or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2112

post #31666 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

A wise man once said, "Sales are fool's gold."

Dude was a baller. But I get it, I'll find another.
post #31667 of 33197

Which color?

 

post #31668 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
 

Which color?

 

 

Dark brown for maximum versatility,though cognac looks best IMO.

 

Should I buy these?

 

 

They're full grain calf, full pigskin lining, constructed with a norwegian welt or a blake stitch and faux welt (I can't tell), and have a hard rubber sole (dainite?)

Problem is, does the extended welt make them too clunky to wear with tweed and flannel suits or trousers? I'm looking for a black boot to wear with jeans and cords and the occasional heavy weight wool trousers

post #31669 of 33197
How would the quality of this 100% cashmere scarf from Ledbury be?

www.ledbury.com/products/the-blue-and-orange-gingham-scarf?taxon_id=72

It says handcrafted in Scotland.
post #31670 of 33197
Any idea where to get white pique/Marcella material in the USA?
post #31671 of 33197

guys help me out....navy suit..burgandy doublemonks.....cant choose the tie..an office dinner

 

 

 

post #31672 of 33197
^I personally like the first one the best, but all three would work. I'd skip the scarf/ascot whatever that is.

In terms of pairings, navy suit and white shirt means wear any tie that you like. It's one of the most neutral combinations possible- the only thing more neutral is a charcoal suit and a white shirt.
post #31673 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in California View Post

What if I find an
What if I find an Armani black label suit online for $200? shog[1].gif

If it doesn't fit right, neither the label nor price will matter in the slightest.
post #31674 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post

Recommendations for company that makes decently-priced, over-the-calf socks? Looking for WOOL socks in conservative patterns.
http://www.customshirt1.com/index.php/menssocks.html
post #31675 of 33197

Where do I buy "large" umbrellas? I am 6'2", that is not really all that tall but I find a lot of store umbrellas are too small. When it is raining and my umbrella is up, my sneakers get soaked when walking. It is very annoying and shouldn't be happening at all.

 

I am looking a better umbrella, at a reasonable price. I have seen some of the $200+ umbrellas that are floating around here on this forum, that is too much for me. I just want the plain large umbrellas that I sometimes see people have when they are walking out in the rain. Where do I buy those? Preferable locally. I am in Toronto, Canada.

 

Here is my current (too small) umbrella, about 23" between the red lines:

 

post #31676 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertu View Post
 

Where do I buy "large" umbrellas? I am 6'2", that is not really all that tall but I find a lot of store umbrellas are too small. When it is raining and my umbrella is up, my sneakers get soaked when walking. It is very annoying and shouldn't be happening at all.

 

I am looking a better umbrella, at a reasonable price. I have seen some of the $200+ umbrellas that are floating around here on this forum, that is too much for me. I just want the plain large umbrellas that I sometimes see people have when they are walking out in the rain. Where do I buy those? Preferable locally. I am in Toronto, Canada.

 

Here is my current (too small) umbrella, about 23" between the red lines:

 

 

I believe this is what you are looking for:

 

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/87191?promo=search

 

Edit:  looks like Hammacher is out of stock.  Try here, I believe this is direct from the manufacturer:

http://unbreakableumbrella.com/

post #31677 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post
 

 

I believe this is what you are looking for:

 

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/87191?promo=search

 

Edit:  looks like Hammacher is out of stock.  Try here, I believe this is direct from the manufacturer:

http://unbreakableumbrella.com/

 

I don't need an unbreakable umbrella, just a regular one.

 

For people around my height, is 27" enough to keep your feet dry when walking outside during the rain?

post #31678 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertu View Post

For people around my height, is 27" enough to keep your feet dry when walking outside during the rain?
It depends. The wind factors into it. And puddles matter a lot, too.

Anyway, if you simply want a somewhat larger than average-sized umbrella, they're available from a multitude of sources, often as "doorman's" umbrellas.

There are even larger umbrellas, "golf" umbrellas, but I wouldn't recommend you go to such an extreme. Walking along a moderately busy sidewalk, with a giant umbrella which takes up a lot of space, is sort of inconsiderate to those around you. Like the families who insist on walking 4 abreast. Plus, ridiculously oversized anythings tend to make one look comic.

Last year, my umbrella finally gave up the ghost, after years of quality service. Rather than spend the rest of the day walking around in the rain, I ducked into a nearby Jos. A Bank store, and had to decide between their Doorman Umbrella, and the Double Canopy Umbrella I wound up buying. Both were around the same size - roughly a 54" canopy - which is to say, considerably larger than the typical compact/telescoping umbrella most people use nowadays. The JAB double canopy umbrella certainly isn't impressively high end, but at least it uses fiberglass instead of aluminum, and so far I've no real complaint with it. As I recall, it ran me just under $20, on sale, with a "normal" price near $60. As you're in Canada, JAB might not be a viable option for you, but I'm sure there are local stores offering something similar.
post #31679 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertu View Post

I don't need an unbreakable umbrella, just a regular one.

For people around my height, is 27" enough to keep your feet dry when walking outside during the rain?

No. But then I'm 6ft 3in, and there is usually standing water on the pavement when it's raining. This is why handling rain is usually about:

- Shoes you're happy to get wet, or swims / overshoes
- An umbrella
- A raincoat

Plus accepting that with the above your trouser hems will still get damp. Let them dry naturally, and brush them if necessary to remove any dirt.
post #31680 of 33197

I don't know if I can accept that. The last time it rained I went out with my umbrella and I was wearing converse sneakers and the canvas just got soaked and it was a miserable trip overall. If a slightly bigger umbrella can help prevent soaking wet feet during rain I am all for it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)