or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2164

post #32446 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael81 View Post

Is this worthwhile as a summer blazer? Unlined, 100% cotton, jersey weave. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


It depends how warm 'summer' gets in Finland. I would suggest that will wear warm, be somewhat clingy as a fabric rather than draping, and generally not convey elegance. For something fairly informal for summer days I'd suggest linen is more suitable.

We usually only get a few days over 25 degrees celsius. Thanks for the input. You've confirmed my suspicions. I'll look for something in linen.
post #32447 of 33197
Where can I find brown, round cotton laces for dress shoes? Los Angeles-specific advice would be great, but an online option would be fine, too.

The laces that came with my Carmina suede captoes in 2011 just split open, and I quite liked the soft cotton laces. Most places just sell things for boots, sneakers, or other more casual options. Thanks in advance for any help!
post #32448 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post

Where can I find brown, round cotton laces for dress shoes?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/shoe-care/laces/dawhyde-waxed-replacement-laces/SF710.html
post #32449 of 33197

For many years I have owned two pairs of black, full brogue Oxford shoes (one pair being a pre-Prada Church's 'Henley', the other an Edward Green masquerading as Poulsen & Skone, bought from New & Lingwood shortly after they acquired the name). I often wore these shoes in London with a formal business suit, but of course conventionally this is incorrect, as non-brogue black cap-toe Oxfords are required to accompany formal business wear.

 

My question is, when are black full brogues appropriate, and with what clothes? If we stick to cap-toe Oxfords whenever we put on a formal suit, it would mean black brogues were somehow redundant, and yet they are a perennial favourite. I'd be interested in posters' opinions on this.

post #32450 of 33197

Black brogues are incorrect with a suit only in the sense that they are inherently incorrect: a black oxford shoe is for the city, a brogue - usually brown - for the country.  Combining the two is in itself a subversion, but rather a gentle one.

 

Wear them!  There is nothing particularly unorthodox about wearing black brogues with classic city business attire.  They are quite popular even with the middle aged and mighty, in my experience.  Sure, a cap toe is slicker, and would be the most flexible end of good options for black tie.  But a polished black brogue is a perfectly appropriate shoe for most business environments, and to my mind looks pretty sharp on a gent of status with a navy chalk stripe.

post #32451 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post

Where can I find brown, round cotton laces for dress shoes? Los Angeles-specific advice would be great, but an online option would be fine, too.

The laces that came with my Carmina suede captoes in 2011 just split open, and I quite liked the soft cotton laces. Most places just sell things for boots, sneakers, or other more casual options. Thanks in advance for any help!

I had to get new laces for some boots and I found a lot of options on Amazon. I don't remember what seller I bought from but they had all colors, lengths, widths, and shapes. It made buying the laces a very easy experience and I got exactly what I wanted.
post #32452 of 33197
What he said!
post #32453 of 33197

see quoted post below (how do I cancel a post?)

post #32454 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Black brogues are incorrect with a suit only in the sense that they are inherently incorrect: a black oxford shoe is for the city, a brogue - usually brown - for the country.  Combining the two is in itself a subversion, but rather a gentle one.

 

Wear them!  There is nothing particularly unorthodox about wearing black brogues with classic city business attire.  They are quite popular even with the middle aged and mighty, in my experience.  Sure, a cap toe is slicker, and would be the most flexible end of good options for black tie.  But a polished black brogue is a perfectly appropriate shoe for most business environments, and to my mind looks pretty sharp on a gent of status with a navy chalk stripe.

 

Thanks for your feedback. As I said, I wore my black (highly polished) brogues often in the days when I was working in London, and never really gave it a thought. It is only since the advent of online forums such as this that one became exposed to certain contrary opinions. As an ex Army Officer I was always ultra conscious of 'correct form', in dress as well as in manners and protocol. I now find myself far more sensitive to the subject of black brogues with formal suits than back then (I recall wearing them with a suit back in the late-1970s at St James's Palace, for drinks parties when my regiment did a tour of public duties there, and no-one batted an eyelid).

post #32455 of 33197
Hi gents,
I am pretty sure this might have been asked before but wound not know how to did it. What is consensus on wearing suede shoes in the rain, especially boot made of suede? I am guessing it is fine ( it get wet, let it dry in room temperature), right?
Thx
post #32456 of 33197
I am not a fan of wearing suede in the rain. But I cover my shoes when taking a piss.
post #32457 of 33197
My suede shoes are my go tos in the rain. No need to polish them.
post #32458 of 33197

Anyone know what the conversion would be if I wear a 11b Allen Edmonds Bayfield (511 last) to a cavanaugh loafer (114 last)?

post #32459 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2002 View Post

Hi gents,
I am pretty sure this might have been asked before but wound not know how to did it. What is consensus on wearing suede shoes in the rain, especially boot made of suede? I am guessing it is fine ( it get wet, let it dry in room temperature), right?
Thx

I only recently spray waterproofed my go-to suede rain shoes. They repel water excellently now, but even before I did that they weren't worse for wear. Let them dry and brush them to bring back the nap after they get wet.
post #32460 of 33197
I have a new pair of FF pants and when I stand, they don't seem to lay very flat down the front. Seem to bunch out some, particularly in the crotchal area. Wearing too low? Too tight/loose? Go with pleats?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)