or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2178

post #32656 of 33197
The thing is that there is a whole spectrum of shoes beyond the "formal" & "informal" classifications. Brown being less formal than black doesn't equate to brown being always informal. Just because a derby doesn't go well with suits doesn't mean it goes well with jeans. Dark colors are usually considered more formal so I'm not sure why you mentioned dark with informal.

Understood as to tassels. They are not for everybody...I didn't grow into them for quite awhile but at the moment I have 5 in my collection.

Perhaps a boot might suit your purpose? Something like a Chelsea or Jodhpur


In the end get what you're most comfortable wearing
post #32657 of 33197
RE derbys with suits: I have a super high instep and a narrow foot. I've never found a closed lacing shoe I can tie that wasn't two sizes too large. I wear derbys exclusively with suits. Unless you wear your pants super short, I doubt anyone would notice - it's not like they have two huge shiny buckles on them.
post #32658 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

RE derbys with suits: I have a super high instep and a narrow foot. I've never found a closed lacing shoe I can tie that wasn't two sizes too large. I wear derbys exclusively with suits. Unless you wear your pants super short, I doubt anyone would notice - it's not like they have two huge shiny buckles on them.

99.9% of the people that I'm around wouldn't know the difference. If you are good with them, more power to you.
post #32659 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman View Post

99.9% of the people that I'm around wouldn't know the difference. If you are good with them, more power to you.

I'm OK - always on the lookout for a balmoral that fits. When I go bespoke, I'll get a few made up. Such is the life of a man born with a ballerina's foot.
post #32660 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

I'd think carefully about the monks. I realize SF likes them, but I've worked a lot of places, and been to tons of conferences and monks are few and far between. Depending on where you work and your level of seniority, you run the risk of being "that guy". It's important to realize that the world outside of SF may not perceive fashion choices like the do. With that said, the suede monks wouldn't be too jarring with jeans but wouldn't work well with any sort of suit IMO.

There was a funny meme on here a million years ago that went something like this - a guy in a tweed patch pocket odd jacket and cords approaches a woman in a bar. She says "nice suit", to which he replies "clearly this isn't a suit, look at the casual fabric and three patch pockets, indicating that this is an informal jacket made for the country."

In reality people don't care about this stuff, and appearing too "into it" can make you seem like a weirdo.
 
Point taken! I see quite a few people wearing monks here were I work so I don't think it would be an issue. :)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonemore View Post

The thing is that there is a whole spectrum of shoes beyond the "formal" & "informal" classifications. Brown being less formal than black doesn't equate to brown being always informal. Just because a derby doesn't go well with suits doesn't mean it goes well with jeans. Dark colors are usually considered more formal so I'm not sure why you mentioned dark with informal.

Understood as to tassels. They are not for everybody...I didn't grow into them for quite awhile but at the moment I have 5 in my collection.

Perhaps a boot might suit your purpose? Something like a Chelsea or Jodhpur


In the end get what you're most comfortable wearing

Not sure why i mentioned dark color huh. Now that I think about it - if i show light brown color shoes, you guys say it's not versatile, on the other hand, it's more casual. Dark brown, is more formal, and more also more versatile so I guess that's why I am aiming dark brown - i can pull that off with more outfits.

 

Boot is definitely something I want to buy, but maybe for fall/winter season. I am a big fan of this design:

 

But they are quite expensive at 300 eur, and it's something I would be wearing more casually. Now I want to get several pairs of very different contrasting shoes, to have versatile wardrobe. So far I got these shoes:

But I can't wear them everyday, so want to buy 1-2 pairs or some other versatile shoe.

post #32661 of 33197
The suede double monks you pictured earlier are probably your best bet for broad range versatility. The medallion cap toes perhaps (but still not a jeans shoe imo).

I questioned you mentioning brown because you put brown as casual in general...so I just wanted to clarify that this wasn't the case.

