or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 294

post #4396 of 33197
I noticed on practically all my suit jackets that the left breast/lapel area seems to protrude out when buttoned. There is enough room to tuck my hand in there a la Napoleon Bonaparte. Is this normal or is it something a tailor could fix?
post #4397 of 33197
What size is your pant leg opening?

I've usually worn about 8.5-9" but I find with no break in the trou they flop around too much when walking and stick out too much when sitting. I've gone down to 8" (from the knee down) and find the look much better. Less flopping around and a trimmer look all around. Although it is tight around the socks especially when wearing knee highs but I think the look is worth it.
post #4398 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddillard3 View Post
I noticed on practically all my suit jackets that the left breast/lapel area seems to protrude out when buttoned. There is enough room to tuck my hand in there a la Napoleon Bonaparte. Is this normal or is it something a tailor could fix?

That's kind of weird. Try on a larger jacket and see if that happens again. I think your present jacket are too small and when you button them, your chest pushes against the fabric, thus creating the gape.

Either that or you're growing a left boob.
post #4399 of 33197
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddillard3 View Post
I noticed on practically all my suit jackets that the left breast/lapel area seems to protrude out when buttoned. There is enough room to tuck my hand in there a la Napoleon Bonaparte. Is this normal or is it something a tailor could fix?

might mean that one of your shoulders is quite a bit lower then the other...
post #4400 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post
thanks for the recommendation, but i've got shirts sorted for now, mainly i'm just looking for a low priced suit.

Indochino? (.com) I've never bought from them, but plenty of forum members have. Seems like it's the best value for the best fit at that price. They're really good about resizing, too.

See what people have to say inthis thread.
post #4401 of 33197


i have a zegna sportcoat that looks very similar to the above, but is charcoal with brown windowpane. i find myself never wearing it because i'm not a fan of the cut, though i think the fabric is amazing.

is there anything i can do about maybe having it shortened (or perhaps shaped in some other way) when i'm not even exactly sure what i want? i'd imagine taking it to some random tailor would be pretty risky? any suggestions? perhaps ask someone to make it look more like a jacket i already have and like?
post #4402 of 33197
Thanks a lot - just ordered some of that stuff!
post #4403 of 33197
I'm having a difficult time matching a tie and square to a DB suit I recently acquired. The suit is a shade of brown with faint yellow/tan, blue, and red windowpane. I'm wondering if an ecru/cream colored shirt, blue and yellow diamond pattern work with a square that is cream with yellow and navy blue. Would it be better with a light blue or white shirt rather than the ecru? Or are there any other suggestions for colored ties or squares? Thanks
post #4404 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by roloflex View Post
hi there
This is my first posting in this forum, so I hope I've chosen the right thread. I've just bought the suede version of the Loake Bryant (see attached). Very basic question, do suede shoes require shoe trees just as any other formal shoe?

Yes, trees are always a good idea with any type of leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roloflex View Post
sorry, whilst I'm at it. These are actually waxed suede shoes. Does anybody know how they need to be treated? I bought a spray and suede brush today but also saw that Timberland sell waxed leather cream (not to be used on Suede...). Quite confused on what is the best way of treating waxed suede. oh, and whether to use a shoe tree

I'm stumped by this, not sure about waxed suede and could not find any specific info, but maybe you should contact Loake and ask? customer.services@loake.co.uk

I did see this stuff, no idea if it's good or not:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-Footwea.../dp/B000PGS24A
post #4405 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes View Post


i have a zegna sportcoat that looks very similar to the above, but is charcoal with brown windowpane. i find myself never wearing it because i'm not a fan of the cut, though i think the fabric is amazing.

is there anything i can do about maybe having it shortened (or perhaps shaped in some other way) when i'm not even exactly sure what i want? i'd imagine taking it to some random tailor would be pretty risky? any suggestions? perhaps ask someone to make it look more like a jacket i already have and like?

It can be done by a competent tailor - don't take it to a "alterations" place, but go to someone who makes suits, an actual tailor. This is assuming you live somewhere where you have access to such. Bringing a jacket you like is a good idea. Good luck.

EZ
post #4406 of 33197
Simple question: What's the best tie knot to employ with a collar pin?

Obviously it should be something small, but I was wondering if those who wear/like then had any special knot preference.

I'm not sure it matters, but the collar is a point collar with eyelets, not a club collar (because in a club collar, I would look like tweedle dee).
post #4407 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by lureynol View Post
Simple question: What's the best tie knot to employ with a collar pin? Obviously it should be something small, but I was wondering if those who wear/like then had any special knot preference. I'm not sure it matters, but the collar is a point collar with eyelets, not a club collar (because in a club collar, I would look like tweedle dee).
Four-In-Hand. Reason: to be able to wear collar pin, the collars must be point collars (not spread), and thus, only FIH works here.
post #4408 of 33197
Why are all the widths of almost all of the shoes on Pediwear wider than D? I have a narrow foot (C width) and seeking English made shoes.
post #4409 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
Four-In-Hand.

Reason: to be able to wear collar pin, the collars must be point collars (not spread), and thus, only FIH works here.

The pratt works with a point collar too. No idea how well it works with a collar pin though.
post #4410 of 33197
Question 1:

Recommendations for gloves, $150 tops (preferably less of course, it depends on how much the quality differs)?
I'm considering New & Lingwood (though theirs doesn't seem to be lined for winter wear) and Sam Hober.

Question 2:

Where in God's name can I find a decent overcoat in size 36"? I was eyeing CT's Brown Check Over Coat but sadly it doesn't come smaller than 38". I would like to stay below $600/£378.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)