or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2137

post #32041 of 33197

Is it okay to wear brown shoes with a black shirt?

post #32042 of 33197
That's one of those questions that falls under the category of "if you have you ask..."
post #32043 of 33197
don't wear a black shirt in the first place
post #32044 of 33197

What's wrong with a black shirt? I'm going to wear one today under my scarlet sweater. :/

post #32045 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post
 

What's wrong with a black shirt? I'm going to wear one today under my scarlet sweater. :/

Why?

 

I think the general objection to black is that there is almost always a better, more flattering alternative.

post #32046 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos343 View Post
 

What's wrong with a black shirt? I'm going to wear one today under my scarlet sweater. :/

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slh View Post

don't wear a black shirt in the first place

Well black shirts are probably the least versatile of all colours... to my experience you either wear all black which is gonna make you look like a floating head and shrink your entire body,something you don't want; or you can just wear it normally in which case IMO the colour's just too 'heavy' to be on top of any pants that aren't black or very dark navy.

 

It's still something everyone has to look funky once in a while but personally I rarely wear it because in most cases it makes you look like an asshole whose trying too hard. it's the same principle with matching ties and pocket squares, you want to look like you just 'happened' to pick two random things from your wardrobe and they just 'happened' to look good together. 

post #32047 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post
 

Why?

 

I think the general objection to black is that there is almost always a better, more flattering alternative.

yeah I think the general consensus is just ' why black, when almost EVERYTHING else will make you look better AND it's less risque.' 

post #32048 of 33197

SW/D heavily disagrees. Unfortunately, a dress shirt that isn't styled specifically or have specific texture, is indeed a quite useless item. I think Black on a shirt/bottom layer generally works best with other blacks, monochrome/grayscale outfits.

 

In a CM context I'd definitely say ditch the dark colored shirts.

post #32049 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

SW/D heavily disagrees. Unfortunately, a dress shirt that isn't styled specifically or have specific texture, is indeed a quite useless item. I think Black on a shirt/bottom layer generally works best with other blacks, monochrome/grayscale outfits.

In a CM context I'd definitely say ditch the dark colored shirts.

This is true, I always recognize the fact that most rookies coming to SF probably lean more to SW&D color choices, because they are more similar to society standards of men's style. I suspect most people coming for the first time to this forum probably grew up wearing nothing but darker colors. It's what they are comfortable with, and there is a deconstruction period associated with learning classic menswear style.

So, while I can understand the nature of these rookie questions. It should be understood that the answers given relate to what is typical of classic menswear style, not just cultural popular opinion. That's why we're here after all, to learn CM style...
post #32050 of 33197

What color shirt and shoes should I wear with this?
Should I wear a bow-tie or a tie and a handkerchief and what color should they be?

It is for my High School farewell party.

 

post #32051 of 33197

White shirt, dark navy or black knit tie, white TV (simple) folded pocketsquare, brown, black, or burgundy shoes.

post #32052 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobobs View Post

I wear my suede shoes all the time in the snow and have never had an issue with them becoming spotty. Just be careful around salt. That will destroy your suede and unlike leather, it won't be reversible.
Whenever there is snow on the ground here in NY, there is bound to be salt. If there is snow on the ground, I don't wear my suede or I have galoshes on over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale View Post

What say you all on the idea of taking in non-function sleeve buttons to a good tailor to make them functioning buttons so as to wear them unbuttoned for that look, you know what I am talking about look.

?
You're trying too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROI II View Post

Is it okay to wear brown shoes with a black shirt?
No. Black and brown don't go together and neither do black and navy, but some/most people find it acceptable to wear black shoes with a navy suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slh View Post

don't wear a black shirt in the first place
+1
post #32053 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


This is true, I always recognize the fact that most rookies coming to SF probably lean more to SW&D color choices, because they are more similar to society standards of men's style. I suspect most people coming for the first time to this forum probably grew up wearing nothing but darker colors. It's what they are comfortable with, and there is a deconstruction period associated with learning classic menswear style.

So, while I can understand the nature of these rookie questions. It should be understood that the answers given relate to what is typical of classic menswear style, not just cultural popular opinion. That's why we're here after all, to learn CM style...

I always found dark colour clothes the best option in winter. I guess I should start getting some more bright clothes. Thank you for this post.

post #32054 of 33197

.

 

I found this Brioni jacket today, but I'm new to this and still not sure of its value.  I'm thinking of buying it for myself (it's my size: 42).  He's asking $60 for it.  Thoughts?

post #32055 of 33197
.

misread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)