or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 2018

post #30256 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123p123 View Post

I have a dark navy suit and would like a knitted tie and tie bar that would work well.
Just bear in mind that knitted ties tend to be a little more casual than most silk ties. I'm not saying this is inherently bad - it can be exactly what you want, in some situations. But sometimes it's not what you want. So just be aware of this.

As for the tie bar, I don't often wear tie bars, so I'm not well qualified to advise you. But since somebody has to ask, I'll ask - Are you sure you even want to wear a tie bar? It's one of those accessories which has recently regained some degree of trendiness, but it's certainly not an "All well-dressed men should wear one," accessory.
post #30257 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123p123 View Post
 

I have a dark navy suit and would like a knitted tie and tie bar that would work well. Any suggestions on colour and style of tie bar etc? 

 

Photos or web-links would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks

 

Tie bar on a knit tie strikes me as wrong and overly foppish. But I'm a young guy with conservative style and liberal ideals. 

 

I'd opt for a silk knit or grenadine with a navy suit assuming its worsted. If it is a thicker fabric (flannel, tweed etc) a wool knit. If it is a cotton or linen suit, silk or cotton knit. 

post #30258 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post

Perhaps the silliest question of the day, but here goes...

My shirt cuffs typically have two buttons, one button for a loose cuff and the other for a more snug cuff.  Is there any sartorial aesthetic reason or "rule" regarding which button should be used?

My cuffs tend to fit better when I use the snug button.  If using the snug button is not "against the rules," I'd rather not have the cuffs resized/cuff buttons re-located.

Thanks in advance!


- John

My experience has been that you usually get the two buttons on the cuff if you bought a shirt with two sleeve numbers, e.g., 15-32/33. The tighter button is for a 32 sleeve and the looser button is for a 33 sleeve. I usually only buy dress/sport shirts now with only one sleeve length number so most of my shirts only have the one button and possibly a gauntlet button.
post #30259 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123p123 View Post
 

I have a dark navy suit and would like a knitted tie and tie bar that would work well. Any suggestions on colour and style of tie bar etc? 

 

Photos or web-links would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks

Tie bars with knit ties look awesome. Go for it. Make it a shorter bar. Match it to your belt or suspender hardware if possible. Try the Knottery, or Chipp. Both have good knits for good prices. Color of tie will depend largely on your shirt, but if you go with solid white or solid light blue shirt, just about anything will work. Get some color in your life. Green or Red.

post #30260 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post

Go for it. Make it a shorter bar. Match it to your belt or suspender hardware if possible.
But since you will keep your jacket on, and buttoned (save when seated, perhaps), it won't be readily apparent that your tie bar matches your belt or your suspender hardware.
post #30261 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


But since you will keep your jacket on, and buttoned (save when seated, perhaps), it won't be readily apparent that your tie bar matches your belt or your suspender hardware.

You are right, and that's more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

post #30262 of 33197
Anyone have experience with Jose and Markham shoes? http://jose-markham.com/

I am in need of new shoes and would really like to invest in something of quality that I can resole multiple times. I cannot currently justify the 500cad + tax for AEs and looking for an alternative. 160cad gets me classic style with Goodyear welts with jose and Markham - sounds to good to be true. Appreciate any first had feedback or 2nd opinion - worth a shot?
post #30263 of 33197

I don't know about their quality first hand but I will tell you that after taking a glance at their offerings I am of the opinion that they are pretty ugly. They aren't complete abominations which, at that price, is usually what you'd find, so they have that going for them, but my personal opinion is that I would not put my feet in them. YMMV.

post #30264 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

I don't know about their quality first hand but I will tell you that after taking a glance at their offerings I am of the opinion that they are pretty ugly. They aren't complete abominations which, at that price, is usually what you'd find, so they have that going for them, but my personal opinion is that I would not put my feet in them. YMMV.

I don't disagree. If you are set on these, stick to something plain like their cap toes.

post #30265 of 33197
Are these trousers too short?

post #30266 of 33197
Depends on what look you're going for. Traditionally they are too short, IMO suit pants should at least rest on your shoes
post #30267 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnobuyens View Post

Depends on what look you're going for. Traditionally they are too short, IMO suit pants should at least rest on your shoes

With these pair of trousers I will just be wearing a shirt I said to the tailor I want no break has he "done them" correctly?
post #30268 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming View Post

With these pair of trousers I will just be wearing a shirt I said to the tailor I want no break has he "done them" correctly?
No break doesn't mean a good inch off the shoes, he's definitely made them too short.
post #30269 of 33197
Does it look tereib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnobuyens View Post

No break doesn't mean a good inch off the shoes, he's definitely made them too short.

Does it look terrible?
post #30270 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming View Post

Does it look tereib
Does it look terrible?

Yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)