or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2148

post #32206 of 33195
Hi guys

Can I get some advice on a next sport coat purchase? I currently have four (well, 3.5, one I'm no longer as big a fan of as the shoulders got a little messed up by the tailor):

1. Navy, wool (fabric has some texture to it)
2. B/W herringbone, wool
3. Medium brown, linen wool silk (this one if it helps):



4. Blue cotton (the odd shoulders one):



I'm thinking maybe olive or dark green for my fifth (pretty hard to find it seems)? Or should I be looking at getting another brown (darker)? I generally just wear them to/from work from spring to fall, which is pretty casual dress (no ties, jacket off when I'm actually working due to necessity), but will wear them out if the occasion arises.

Thanks in advance.
post #32207 of 33195

umm, long time lurker here. i rarely post but right now i'm kinda desperate.

 

i've had this Alden LHS on colour #8 Shell Cordovan for quite some time now, and last week they got completely drenched under heavy rain.

 

as soon as i got home, i wiped them down with dry cloth, put shoe tree inside them, laid them sideways and let them dry naturally for a few days (no direct sunlight, no heat source).

 

the thing is, after i dried them they left this really unsightly water stain mark around the toe, a complete half-circle faded area right in the toe of my left pair.

 

 

now, i'm a big fan of how shell cordovan patina over time, but that stain is just plain ridiculous.

 

before i realized the stain, i've tried conditioning them with saphir renovateur and due to my lack of information, i panicked and stripped down the conditioner again with saphir renomat, my logic being afraid of how the renovateur might make it harder for the upper to dry out completely. 

 

after few more days and replacing the shoe tree with tissue paper, i checked back on the shoe and the stain is still there. i tried deliberately conditioning them again with the renovateur and brushing it with horsehair brush for a complete 10 minutes hoping for the damned stain to fade away.

 

it did not.

 

a few people has suggested that i should apply saphir creme cordovan in colour #8 to the upper to hide the stain but as i said before, i really appreciate the light, reddish hue my shoe has developed over time and would prefer not to go back to the dark eggplant-like colour of a brand new shell cordovan.

 

do any of you guys have an idea on how to make that stain go away?

 

i would be really grateful.

 

EDIT:

 

oh, and might as well make some contribution while i'm here.

 

@facet

how about a textured gray jacket? like, prince of wales or windowpane pattern? herringbone would also be a nice choice, in my opinion. i believe dove gray or medium gray would be quite versatile as you can pair it with many trouser colours or even denim.

 

since you already have brown and navy/blue, i think it would be a good idea to complete the trifecta and go for gray :D


Edited by bortalizer93 - 2/15/16 at 1:11pm
post #32208 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortalizer93 View Post


how about a textured gray jacket? like, prince of wales or windowpane pattern? herringbone would also be a nice choice, in my opinion. i believe dove gray or medium gray would be quite versatile as you can pair it with many trouser colours or even denim.


since you already have brown and navy/blue, i think it would be a good idea to complete the trifecta and go for gray 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the response Bortalizer and sorry about the shoes; I wish I could give you advice on what to do for them short of bringing them to a cobbler for help.

The B/W herringbone that I have pretty much is a gray:



I agree that it's very versatile and was my favourite until I got my navy one.
post #32209 of 33195

@facet

well, there goes my hope in making a meaningful first post.

 

but unfortunately, i live in indonesia and i'd rather be buried with the shoe than to take them to a local cobbler.

post #32210 of 33195
I'm looking for Boys slim dress pants size 18. They have to be high quality, flat front, and have colors available other than black. Length is not important but if possible a 27" inseam leg is preferable.

My waist size is a 26.
post #32211 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Pea View Post

I'm looking for Boys slim dress pants size 18. They have to be high quality, flat front, and have colors available other than black. Length is not important but if possible a 27" inseam leg is preferable.

My waist size is a 26.
It goes without saying that your options in OTR trousers are severely limited. Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren? If you have a pair of trousers that fits you well, I'd suggest that you consider sending them to Luxire for replication. They are very good at making trousers.
post #32212 of 33195
Where to find higher waist swim trunks? Not looking to spend too much but want a nice slim fit.

Is H&M and the like my best bet?
post #32213 of 33195
Quote: Originally Posted by facet (Click to show)

Quote:

Originally Posted by facet View Post

Hi guys

Can I get some advice on a next sport coat purchase? I currently have four (well, 3.5, one I'm no longer as big a fan of as the shoulders got a little messed up by the tailor):

1. Navy, wool (fabric has some texture to it)
2. B/W herringbone, wool
3. Medium brown, linen wool silk (this one if it helps):



4. Blue cotton (the odd shoulders one):



I'm thinking maybe olive or dark green for my fifth (pretty hard to find it seems)? Or should I be looking at getting another brown (darker)? I generally just wear them to/from work from spring to fall, which is pretty casual dress (no ties, jacket off when I'm actually working due to necessity), but will wear them out if the occasion arises.