The boots pictured would go fine with jeans...but I would never put them with a suit.
post #32662 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post


Personal view, he's already got a pretty high contrast outfit with a black suit and white shirt. I'd avoid a dark tie for two reasons - one being further increasing the contrast and two being it looks too much like a uniform. I'd probably avoid a white PS for the same reason

I'd consider either a grey tie (bridging the gap between the black and white) or getting something with a neat pattern / repp that will bring something to the outfit.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/ties/light-brown-tie/D152113.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/ties/light-brown-tie/D152142.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/ties/brown-tie/D152112.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc (maybe too dark - not many neat patterns on there which have a fairly sedate base)

There don't seem to be any plain grey ties on there - closest I can get is:

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/tiessub/light-brown-tie/D161008.html?cgid=Ties&srule=PriceAsc

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post
 

Hey, man! I would be glad to help. If he really needs to wear that black suit, I would recommend a red tie. I am very familiar with SuitSupply. I actually know every product they have. lol

 

So, this would work just fine:

 

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/ties/red-tie/D161010.html?cgid=Ties&prefn1=color&prefn2=tieWidth&prefv1=Red&prefv2=8%20CM

 

It's at 49 euros, but I think it's worth it. It is one of the few ties I like from them.

 

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I asked the guys on the SS chat and they actually suggested the navy tie + white square combo. Not really a fan of red, although, that does look nice. However, with a black suit I'm thinking a silk tie will be more appropriate or does it matter? 

 

I would have gotten the tie in gray but they didn't have one. Maybe a more lively pocket square would help here. Any idea what would go with that navy one?

post #32663 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axf4 View Post
 

 

 

 

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I asked the guys on the SS chat and they actually suggested the navy tie + white square combo. Not really a fan of red, although, that does look nice. However, with a black suit I'm thinking a silk tie will be more appropriate or does it matter? 

 

I would have gotten the tie in gray but they didn't have one. Maybe a more lively pocket square would help here. Any idea what would go with that navy one?

Anything, but blue or navy. Check this out:

 

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/handkerchiefs/pocket-square-red/PS16121.html?cgid=Handkerchiefs

post #32664 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axf4 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I asked the guys on the SS chat and they actually suggested the navy tie + white square combo. Not really a fan of red, although, that does look nice. However, with a black suit I'm thinking a silk tie will be more appropriate or does it matter?

White pocket square will go great with a white shirt. He's a high school grad, he's young. He just needs a simple white handkerchief.

For the tie, please avoid red with a black suit. Since he should only be wearing a black suit at night, a dark navy tie with white dots would look great. http://eu.suitsupply.com/de/ties/krawatte-navy/D161125.html?cgid=Ties


The black suit would look terrible in the daytime no matter what except for funerals, so the tie for daytime with this suit is a moot question.
post #32665 of 33197

Genuine question: why are many of the great dressers on this community going for the "no break and inseam short enough to expose my socks" look?

post #32666 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post

Genuine question: why are many of the great dressers on this community going for the "no break and inseam short enough to expose my socks" look?

Because they spend $3,000 on their shoes?

I wear a quarter break for two reasons
1) I'm short
2) I'm more worried about looking good standing than showing leg sitting
post #32667 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

Because they spend $3,000 on their shoes?

Now, now...the most expensive GMTO currently in the works here on the SF forums is only $2'500 (for the EG shell Galway)...I suspect the sooner or later (emphasis on sooner) to happen Croc Galway GMTO will be a bit pricier though. Lol
post #32668 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post

Now, now...the most expensive GMTO currently in the works here on the SF forums is only $2'500 (for the EG shell Galway)...I suspect the sooner or later (emphasis on sooner) to happen Croc Galway GMTO will be a bit pricier though. Lol

Don't forget the bespoke wearers. Those reach up to and beyond $3g. I do think having nice shoes is a reason why people have gone no break.
post #32669 of 33197
I feel less break looks less messy.
post #32670 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

Don't forget the bespoke wearers. Those reach up to and beyond $3g. I do think having nice shoes is a reason why people have gone no break.

Come now...mentioning Bespoke wouldn't have gone well with my joke. Lol.

Perhaps you're on to something with the break but there are still plenty of us here with pretty nice collections that maintain a classic style. I myself think the "many great dressers here" is a bit of an exaggeration versus "a few" or perhaps "a slightly increasing number of"....but perhaps I'm wrong.. of course it wouldn't be the first time a "fashion trend" has come along either.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)