or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2040

post #30586 of 33197

Generally, but not always.  I have a dark red solid wool tie in a neat weave as well as several wool/silk blends that certainly provide a bit of visual interest without altering the formality.  The silk/wool blend ones in particular have the most pleasing hand and lustre to the fabric I've felt in a tie; my only regret is that I do not own more of them.

post #30587 of 33197

Hi,

 

I have been silently browsing these forums for a number of months, and, for the first time, need to ask a question!

 

I have recently acquired a nice Hackett Navy Windowpane suit (http://www.hackett.com/catalog/product/view/id/180627/category/15/?color=59).  For an important business networking event next week, my planned combo is with a blue and white tie (similar to this one, http://www.hackett.com/catalog/product/view/id/180255/category/59/?color=193), M2M pink shirt, plain burgundy pocket square, and oxblood shoes \ belt.

 

Is there too much red going on here, and would it be more prudent to tone the outfit down with a white shirt?

 

Many thanks from London.

post #30588 of 33197

I would skip the pink shirt. I would also reconsider the tie - that spacing on the stripes is somewhat close to the spacing of the window pane. Going with a solid or smaller patterned tie seems safer

post #30589 of 33197

Much obliged, thank you.

post #30590 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post


Wool ties are generally pretty informal to begin with, most are about as informal as you can get while still wearing a tie, so you're already bottomed out on that metric.

cptjeff,

Ah...I thought they were appropriate for CBD. Can you tell me where I can get awesome "neats" (ties) for under $40? I always see nicely, dense-patterned ties on HOF and wonder where I can get them and on the cheap. Also, what is the proper/formal name for "neats"? Macclesfield ties?

tumblr_lrtoimU4EF1qfex1b.jpg

tumblr_lrto9jZOAv1qfex1b.jpg

900x900px-LL-9bcdd091_image.jpeg

900x900px-LL-294841f0_IMG_6223.jpeg 

post #30591 of 33197
those remind me of e. marinella ties ^^
post #30592 of 33197

The first two pics are, yup yup.

 

Do you or does anyone else know where I can get ties that are patterned like those ones for <$40?

post #30593 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post
 

The first two pics are, yup yup.

 

Do you or does anyone else know where I can get ties that are patterned like those ones for <$40?

Check Chipp and The Knottery

 

http://www.chippneckwear.com/ancient-madder/

 

http://theknottery.com/ties/

 

Also, I've found that vintage Ferrell Reed and Bert Pulitzer ties are great sources for neats. Brooks Brothers on sale might meet your needs as well. 

 

If I were you, I'd hit a thrift shop or etsy and see what you can find.

post #30594 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
 

Check Chipp and The Knottery

 

http://www.chippneckwear.com/ancient-madder/

 

http://theknottery.com/ties/

 

Also, I've found that vintage Ferrell Reed and Bert Pulitzer ties are great sources for neats. Brooks Brothers on sale might meet your needs as well. 

 

If I were you, I'd hit a thrift shop or etsy and see what you can find.

Thank you, Koala. What should I run in my searches? As mentioned above, I don't know what the proper term is. Do you have a few examples?

post #30595 of 33197

"Neats" "Foulard" "Ancient Madder" ties

 

Or just search those brands. Maybe add in Liberty of London. Brooks Brothers. and narrow by accessories.

post #30596 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
 

"Neats" "Foulard" "Ancient Madder" ties

 

Or just search those brands. Maybe add in Liberty of London. Brooks Brothers. and narrow by accessories.

Thanks, I did look up the links you provided but noticed none of them look quite as good as the marinella ties. Are there no other makers of those patterns?

post #30597 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post
 

Thanks, I did look up the links you provided but noticed none of them look quite as good as the marinella ties. Are there no other makers of those patterns?

I actually like the Chipp ties quite a lot, though I'm betting the texture of the Marinella ties is better. The answer is not at your price point. Not unless you thrift.

post #30598 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
 

I actually like the Chipp ties quite a lot, though I'm betting the texture of the Marinella ties is better. The answer is not at your price point. Not unless you thrift.

Thank you :]

 

Do the Chipp ties rotate seasonally? The website seems to have a small selection.

 

Edit: does anyone know who Jeter got his tuxedo from? I wish he'd pull his pants up but it looks great other than that, seriously.

 

a1a38ac4dd907b80cfd38bc1a45e51091582a28c.jpg


Edited by cakv - 5/4/15 at 5:28pm
post #30599 of 33197
post #30600 of 33197

I want to buy a single black bow tie to use for formal occasions. I prefer the diamond shape, I like the look the most, but I am worried it will look out of place in formal situations? Would I be okay wearing this style as a mid 20s guy?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)