or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2168

post #32506 of 33197

Hello guys, I am very new into leather shoes, and recently bought dark brown double monks for my business casual outfit.

 

I found a decent discount for Santoni shoes, what do you think I could combine these taupe shoes with? Could I pull that off with some jeans? I don't wear full suit, usually jeans and shirt for my work which is office Big 4 environment.

 

post #32507 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post


Yes, the jacket sleeves are too long. Have 2 cm taken off.

My man!!

post #32508 of 33197

Can someone explain the conversion for (German?) sizes that run in the nineties into regular Euro or Anglophone sizes?

 

Eg.

 

 

post #32509 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged View Post
 

Hello guys, I am very new into leather shoes, and recently bought dark brown double monks for my business casual outfit.

 

I found a decent discount for Santoni shoes, what do you think I could combine these taupe shoes with? Could I pull that off with some jeans? I don't wear full suit, usually jeans and shirt for my work which is office Big 4 environment.

 

I would wear them with dark colour jeans.

post #32510 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesjac View Post

Can someone explain the conversion for (German?) sizes that run in the nineties into regular Euro or Anglophone sizes?

Eg.

 

It's basically just cm not inches - see the mantel section here:

http://www.herrenausstatter.de/nutzwert/masstabellen.html
post #32511 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post
 

I would wear them with dark colour jeans.

 

but what kind of shoe is that? Is that plain toe debry? What do you think about color, is it versatile?

post #32512 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged View Post

but what kind of shoe is that? Is that plain toe debry? What do you think about color, is it versatile?

Yes, it's a derby due to the open lacing. The colour is not versatile - dark denim may rub off on it, it may become discoloured or stained in regular use, and it's innately a summer colour. Maybe a good purchase for the tenth shoe in your wardrobe but not the second or third.
post #32513 of 33197

Just what he said. ^

post #32514 of 33197
Thoughts about including a brown corduroy blazer as part of my rotation?

I am trying to build a wardrobe of blazers/sportcoats, and I know that the jcrew ludlow fits me well. I currently have a brown-grey herringbone tweed blazer and am looking for more. I know that brown cord isn't the standard second blazer that anyone would buy, but I'm trying to do this on a budget so if it's going to be a useful 3rd or 4th jacket I figured I'd buy it now when it's on sale ($100 for a ludlow jacket is pretty great).

(FWIW I'm a relatively young lawyer in a midwest city that is neither particularly dressy nor particularly casual.)





https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/LudlowUnconstructedSportcoats/PRD~A9728/A9728.jsp?N=21+16+12058+12059&Nbrd=J&Nloc=en_US&Nrpp=48&Npge=1&Nsrt=1&isSaleItem=true&color_name=HAZELNUT&isFromSale=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row0
post #32515 of 33197
Also, thoughts about wearing a light linen or cotton suit jacket as a blazer? I know that it's generally considered a faux pas to wear a suit jacket without the suit pants (say, with jeans or something), but does that rule apply to light summer fabrics as well on jackets that include contrasting buttons and whatnot?

I have in mind something like this:



or this:


(Oxford cloth cotton)

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JCrew-298-Mens-Ludlow-Suit-Jacket-Italian-Cotton-36S-blue-white-b8650-blazer-/152061380144?hash=item2367908630:g:-5AAAOSwKtVWxpnR

Or something similar in linen. Thanks!
post #32516 of 33197
.
Edited by absolutelyl - 5/6/16 at 7:21am
post #32517 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutelyl View Post

Hi guys,

I have a question about reproofing water-repellent outerwear. I own a Norse Projects Nunk and a Fjallraven Greenland. I'm familiar with the reproofing process for the latter (mainly because of the giant step by step care instructions plastered on the interior of the jacket).

With the nunk however, I'm a little bit unsure about the process. I've read that you should wash waterproof jackets before reproofing so as to remove any oil or dirt stuck in the membranes(?) or something along those lines. The care instructions for the nunk however, appear to advise against machine wash. My questions are:

1. Is there any kind of Nik-Wax wash and proof like soap that I can use for a handwash of the jacket?

2. Whether anyone has machine washed (on low spin) the jacket before anyway?

Many thanks in advance!


I haven't looked in a while, but I am pretty sure you can use the Nikwax tech wash to handwash a garment. One thing I would note though is that you should use the spray on Durable Water Repellent, because if you use the wash in one you would be inadvertently coating the inside and outside rather than just the outside.
post #32518 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


I haven't looked in a while, but I am pretty sure you can use the Nikwax tech wash to handwash a garment. One thing I would note though is that you should use the spray on Durable Water Repellent, because if you use the wash in one you would be inadvertently coating the inside and outside rather than just the outside.

 

Thanks for the quick reply! Realised I posted this in the classic menswear thread and didn't wanna run afoul of any unspoken rules, so cross-posted it over at the general questions thread.

post #32519 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post


Yes, it's a derby due to the open lacing. The colour is not versatile - dark denim may rub off on it, it may become discoloured or stained in regular use, and it's innately a summer colour. Maybe a good purchase for the tenth shoe in your wardrobe but not the second or third.

Thank you.

 

Another question, are these shoes good year welted, or it's not possible to tell from the picture:

 

http://www.to-be-dressed.nl/van-bommel-boots-cognac-16.html

or these for example:

https://www.vanarendonk.nl/heren/magnanni/17326-conac-veterboot/cognac/822.13.5

 

and in general, is it possible to say which of these two shoes is better based on pictures/descriptions alone?


Edited by estranged - 5/6/16 at 9:17am
post #32520 of 33197
It's very difficult to give an opinion on quality based on a photo alone. I would think it highly likely both are Blake construction. I am not suggesting they are perfect, but for that sort of money I would be looking at Meermin or perhaps hoping Rider Boot Co put something in their sale section (which may also be Blake constructed but using likely higher quality materials).

Edit - too big but this sort of thing from Rider:

http://riderboot.com/shop/faris/

Or this from Meermin:

https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=2792
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)