or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2039

post #30571 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos25 View Post
 


Is a combination suede/leather shoe okay or too frankenstein?

The only combos I like are saddle shoes. Not really fond of the other stuff.

post #30572 of 33197

Is Gustin quality on par with Epaulet or Gitman Vintage?

post #30573 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewelljr View Post

Is Gustin quality on par with Epaulet or Gitman Vintage?

Yes.
post #30574 of 33197

Thrifted a wool trench coat and the armholes are cut pretty low:

20150501115407O0E2C7CE9-0EAC-5831-41A8-FD5B4B05AC4B1333117483R

 

20150501115428O0E2C7CE9-0EAC-5831-41A8-FD5B4B05AC4B1333117483R

I know this is bad on suit jackets or blazers but is it okay for overcoats? I suppose low armholes are better for layering but when is it too much?

post #30575 of 33197

Gents, Carmina shoes are Goodyear welted and don't show channel stitching like American-made shoes: if I send them to B Nelson or Moulded Shoe, will they resole the shoes the same way and hide the stitching? I like the look better than the look my AE and Alden shoes have.

post #30576 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post

Gents, Carmina shoes are Goodyear welted and don't show channel stitching like American-made shoes: if I send them to B Nelson or Moulded Shoe, will they resole the shoes the same way and hide the stitching? I like the look better than the look my AE and Alden shoes have.
It's called hidden/closed channel stitching. B. Nelson can get it the same way, but there is an upcharge for it. IIIRC it's an extra $70.
post #30577 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


It's called hidden/closed channel stitching. B. Nelson can get it the same way, but there is an upcharge for it. IIIRC it's an extra $70.

Holy shit. Seriously? so a JR resoling is goign to be 150+70?

 

Do you think Moulded would be a better value(not just monetarily speaking)?

post #30578 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post

Holy shit. Seriously? so a JR resoling is goign to be 150+70?

Do you think Moulded would be a better value(not just monetarily speaking)?
I can't comment on Moulded Shoe as I don't know what services they offer or have ever had anything done by them, so not sure why they would be a better value.
post #30579 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


I can't comment on Moulded Shoe as I don't know what services they offer or have ever had anything done by them, so not sure why they would be a better value.

I've read some people here prefer that company over Nick. Just fishing for opinions. $220 is pretty steep though. Guess I'll just wear it less often.

post #30580 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post

I've read some people here prefer that company over Nick. Just fishing for opinions. $220 is pretty steep though. Guess I'll just wear it less often.
Maybe this is something that is only being said in the Alden thread, but I haven't heard that before and wasn't even aware they offered post-sale services such as resoling.
post #30581 of 33197
Just be aware if you ever plan to have the shoe re-crafted, some makers hold the right to refuse shoes which have been worked on by other parties.
post #30582 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

Just be aware if you ever plan to have the shoe re-crafted, some makers hold the right to refuse shoes which have been worked on by other parties.

Yup yup, I'm aware of that. I know AE does that. What would you recommend for Carmina shoes, @Ich_Dien? I've read extensively on Alden vs BNelson and AE vs BNelson, but I feel like these shoes are a bit different because they have some details that appear more specially made.

 

Also,

has anyone ever bought wool ties and have the outer face of the blade begin to fray? I have a wool tie from TheTieBar and the front facing is not as clean as it was when I first bought it. This doesn't happen with Silk and I'm beginning to regret trying wool. Does this happen with expensive wool ties?


Edited by cakv - 5/1/15 at 1:58pm
post #30583 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

Just be aware if you ever plan to have the shoe re-crafted, some makers hold the right to refuse shoes which have been worked on by other parties.

 

 

Has there been a list compiled anywhere of which makers do this? I have a pair of Cleverleys that are almost due for their first resole. I don't really wont to spend several hundred on a full recraft yet but I want to be able to still have that option for when the upper start to show significant wear. I guess I might have to resort to Topying instead for now.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post
 

has anyone ever bought wool ties and have the outer face of the blade begin to fray? I have a wool tie from TheTieBar and the front facing is not as clean as it was when I first bought it. This doesn't happen with Silk and I'm beginning to regret trying wool. Does this happen with expensive wool ties?

 

Yes, they will pretty much all start to fray a bit, though I guess maybe some more that others. I have a few and they had all shown signs of wear but not so much that I couldn't wear them or that they were particularly noticeable. I think its like grenandine ties. Those will always inevitably get a pull here or there. some people consider it 'character'.

post #30584 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post

 

Yes, they will pretty much all start to fray a bit, though I guess maybe some more that others. I have a few and they had all shown signs of wear but not so much that I couldn't wear them or that they were particularly noticeable. I think its like grenandine ties. Those will always inevitably get a pull here or there. some people consider it 'character'.

That's interesting. Would you say the fraying has made the ties look less formal as a result? By how much?

post #30585 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakv View Post

That's interesting. Would you say the fraying has made the ties look less formal as a result? By how much?

Wool ties are generally pretty informal to begin with, most are about as informal as you can get while still wearing a tie, so you're already bottomed out on that metric.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)