or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2118

post #31756 of 33197
I just got through the 2nd season of Broadchurch and really liked the jacket worn by the priest. It's waxed cotton and seems a little cropped. See pic below. Any one know what brand it could be?

post #31757 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

I just got through the 2nd season of Broadchurch and really liked the jacket worn by the priest. It's waxed cotton and seems a little cropped. See pic below. Any one know what brand it could be? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I think that's a Barbour International:

http://www.barbour.com/uk/all-collections/mens/waxed-jackets/b-intl-original-waxed-jacket/p/MWX0004BK5130?breadcrumbs=mens&breadcrumbs=mens-international&breadcrumbs=mens-waxedjackets

Edit to add - the older versions can vary a little, e.g.:

barbour_international_IMG_0901.jpg
post #31758 of 33197

Cross-posting from the Noodles Advice thread, because I happened to post there during a majorly off-topic discussion... please weigh in with your thoughts on socks:

 

Quote:
 While we're on the topic of socks, I've always bought cotton because I thought that's what I was supposed to do. Being in FL, I assumed they wore cooler than wool, which it seems is incorrect. I'd like to buy three pairs in a staple color to try out, but would rather not spend a fortune in case I don't like them. Is there a "default" that's readily available on Amazon so I can test them out? The only ones I saw that were mentioned here were the Gold Toe wool blends, but the reviews led me to believe they aren't very good quality (or at least, worse quality than the same brand used to sell). Is it still worth picking them up?
post #31759 of 33197

I'd recommend HJ Hall (I did recommend it in the thread fwiw).

post #31760 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

I'd recommend HJ Hall (I did recommend it in the thread fwiw).

Oh thank you, I must have missed your post there. I'll grab a few.
post #31761 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post

Cross-posting from the Noodles Advice thread, because I happened to post there during a majorly off-topic discussion... please weigh in with your thoughts on socks:
Not Amazon, but these are the socks I buy. They've been holding up well for me so far.

http://www.c21stores.com/men_apparel_underwear-socks_socks_dress_hidden/lorenzo-uomo-wool-flat-knit-socks
post #31762 of 33197
The Gold Toe wool socks are not soft and luxurious, but they do the job and have held up well for me. They go down to $12 for 3 pair every so often on Amazon. I like OTC, so this is what I get.
post #31763 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

The Gold Toe wool socks are not soft and luxurious
Life is too short to put up with wool socks that aren't soft and luxurious.
post #31764 of 33197
I'm in the market for gloves. I was originally looking at Chester Jeffries (Paris or Steward model) but today, learned about Hestra (Matthew or Andrea model) . It seems CJ is well regarded but what about Hestra? They run about the same price give or take $10-15. Finally, there seems to be little to no wait for Hestra to be shipped out.
post #31765 of 33197
I'm not very familiar with Hestra. They may be great; I just don't know.

I do know Chester Jefferies gloves, and can definitely recommend them.

I'll add that it's usually a mistake to decide what to buy based on considerations of which will ship faster. If you need a pair of gloves right away, buy a cheap pair locally to tide you over until your good gloves show up in the mail.
post #31766 of 33197
How are Brooks Brothers lambskin gloves compared to CJ?
post #31767 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

How are Brooks Brothers lambskin gloves compared to CJ?
Brooks gloves are okay, I guess.

But CJ is all about gloves. Gloves are at the core of CJ's business. Whereas at Brooks, gloves are just a very minor afterthought. A bit player, over in the accessories aisle.

CJ offers a vastly wider selection of gloves, and permits far more customization, than Brooks does.

I have no financial (or other) stake in CJ's success. Yeah, I owe one pair of their gloves, which I received as a gift in 2013. But if I thought that some other company did gloves better, I'd readily tell you so. I happen to own a pair of Totes leather gloves, too. Do you hear me urging you to run down to Walmart for a pair of Totes Isotoners?

Honestly, unless one is set on commissioning a pair of bespoke gloves from a top maker, I just can't see any reason to think you're going to track down something better than what CJ offers. Order them, and be content with your choice.
post #31768 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

Brooks gloves are okay, I guess.

But CJ is all about gloves. Gloves are at the core of CJ's business. Whereas at Brooks, gloves are just a very minor afterthought. A bit player, over in the accessories aisle.

CJ offers a vastly wider selection of gloves, and permits far more customization, than Brooks does.

I have no financial (or other) stake in CJ's success. Yeah, I owe one pair of their gloves, which I received as a gift in 2013. But if I thought that some other company did gloves better, I'd readily tell you so. I happen to own a pair of Totes leather gloves, too. Do you hear me urging you to run down to Walmart for a pair of Totes Isotoners?

Honestly, unless one is set on commissioning a pair of bespoke gloves from a top maker, I just can't see any reason to think you're going to track down something better than what CJ offers. Order them, and be content with your choice.

Around how much are CJ gloves? The BB gloves were $80 with 40% off. If CJ offers at a similar price I would buy them.
post #31769 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Around how much are CJ gloves?
Depends on exactly which model you want.

The site's https://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/
post #31770 of 33197

How tight should the toebox be for a pair of leather boots? or even leather shoes? (but this question is specifically for boots if there is more than one answer)

 

I have a pair of RM williams boots and i was thinking of getting a new pair and sizing up 1/2 a size. My current pair, i can stand on the balls of my feet, but it feels slightly cramped in the toe area when i do, like there isn't truely enough room there. compared to my sneakers and another pair of dress shoes, i have no problems at all at the toebox area. i have normal D width feet if it helps.

 

for my boots, everything else fits normally, just the toe area concerns me. what does styleforum say about that?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)