or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 277

post #4141 of 33197
I want a warm (wool, tweed etc) sportcoat fot autumn. An inbetween coat.

I wondered what color to get, so it would be a staple jacket.

Most of my pants are grey/charcoal/houndstooth, some navy and some brown.

What color (or any particular) sportscoat do you recommend?
post #4142 of 33197
George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's: what kind of shoes would he have worn? I'm going to a costume party tomorrow and need to find something resembling that. Anyone?
post #4143 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's: what kind of shoes would he have worn? I'm going to a
costume party tomorrow and need to find something resembling that. Anyone?

Wasn't he wearing boots for awhile in that movie? There are many good closeups of his shoes in the movie. I think they were black. Doubt that anyone is going to notice that level of detail though. Go with some non-square-toe black dress shoes, leather soles, and you will be fine.
post #4144 of 33197
College student, want to get a Bay St. internship, need a new suit. Budget is around 500, but will consider everything sub-800. Stats: 5"8 135lbs and growing Thinking 1 or 2 buttons. Navy, black or gray. Emporio Armani from Yoox? http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=49115614 Or should I go to a MTM shop in Toronto? How much will it run me for a basic (but sleek) one? Thanks.
post #4145 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's: what kind of shoes would he have worn? I'm going to a
costume party tomorrow and need to find something resembling that. Anyone?

I think you'll be fine with some basic black captoes or plain toe bluchers.
post #4146 of 33197
Does anyone have an active STP coupon code for savings greater than 15%?

Thanks.
post #4147 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Glasses View Post
I want a warm (wool, tweed etc) sportcoat fot autumn. An inbetween coat.

I wondered what color to get, so it would be a staple jacket.

Most of my pants are grey/charcoal/houndstooth, some navy and some brown.

What color (or any particular) sportscoat do you recommend?

A gray tweed herringbone, or just a nice looking tweed. The pants you have sound pretty neutral, so you could get a fairly interestingly pattered tweed and pair it with almost anything. Olive perhaps? But certainly, if you go with the gray, it'll be a staple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post
yeah, i do think they looked a bit long when worn. plus i like to wear slim pants, which kind of emphasizes a clown-like silhouette

luckily i found a store nearby that sells this brand, and while they dont have the same shoe, they have some similar-shaped ones, and i tried them on. turns out 8 is too small, but they dont have half sizes. hopefully the 8.5 is right when it comes in.

if it makes a difference, i can shove my foot forward in the shoe, and i can get an extra like .5" gap between my heel and the back of the shoe.


anyway, thanks for the help, i'm used to shoes with round toes so i'm not really sure what i'm doing with chisel toe shoes.

If the 8.5 doesn't work, it sounds like you may need to try a sizing down with a wider width.
post #4148 of 33197
What's the difference between bluchers and derbys? I know nothing about proper shoes. Anyone have a link to a site where I can learn stuff like this?? Besides SF.net please.
post #4149 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pun View Post
What's the difference between bluchers and derbys? I know nothing about proper shoes. Anyone have a link to a site where I can learn stuff like this?? Besides SF.net please.

My understanding is that derby is British usage and Blucher is American (like braces and suspenders). It refers to a shoe with open lacing. Just Google Blucher, Derby, Oxford, etc. and you will find several definitions.
post #4150 of 33197
ok, I bought a great brown/black herringbone sportscoat made of 'new' wool. Yesterday, after a dinerparty, it was raining cats & dogs and someone offered me a jacket to 'save' my coat. I accepted, but really: can't a new wool (diffenrent than normal wool?) sportcoat handle rain?????
post #4151 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Glasses View Post
ok, I bought a great brown/black herringbone sportscoat made of 'new' wool.
Yesterday, after a dinerparty, it was raining cats & dogs and someone offered me a jacket to 'save' my coat. I accepted, but really: can't a new wool (diffenrent than normal wool?) sportcoat handle rain?????

What's new wool? virgin wool? Then it's still wool.
post #4152 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
What's new wool? virgin wool? Then it's still wool.
That's what the label said.
It's shaven wool, I don't know how you call it in english...
Still doesn't answer my question though
post #4153 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Glasses View Post
ok, I bought a great brown/black herringbone sportscoat made of 'new' wool.
Yesterday, after a dinerparty, it was raining cats & dogs and someone offered me a jacket to 'save' my coat. I accepted, but really: can't a new wool (diffenrent than normal wool?) sportcoat handle rain?????

Any wool sportscoat can handle rain. The sheep do not come in when it rains.
post #4154 of 33197
I just bought a black moncler Leblanc parka. I was wondering what kind of gloves to get
post #4155 of 33197
Is there a RTW suit hierarchy thread somewhere here? I did a search and couldn't find one.

Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)