or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2154

post #32296 of 33197
I see a couple of options:

1. You could always try sending them back to the manufacturer - are they Church's by any chance?

2. Any decent cobbler should be able to overlay a second layer of suede on top of the original sole (just sticking it down using adhesive). This will retain the original look (especially if feathered at the edges) and will basically give them at least as much wear as the original sole.
post #32297 of 33197

Hello All, 

 

I have a series of quick questions concerning a black suit. I am fond of wearing bow ties, but despise the large expanse of shirt that is left when wearing them without a sweater/vest/waistcoat/etc. to fill the gap between that is normally covered by the long tie. 

My questions are: Could I wear a sweater vest with the black suit? If so, what color? Or should I attempt to find an odd vest to go with the suit?  

 

Thanks 

 

 

edit: I should perhaps add that I am quite pale (perhaps a black suit was not the best decision in the first place, but there you go)

post #32298 of 33197
What shirting weaves are quote-unquote CBD appropriate for solid white & blue shirts with worsted suits?

EDIT: To rephrase, obviously broadcloth & poplin are CBD. What about twill, pinpoint oxford, and end-on-end?
Edited by Van Veen - 2/28/16 at 6:32pm
post #32299 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post

I see a couple of options:

1. You could always try sending them back to the manufacturer - are they Church's by any chance?

2. Any decent cobbler should be able to overlay a second layer of suede on top of the original sole (just sticking it down using adhesive). This will retain the original look (especially if feathered at the edges) and will basically give them at least as much wear as the original sole.

they are indeed Church's, well spotted! I will head out to a cobber this week and have a chat. see what we can do. Calling Church's might not be a bad idea either

post #32300 of 33197

Hi there, gentlemen.  I've been an infrequent lurker here, specifically in the Allen Edmonds appreciation thread.  Now, I've realized that I'm in over my head and need your assistance.  I'm a mid 40's guy, generally wear chinos and an untucked polo to work, and I need the right shoes.  I got some AE Strands in Bourbon(darkish brown) and I'm wondering if those are too formal for what I'm wearing?  Should I be wearing loafers instead, and if so, any suggestions?  Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

post #32301 of 33197
Can someone pin point this brand/model? I want this look so bad! Or suggest something similar would be fine too!

post #32302 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post

Hi there, gentlemen.  I've been an infrequent lurker here, specifically in the Allen Edmonds appreciation thread.  Now, I've realized that I'm in over my head and need your assistance.  I'm a mid 40's guy, generally wear chinos and an untucked polo to work, and I need the right shoes.  I got some AE Strands in Bourbon(darkish brown) and I'm wondering if those are too formal for what I'm wearing?  Should I be wearing loafers instead, and if so, any suggestions?  Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Strands are great. Excellent way to up your style is to up your shoe game. Now maybe swap the polo for an OCBD.
post #32303 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post


Strands are great. Excellent way to up your style is to up your shoe game. Now maybe swap the polo for an OCBD.


Thanks!  They are a beautiful shoe. I like where you're going with the OCBD.  Indeed, maybe that is where I need to be headed.  I feel like they're a bit too dressy for my line of work where people can and do wear t shirts, but maybe I need to put that aside and go with what feels right for me. 

 

Much appreciated

post #32304 of 33197

Hey guys, I just want your opinions on one thing. How bad are those shoulder divots? Bad enough that you wouldn't want to wear the suit until you get them fixed or they are not too bad?

post #32305 of 33197

wouldnt wear. wouldnt try fix them unless i have no good altrenatives either.

post #32306 of 33197
Quote:Subnav
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

wouldnt wear. wouldnt try fix them unless i have no good altrenatives either.


same here, its just enough to get noticed

post #32307 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post


Thanks!  They are a beautiful shoe. I like where you're going with the OCBD.  Indeed, maybe that is where I need to be headed.  I feel like they're a bit too dressy for my line of work where people can and do wear t shirts, but maybe I need to put that aside and go with what feels right for me. 

Much appreciated

The tshirt wearers won't even notice. But the people you want to notice will. wink.gif
post #32308 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post


The tshirt wearers won't even notice. But the people you want to notice will. wink.gif


Wow.  That is an interesting point. 

 

You sold me.   I'll try out the OCBD and see what the reactions are.  Don't want to be seen as putting on airs by the co-workers, but I won't be wearing a Van Halen t-shirt either.  It's a fine line.

post #32309 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post


yep dark brown. thanks.




follow up question:

anyone have any experience with Lands' End Sail Rigger shirts?

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-sail-rigger-oxford-shirt/id_248653

so the Sail Rigger arrived today. i love everything about it EXCEPT the length. i am afraid it will come untucked in no time at all.

what other OCBD's can i check out that might have a longer tail?

thanks!
post #32310 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii View Post

You might have better luck finding suggestions in this thread. Are you sure that you need an expensive shawl collar cardigan more urgently than you need another odd jacket?
Kudos to you for quoting him in another thread and posting it in here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)