or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2162

post #32416 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post
 

Does a vest make you look like a pimp? Do you think you're overdressed in a three-piece suit?

Unless the vest is purple... No.

And no, not overdressed either (given the setting is suit acceptable i.e. not the beach)

post #32417 of 33197

I think it's a good question.  Cards on the table: I love three piece suits.  I also like spectator shoes, long socks sometimes in bright colours, and exotic pocket squares.  There are two things to bear in mind: firstly, you, and secondly, your surroundings.

 

In a way, I am already an oddity for wearing a jacket and tie and shoes in a relative sartorial wasteland, so stepping it up a notch doesn't make me stand out any more than I already do.  It's a perverse kind of freedom to be as dandy as I feel like.  If I were in a City law firm in London, I'd be a bit more circumspect.  As it stands, I'm starting a new job next week, and will see how it feels - grey or navy suit first day, possibly skip the waistcoat, black or dark shoes...etc. But that's just being cautious.  Once they know me, for sure I'll be me.

 

I'm also 44 years old, outgoing and confident.  That helps, because I care rather less about being a dick than I did when I was twenty.  These things tend to be self-fulfilling.

 

So, in short answer to your question "it depends".  My advice would be that the three piece by itself isn't a big deal, unless everyone else thinks chinos, loafers, a polo and a blazer is "business".  If everyone's in suits, do it.  Just maybe be a little careful to keep the other elements subtle, and let everyone get used to you and your sartorial excellence.  Up until the 1940s, when the austerity of war in Europe had people replacing waistcoats with wool ones to save cloth, a suit always meant three pieces.  The sad fact is that this is no longer the norm, but I'm all for promoting the quixotic quest for the return of the full suit!

post #32418 of 33197

Thank you both for your answers. I love three-piece suits and I always wanted to get one. It's really sad that it's not the norm anymore. :(

post #32419 of 33197

Hello SF,

 

Ive recently been given a discount code for a store selling Loake shoes (only Loake shoes) and I want to use it. But Im almost all the time wearing jeans, occasionally chinos, so I need help which shoes to choose, so they would go nicely with jeans.

 

These looks really nice, do you think I can wear these with jeans?

post #32420 of 33197

Absolutely, and they'll look great.  I'd also consider any kind of boot - chukkas are the obvious especially with chinos, but a taller brogued boot also looks awesome with jeans. These are ideal for both - they are a casual shoe, but in this day and age, perfectly acceptable with chinos and a blazer and tie if you every need to.

 

This kind of shoe, in a civilised world, would make sneakers redundant outside the gym.  Thank you for taking this one small step. :)

post #32421 of 33197
An open laced plain (PTB) or cap toe shoe might also work.
post #32422 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCzechman View Post
 

Hello SF,

 

Ive recently been given a discount code for a store selling Loake shoes (only Loake shoes) and I want to use it. But Im almost all the time wearing jeans, occasionally chinos, so I need help which shoes to choose, so they would go nicely with jeans.

 

These looks really nice, do you think I can wear these with jeans?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Those would absolutely work, but they would be even better if they were in a textured leather such as pebble grain. Look at the Loake Pimlico or Kempton, depending on what color you like. Suede Chukkas are sneaky versatile.

post #32423 of 33197
Could I please get some quick thoughts on these burgundy wholecuts and how they would fit with CM suits?

I like the idea but can't quite get used to their look, being generally used to Oxfords.

.

Also interested in quick thoughts on whether these would fit with CM suits or business casual, they seem a bit light coloured forme but do like single monks.



Cheers.
post #32424 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhtl View Post

Could I please get some quick thoughts on these burgundy wholecuts and how they would fit with CM suits?

I like the idea but can't quite get used to their look, being generally used to Oxfords.

.

Also interested in quick thoughts on whether these would fit with CM suits or business casual, they seem a bit light coloured forme but do like single monks.



Cheers.

Wholecuts are oxfords. Formalitywise, in both type and color, the wholecuts would be more appropriate with a suit.
post #32425 of 33197

Hi, everyone !

 

I'm looking for brown oxfords similar to these :

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

What would you recommend ? Budget : approx. $ 600

 

Thanks in advance !

post #32426 of 33197

Guys, can a blazer replace the jacket during the winter? Or will I need to buy an overcoat as well when going formal?

post #32427 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by conker2507 View Post

Hi, everyone !

I'm looking for brown oxfords similar to these :
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




What would you recommend ? Budget : approx. $ 600

Thanks in advance !

It looks like you want something with a chiseled toe. Something from Crockett & Jones on the 348 last would work and I think is in your price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post

Guys, can a blazer replace the jacket during the winter? Or will I need to buy an overcoat as well when going formal?
Really depends on your climate, e.g., typically a blazer will not be warm enough for a NY winter.
post #32428 of 33197

I recently (since starting to lurk here) decided most of my suits fit too large.  So I purged.  Here you have the only survivor of the "pre-SF" suits, which I think fits well, but as I'm rather new at determining good fit, I'm seeking a second opinion.  I also lost a few pounds so the pants do fit a little loose in the waist, but probably not noticeably so.

 

 

 

post #32429 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crail View Post
 

I recently (since starting to lurk here) decided most of my suits fit too large.  So I purged.  Here you have the only survivor of the "pre-SF" suits, which I think fits well, but as I'm rather new at determining good fit, I'm seeking a second opinion.  I also lost a few pounds so the pants do fit a little loose in the waist, but probably not noticeably so.

I think that looks pretty good from what I can see--better than most suits that you'll see out there. The shoulders, chest, and collar seem to fit properly and the jacket sleeve length is good. The jacket length is short for a 'classic' fit but it's in line with current styles. I also think the jacket buttoning point is slightly high, but again this is currently in fashion.Trousers look okay from here--personally I think they are a hair short but I know others would think they are just right. Overall it's certainly worth hanging onto as you rebuild your suit collection. 

post #32430 of 33197


Thanks.  That'll save me one suit replacement.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)