 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by silylether View Post
Hi, new here!

I know it's bad to buy orphaned suit pieces and try to match them because the color often won't match, but does the same hold true for tuxedo separates? Is the color harder to match for, say, midnight blue over black?

Yes. Mismatched blacks or very dark blues are just as bad as mismatched pieces in other colors.
post #4863 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstyle View Post
So I just received a pair of shoes in the mail and I am having a hard time telling if they are to big or not? If I tie them tight they seem fine. I can't really walk in them because then I can't return them. Any ideas on how to tell? My other dress shoes are 8.5 and these ones supposedly fit true to size. There is a fair amount in the toe box because they are long and come to a point. Something about them doesn't feel right. It might be because I don't own too many dress shoes and I am comparing them to the fit of other non dress shoes I have.

Walk around on carpet a bit.

Dress shoes should have some room in the toe box. They should fit your foot and be neither tight nor loose. The heel should not slip, though that's a hard one to judge, because it might slip a bit the first few times you wear them until it breaks in a bit.

You say something isn't right. Could you be a little more specific? How does it not feel right?
post #4864 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post
Okay I'm a beginner but I think I know the answer to this. Just need to check. A friend of mine is wearing a black suit with red threads on the shoulder line and along the cuffs. I think this looks like the jacket is unfinished and/or those threads need to be cut. He says it's intentional and part of the jacket.

Who's right? Is this egregiously foolish?

Thanks

Hard to tell without pics, but that sound like basting thread, which should be removed. Unless this is some low rent "stylish" getup?
post #4865 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey View Post
I would not wear that shirt with a suit of any kind. The problems with the suit you have are that the colors and pattens are too similar. With that tie, switch to a light blue shirt.

Yeah, after looking at it for a bit it was clear that I shouldn't be wearing them together. So much so that I'm not sure why I posted it in the first place. Thanks.

We'll see how it goes with gray, but maybe you're right that it's too busy.
post #4866 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post
Okay I'm a beginner but I think I know the answer to this. Just need to check. A friend of mine is wearing a black suit with red threads on the shoulder line and along the cuffs. I think this looks like the jacket is unfinished and/or those threads need to be cut. He says it's intentional and part of the jacket.

Who's right? Is this egregiously foolish?

Thanks

That's called basting and is meant to signify that the suit is brand new and unaltered. Tell him to pull it out.
post #4867 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiv View Post
Yeah, after looking at it for a bit it was clear that I shouldn't be wearing them together. So much so that I'm not sure why I posted it in the first place. Thanks.

We'll see how it goes with gray, but maybe you're right that it's too busy.

In general a dark shirt will not work with a suit. If you do it, then do it without a tie, since the tie should preferably be even darker than the shirt. However, to be on the safe side, stick to light shirts with suits. It usually looks better, so you aren't really losing anything.
post #4868 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstyle View Post
So I just received a pair of shoes in the mail and I am having a hard time telling if they are to big or not? If I tie them tight they seem fine. I can't really walk in them because then I can't return them. Any ideas on how to tell? My other dress shoes are 8.5 and these ones supposedly fit true to size. There is a fair amount in the toe box because they are long and come to a point. Something about them doesn't feel right. It might be because I don't own too many dress shoes and I am comparing them to the fit of other non dress shoes I have.

Walking on Carpet light steps would be fine. Carpet will not scratch the sole. Just don't bend the toe box too much, and it won't crease.

As other have said

The Heel should not slip

The widest part of your feet should match around the widest part of the shoe.

There shouldn't be a lot of pressure on the top of your feet (a lot of the more tapered shoes have this issue)

And where the shoe bend should not be on top of your little toe. It will get painful very fast.

The space in the toe box is not important, as long as your heel does not slip. The sharper/longer the chisel the more space you will have. That is normal.
post #4869 of 33186
When getting pants hemmed how much excess fabric does the tailor need beyond the length you are getting it hemmed to?
post #4870 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
When getting pants hemmed how much excess fabric does the tailor need beyond the length you are getting it hemmed to?
Not sure how to answer your question, but if it helps, here's what happened to one of my pants. They shrunk in the washer and I took them to my tailor to let them out a bit. They had just enough material for him to make them the length I wanted and, naturally, there was none left for the inside roll/cuff. However, he just used a similar fabric on the inside of the leg at the bottom to make it OK. So, the moral of the story is that a creative tailor needs very little extra material, since he can always use a similar piece of fabric inside.
post #4871 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post
Not sure how to answer your question, but if it helps, here's what happened to one of my pants. They shrunk in the washer and I took them to my tailor to let them out a bit. They had just enough material for him to make them the length I wanted and, naturally, there was none left for the inside roll/cuff. However, he just used a similar fabric on the inside of the leg at the bottom to make it OK. So, the moral of the story is that a creative tailor needs very little extra material, since he can always use a similar piece of fabric inside.
There would be .4 inch of fabric left to have the pants hemmed at the length I want. I had no idea a tailor could add a different fabric, but that seems like it could be a good idea.
post #4872 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post
There would be .4 inch of fabric left to have the pants hemmed at the length I want. I had no idea a tailor could add a different fabric, but that seems like it could be a good idea.

I'd guess that .4" should be enough.
post #4873 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
Walking on Carpet light steps would be fine. Carpet will not scratch the sole. Just don't bend the toe box too much, and it won't crease.

As other have said

The Heel should not slip

The widest part of your feet should match around the widest part of the shoe.

There shouldn't be a lot of pressure on the top of your feet (a lot of the more tapered shoes have this issue)

And where the shoe bend should not be on top of your little toe. It will get painful very fast.

The space in the toe box is not important, as long as your heel does not slip. The sharper/longer the chisel the more space you will have. That is normal.
Ok cool should my laces be pulled really tight? If I tie them tight it seems to be fine.
post #4874 of 33186
^ Snug but they shouldn't have to be pulled super tight. EZ
post #4875 of 33186
If the shoe sides don't overlap from pulling the laces too tight you are fine. However, do keep in mind that with time new shoes will probably stretch a little.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)