or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2099

post #31471 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Why am I having such a hard time finding BOOTS that are sleek? Will wear with chinos, slacks, and jeans. So they need to be versatile. Prefer little to no broguing though. Price point around $200 to max $300 and no Allen Edmonds please.


I see you're in Toronto, Loding has sleek Chelseas for $330. Jack Erwin as well.


Edited by BrooksLauren77 - 10/21/15 at 9:16pm
post #31472 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksLauren77 View Post


I see you're in Toronto, Loding has sleek Chelseas for $330. Jack Erwin as well.


No shops in Montreal tho. Will have to do a quick trip to T.


Edited by stylexchangemtl - 11/3/15 at 11:15am
post #31473 of 33197

New to the forum and I've always been into fashion and enjoyed dressing nice.  During my 20's-30's this was important as I grew up in LA and if you wanted to get laid you had to dress to impress.

 

Fast Forward 15 year and my dress code was horrible as I put in 40 extra pounds and didn't bother dressing nice after getting married.  I’ve since dropped most of the extra weight and I’m buying a new wardrobe.  I noticed a lot of today’s clothes are made to “fit” unlick the cross color days where all my pants where 6-8 sizes too big.   I have a picked up a few new pairs of pants / suits and the waist is 36 although I probably could use a 37 I don’t want them to be “baggy” in a few months as I’m still losing weight. 

 

My problem is a lot of my shirts and old clothes are just too big, but as I buy newer smaller shirts size 44 or 17.5 32/33 I noticed the bottoms seem to bunch and look sloppy at the waist and they still don’t fit just right.  If I go down to a 16 they are too small in the chest area and I can’t lift my arms. 

 

Do this mean I need to get custom fitted shirts to have that clean look simply because I’m 5’8 on the heavier side and have a wide chest and arms? 

post #31474 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
 

New to the forum and I've always been into fashion and enjoyed dressing nice.  During my 20's-30's this was important as I grew up in LA and if you wanted to get laid you had to dress to impress.

 

Fast Forward 15 year and my dress code was horrible as I put in 40 extra pounds and didn't bother dressing nice after getting married.  I’ve since dropped most of the extra weight and I’m buying a new wardrobe.  I noticed a lot of today’s clothes are made to “fit” unlick the cross color days where all my pants where 6-8 sizes too big.   I have a picked up a few new pairs of pants / suits and the waist is 36 although I probably could use a 37 I don’t want them to be “baggy” in a few months as I’m still losing weight. 

 

My problem is a lot of my shirts and old clothes are just too big, but as I buy newer smaller shirts size 44 or 17.5 32/33 I noticed the bottoms seem to bunch and look sloppy at the waist and they still don’t fit just right.  If I go down to a 16 they are too small in the chest area and I can’t lift my arms. 

 

Do this mean I need to get custom fitted shirts to have that clean look simply because I’m 5’8 on the heavier side and have a wide chest and arms? 

You could just have the 44s tailored. They can shorten a shirt or slim it pretty easily.

post #31475 of 33197
Quick question..Would #8 shell pair well with white (chinos)?

Thanks in advance..
post #31476 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post

Quick question..Would #8 shell pair well with white (chinos)?

Thanks in advance..

What's up top?

post #31477 of 33197
Thanks for the reply..

Sports coat. Light/med blue

Shirt 1. Light pink

Shirt 2. (Bolder) pink & white stripe
post #31478 of 33197

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
 

You could just have the 44s tailored. They can shorten a shirt or slim it pretty easily.


Is that common?  I've never heard of anyone getting an off the shelf shirt tailored, but after looking it up it seems it would be a huge plus.  What's the average costs of something like that and is it possible to get french cuffs shortened at all?

 

Also on the suit side is it possible to "add" and inch in the chest area if I previously had the suit tailored?  Not sure if that makes since, but basically I have some suits from several years ago when I was skinny and not sure if I can simply let some fabric out on them or not. 

post #31479 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
 

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
 

You could just have the 44s tailored. They can shorten a shirt or slim it pretty easily.


Is that common?  I've never heard of anyone getting an off the shelf shirt tailored, but after looking it up it seems it would be a huge plus.  What's the average costs of something like that and is it possible to get french cuffs shortened at all?

 

Also on the suit side is it possible to "add" and inch in the chest area if I previously had the suit tailored?  Not sure if that makes since, but basically I have some suits from several years ago when I was skinny and not sure if I can simply let some fabric out on them or not. 

Very common to get OTR shirts tailored, in fact, I'd say it's encouraged. As to letting out the chest, if there's enough room in the seam allowance, I'd say yes. This should serve as a good costing tool for alterations:

http://www.brotherstailors.com/alterations-prices/

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post

Thanks for the reply..

Sports coat. Light/med blue

Shirt 1. Light pink

Shirt 2. (Bolder) pink & white stripe

I think Shell #8 could work, but you might consider a lighter brown like tan or walnut with such a light colored combination.

post #31480 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slh View Post

What trousers material would be nice to be worn together a navy hopsack jacket?
I was thinking about fresco, but I noticed they are very expensive, so I thought of linen trousers in beige/cream/tan. Also in tan/cream I think they would look better to be worn with shirt sleeves without a jacket, instead of the usual grey which doesn't work as well. Just an opinion of mine.
I understand fresco is more formal than linen, but the jacket is quite casual.

As others have said, your options include basically any lightweight odd trouser that isn't too dark in color.

I wear cream linen and cotton a lot with a very open unlined hopsack I have in the summer. I also like it with a lightish mid-grey pents in a different hopsack fabric. If it's very light and open, I'd probably avoid woolens, but what the hell do I know, I'm just a guy who wears hopsack odd trou with a hopsack odd jacket.
post #31481 of 33197
Koala-T...


Thanks again. I was actually asking as to the 8 in order to see if I could eliminate carrying tan shoes on my upcoming trip. Oh well. Nothing like riding the line as to weight limits. Lol.
post #31482 of 33197
I am in Canada and obviously the winters here can be harsh. I already have a wool topcoat but I was thinking I also need something with a hood.

Does a parka work with wool slacks? Or are topcats and other wool coats my only options? That means no hood?
post #31483 of 33197
I have moths in my house. Doing my best to get rid of them, but have paid the price with some wool clothes. I have a pair of new Heshung boots with wool tops. Anything I can spray on them to keep the little buggers away?
post #31484 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsphd View Post

I have moths in my house. Doing my best to get rid of them, but have paid the price with some wool clothes. I have a pair of new Heshung boots with wool tops. Anything I can spray on them to keep the little buggers away?

Probably better off keeping them in a cedar drawer or something like that.

post #31485 of 33197
Need a pair of medium weight, slim not skinny trousers to wear with navy blazer for work. Was looking for camel/ British tan but couldn't find--

- any suggestions for $200 or less?

- do these work with a navy blazer ?


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)