or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1981

post #29701 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming View Post

I work in a office and the standard dress code for men seems to be trousers and shirt.

To me, trousers and shirt on its own is a look which I don't like. I always feel like something is missing when I wear trousers and a shirt.

The problem is I'm on the phone a lot so will it look odd if I start rocking up at work in a suit, not taking the jacket off and making calls?

 

Put on a sweater?

 

If every other male in the office is wearing a shirt and trousers, and you show up in a suit, it will look odd. You will be inviting attention to yourself and your dress in a way that most people will not understand. If you can stand it, you are welcome to do it, but you will likely become known as "that guy who wears a suit."

 

Better to work on things like fit and style within the context of the parameters of the dress code, rather than try to redefine the dress code on your own.

post #29702 of 33197
It's not a strict dress code it's just what every male in the office decides to wear. We can turn up in a pair of jeans and a polo if we want too!

I suppose I will have to start wearing sweaters then as I think a shirt on its own without something over it looks a bit "off".
post #29703 of 33197

Hello,

 

I would like to ask your opinion on rope bracelets ? What do you think about them ? love/hate and why ?

 

Thank you in advance :)

 

Best regards !

post #29704 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming View Post

It's not a strict dress code it's just what every male in the office decides to wear. We can turn up in a pair of jeans and a polo if we want too!

I suppose I will have to start wearing sweaters then as I think a shirt on its own without something over it looks a bit "off".


I fail to see what is so objectionable about a dress shirt and slacks.

 

Wearing a suit when everyone else is wearing what you say they are probably not do you favours.

post #29705 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksLauren77 View Post


I fail to see what is so objectionable about a dress shirt and slacks.

Wearing a suit when everyone else is wearing what you say they are probably not do you favours.

I feel that it looks "incomplete." I would NEVER just wear slacks and a shirt w/o a jacket. Never. Same with men i see going to work with slacks/shirt and tie with no jacket.
post #29706 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman View Post
 

thanks- but i dont want to wear black.  its a casual wedding and will not be very formal.  


As ter said, this makes little sense based on your initial question. Wear the cognac shoes if you must, but do not wear a belt with your waistcoat, it will bunch up and ruin the V silhouette of your suit.

post #29707 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming View Post

It's not a strict dress code it's just what every male in the office decides to wear. We can turn up in a pair of jeans and a polo if we want too!

I suppose I will have to start wearing sweaters then as I think a shirt on its own without something over it looks a bit "off".


I started a new job a year ago and I didn't like the trousers and dress shirt look either (also felt something was missing) so after a month of being there I started wearing a suit without a tie, then a month later I introduced the tie and cufflinks. Now, 10 months on I notice around 15 people (about 10% of staff in this office) wearing suits daily, some of those also with tie and cufflinks. I have also noticed that the standard of dress has improved overall throughout the office.

 

Wear what you are comfortable with but perhaps build up to it gradually?

post #29708 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post


I feel that it looks "incomplete." I would NEVER just wear slacks and a shirt w/o a jacket. Never. Same with men i see going to work with slacks/shirt and tie with no jacket.


Well I agree with the tie with no jacket/sweater look being incomplete.

post #29709 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles View Post


I started a new job a year ago and I didn't like the trousers and dress shirt look either (also felt something was missing) so after a month of being there I started wearing a suit without a tie, then a month later I introduced the tie and cufflinks. Now, 10 months on I notice around 15 people (about 10% of staff in this office) wearing suits daily, some of those also with tie and cufflinks. I have also noticed that the standard of dress has improved overall throughout the office.

Wear what you are comfortable with but perhaps build up to it gradually?

Good idea. I suppose one good thing I do have on my side is im a top performer in my office so I can probably get away with it just.

I also noticed that when I started wearing a sports jacket with trousers and shirt my boss would whip out his Jermyn street shirts. He also commented on my colourful socks. He liked them a lot!

I just plan on wearing a suit without a tie I don't think it will be that objectionable. How can it be?
post #29710 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming View Post


Good idea. I suppose one good thing I do have on my side is im a top performer in my office so I can probably get away with it just.

I also noticed that when I started wearing a sports jacket with trousers and shirt my boss would whip out his Jermyn street shirts. He also commented on my colourful socks. He liked them a lot!

I just plan on wearing a suit without a tie I don't think it will be that objectionable. How can it be?

Business suits and no tie are a big no-no here.

post #29711 of 33197
So, if I don't want to wear a tie should I just wear a sports jacket, shirt and trousers then?
post #29712 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming View Post

So, if I don't want to wear a tie should I just wear a sports jacket, shirt and trousers then?

That would be more "sartorially correct", yes.

post #29713 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

I feel that it looks "incomplete." I would NEVER just wear slacks and a shirt w/o a jacket. Never.
It's pretty much the uniform for corporate business casual in NY in my opinion. I don't see an issue with it.
post #29714 of 33197

how does it not make sense? 

 

makes perfect sense to me.  i dont want to wear black shoes; in fact, that wasnt even the question.

 

i happen to think black is formal.  there is a waistcoat, but considering the setting and the accoutrements, i dont consider that all that formal either.

 

ill consider no belt, but ive seen it done with the waistcoat many times.  i dont think it looks all that bad, but if there is a bunching issue, ill reconsider.  function and fashion!

 

in any event, have any thoughts on the plate buckle?  thanks in advance.

post #29715 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman View Post


ill consider no belt, but ive seen it done with the waistcoat many times.  i dont think it looks all that bad, but if there is a bunching issue, ill reconsider.  function and fashion!

in any event, have any thoughts on the plate buckle?  thanks in advance.
I'll try stating this again.
You shouldn't wear a belt with a three piece suit.
But if you choose to do so, the belt absolutely should not be seen. Therefore it really doesn't matter what color belt you wear, if you decide to wear a belt at all. A plate buckle is, I think, going to be more conspicuous under a vest, so that would not be my first choice. But you should do whatever you think is best, since you don't appear very receptive to advice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)