or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2174

post #32596 of 33313
I'm looking into buying a tuxedo on eBay for a gala my wife and I will have in the future. I found one that I think is perfect, except for one possible thing; it has a subtle pattern to the fabric.

Here's a few photos...






Is this a deal-breaker for proper black tie? It's the closest thing to following the blacktieguide.com guidelines that I've found so far that isn't out of my price range. At this point in time, the rest of the dinner jacket options have center vents, notch lapels, and/or two buttons.
post #32597 of 33313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy127 View Post

I'm looking into buying a tuxedo on eBay for a gala my wife and I will have in the future. I found one that I think is perfect, except for one possible thing; it has a subtle pattern to the fabric.

That'll be fine. Grab it.
post #32598 of 33313
I'm looking for a new pair of semi-casual shoes (something to wear with jeans). Thoughts about these Sutor Mantellassi brown suede shoes?





I don't know whether they're blake welted or not, but I can get them for roughly $250.
post #32599 of 33313
Anyway to fix a dent in a suit's shoulder pad? I got it from carrying a heavy bag over my shoulder. Ive had the suit for about 6 years. Might be time to update anyway.
post #32600 of 33313
Does anyone else have a hugo boss pasolini suit? Its a little boxy. Might be outdated looking
post #32601 of 33313

A trivial question about the origin of surgeon's cuffs. I mostly heard it's interchangeable with functioning cuffs after military surgeons having to unbutton and roll up their sleeves for work, which made sense and I never thought about it again until I recently came across this video about handmade button holes. I heard the guy demonstrating compared the stitching to a surgeon's so I'm wondering could that be the reason to call them surgeon's cuffs, only when the button holes are handmade can they be called surgeon's cuffs? 

post #32602 of 33313
Quote:
Originally Posted by robxznyc View Post

A trivial question about the origin of surgeon's cuffs. I mostly heard it's interchangeable with functioning cuffs after military surgeons having to unbutton and roll up their sleeves for work, which made sense and I never thought about it again until I recently came across this video about handmade button holes. I heard the guy demonstrating compared the stitching to a surgeon's so I'm wondering could that be the reason to call them surgeon's cuffs, only when the button holes are handmade can they be called surgeon's cuffs? 

To my knowledge the former is the correct etymology for the term.
post #32603 of 33313

Can these be used as Sport Jackets?

 

They have matching pants, but I don't care. :)

 

I wanted to know your opinion about these jackets without their matching pants.

 

 

 

I bought the former with the pants, but they were too slim and decided to use them for a casual day. I have the jacket all alone now crying in the corner. Can I use it as a Sport Jacket?

 

I know that the blue one can be used as one, because of the model wearing it with jeans, but I thought I could use your opinion about this too. The fabric seems too casual, no?

post #32604 of 33313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

I get your point.  However, I've found that on occasion something in my luggage will cause a scratch on my leather belts.  After enough scratches the belt doesn't look so great anymore.  When you pack shoes you do put them in something, correct?

One of my belts got destroyed in travel. I now use a packing cube with the belt wrapped around a piece of cardboard to keep it rigid.
post #32605 of 33313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post

Can these be used as Sport Jackets?

They have matching pants, but I don't care. smile.gif

I wanted to know your opinion about these jackets without their matching pants.







I bought the former with the pants, but they were too slim and decided to use them for a casual day. I have the jacket all alone now crying in the corner. Can I use it as a Sport Jacket?

I know that the blue one can be used as one, because of the model wearing it with jeans, but I thought I could use your opinion about this too. The fabric seems too casual, no?

The lapels are .5 inches wide. You're far out into fashion territory. Wear them with whatever you want, including grass skirts and other fashion nonsense.
post #32606 of 33313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


The lapels are .5 inches wide. You're far out into fashion territory. Wear them with whatever you want, including grass skirts and other fashion nonsense.

First of all, the lapels are only 2.36 inches wide. "Grass skirts and other fashion nonsense"?

 

Don't you think I should report you for this unacceptable behaviour? Explain yourself.

post #32607 of 33313

Is it appropriate to wear a black grenadine tie when the event is not a funeral/wedding? I mean I've got other ties but have always had the doubt about whether it's socially acceptable to wear a black long tie on regular occasions

post #32608 of 33313
post #32609 of 33313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post
 

Can these be used as Sport Jackets?

 

They have matching pants, but I don't care. :)

 

I wanted to know your opinion about these jackets without their matching pants.

 

 

 

I bought the former with the pants, but they were too slim and decided to use them for a casual day. I have the jacket all alone now crying in the corner. Can I use it as a Sport Jacket?

 

I know that the blue one can be used as one, because of the model wearing it with jeans, but I thought I could use your opinion about this too. The fabric seems too casual, no?

Honestly you can wear them both as sport jackets and they'll be fine. Technically though - the former (solid light grey wool or cotton/wool blend) and the latter (presumably navy birdseye) are both business suit fabrics/patterns.

 

A traditional sport jacket usually possesses four features - casual fabrics such as cotton, seersucker, linen or tweed, casual patterns such as windowpane, notch lapels, horn buttons (metal being more of a blazer thing and buttons matching fabric being more of a suit thing) and the optional patch pockets. (your grey jacket has flap pockets and the navy has besom)

 

So if we're really counting, these are strictly orphaned suit jackets and should not be used as sport jackets - but then again in the streets we now walk on nobody gives a crap, it's just not the most flattering choice to wear without matching pants. But then again I often wear my wide peak lapeled suit jackets with other dress pants so I'm not the one to talk.

 

I don't mind the skinny lapels if you've the build for it - which no one should have when it's at 2.36 but that's your preference. 

 

ps this is a pretty safe look for a sports jacket

post #32610 of 33313

I still do not understand this hostile behaviour though. Have you talked to me in the past? Did I say something that in some way I offended you? All I talked about was suit jackets as sport jackets. If you have some very strong opinion about style, which is very clear to me that you have, either keep it for yourself or explain in a not offensive way why something sounds silly or just off to you. No need for this. I don't have something against these skirts, but because you clearly dislike them, you use them as a way to joke about my message. I do not understand why you acted that way, but there is seriously something wrong with you. I've been nothing but polite in all of my posts. Do you just have fun trolling other members?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)