Thanks in advance.

 

 

Hey facet,

 

Yes to the olive! I think they look great, are a bit different and can pair unusually well with a wide variety of pants/shirts/tie combos.

 

I bought one here and have been really happy with it, it's one of my favourite coats to wear.

 

Now it might be a looong shot, but you can try to message Spoo and see if he still has them for sale (and depending on your size).

 

The link to the ones I purchased is:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/417031/price-drops-9-15-nwt-drakes-london-by-caruso-sportcoats-man-1924-army-field-jackets

post #32214 of 33195
Any recommendations for a bag to carry my lunch? I've just used a cloth grocery bag in the past, but I need something that won't look out of place in a business setting. I prefer to bring my own food rather than eating out every day, but I need something large enough to also carry two large bottles of water. What do I look for?
post #32215 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post

Any recommendations for a bag to carry my lunch? I've just used a cloth grocery bag in the past, but I need something that won't look out of place in a business setting. I prefer to bring my own food rather than eating out every day, but I need something large enough to also carry two large bottles of water. What do I look for?

I'd go for something like this and buy my water at work:

 

http://justlunchboxesforadults.com/bento-lunch-boxes/

post #32216 of 33195

Hey Guys,

 

Occasionally I find hay-like or straw-like pieces,light yellow in color in my dense wool tweeds and sweaters. I can't seem to figure out what it is. I haven't been to any farm or rural place. I find it it mostly dense wool, like tweeds.

 

Any ideas? I thought i could be moth casings, but it seems unlikely because I wear these a lot and they don't look like those pictures.

 

Thanks.

post #32217 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post

Any recommendations for a bag to carry my lunch? I've just used a cloth grocery bag in the past, but I need something that won't look out of place in a business setting. I prefer to bring my own food rather than eating out every day, but I need something large enough to also carry two large bottles of water. What do I look for?

I carry it in my soft briefcase in brown soft briefcase bag. and I also carry two large bottles of mineral water.

post #32218 of 33195

Hi all -

I'm a first year law student, and just turned 33 - past the age where bad fashion is forgiven. Not headed to biglaw this summer, but I'm at a so-called "top school" and regularly attend lots of informal (biz casual) events. Will likely be attending much of the same at the small office I'm heading to this summer. I've been slumming it in jeans, linen, and my trusty lineup of AE bluchers so far, with a decent Tom Ford MTM for interviews, but I'm tired of looking like a jerk in my 30's. It's time to take it up a notch.

So I'm looking to pick up 1-2 blazers - at least one linen/cotton and unlined/lightly-structured for summer use - that I can wear to business casual receptions, class occasionally, and around town, without looking like an arsehole but low-key and decent.

I'm a big guy at 6'2" and a pretty well built 240lbs. Tan skin (brown is out). I wear a 44L-46(L). The JC Ludlow is out with those pencil lapels. The JC Crosby is all backordered. I recently tried Suit Supply Napoli but even sizing up to a 46L, my shoulders and biceps are just too wide. I've been all over the place trying to find something and am basically out of ideas.

I'd like to keep total expenses under $700-1000 USD for 2 blazers, or $350-500 USD for 1 blazer. But, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so for sure willing to step up in price for something I can wear, occasionally, in 5 years time, and that will set me apart in a good way for the time being.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

Many (many) thanks in advance.

 

(cross-posted here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/518445/blazer-recommendations-old-guy-law-student)

post #32219 of 33195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by facet (Click to show)

Hey facet,

Yes to the olive! I think they look great, are a bit different and can pair unusually well with a wide variety of pants/shirts/tie combos.

I bought one here and have been really happy with it, it's one of my favourite coats to wear.

Now it might be a looong shot, but you can try to message Spoo and see if he still has them for sale (and depending on your size).

The link to the ones I purchased is:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/417031/price-drops-9-15-nwt-drakes-london-by-caruso-sportcoats-man-1924-army-field-jackets
Hey Reynolds

Thanks, yeah, the more pics I see of olive pairings, the more I like the idea of it. Thanks for the link, none of the sizes work for me, unfortunately. But thanks for the feedback, that gives me a little more confidence to go on the hunt; it's surprising how rare it is to find.
post #32220 of 33195
hey all. just got a new job and it will be a business casual environment. think chinos and OCBD and the occasional pair of dark denim.

a couple questions:

1. can you recommend me a general style of shoe that looks/works best for this environment? maybe a brogued oxford (pictured below is the AE McTavish) or a Chelsea boot (are Clarks Desert Boots too casual?)?

2. would Wolverine 1000 Miles be considered way too casual? they're the rust color if it matters.

thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)