or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1936

post #29026 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexbrah View Post

Thinking of buying a couple grenadine ties. They would need to match a navy suit (indochino shark skin) and a medium grey suit. What 2 colours would you guys suggest? I'm mainly thinking of purchasing off chipp2. Are there any other grenadine ties I should consider other than chipp's?

+1 on the navy. From what I've been reading on here, black is considered highly recommended for first purchases of grenadine ties as well.
post #29027 of 33197
Thanks for the input guys. I was going to get a navy for sure pretty much and was thinking about a forest green or possibly a chocolate colour for the second but couldn't really decide. I would have gotten a burgundy but I already have a burgundy silk tie so will probably save the burgundy grenadine for a future purchase possibly in a grossa instead. So I guess I'm just having difficulties choosing between the forest green and chocolate for my second grenadine.....
post #29028 of 33197

just pick one for now and pick up the other later if you still want it.  chipp isn't going to break the bank.  or just get all 3 now :)

post #29029 of 33197
so i work in an office w/ strange dress code. it requires a tie but no jacket. not sure i'd call it business casual but it's close - i think.

any how, in lieu of wearing a jacket while simultaneously avoiding the "lost jacket" look of wearing a dress shirt and silk tie without one...what can i do?

i am considering grabbing some slim fit chinos, a few OCBDs and a few knit or wool ties. not sure if that might be too casual or if that would look ridiculous.

looking forward to advice.
post #29030 of 33197
Chinos, ocbd and knit or wool tie is probably the most casual interpretation of that dress code possible. If everyone else is in smart wool pants, broadcloth dress shirts and silk ties, you will stand out. What does everyone else wear? What does your boss wear?
post #29031 of 33197

you could do OCBD with knit or wool tie and a cardigan on top.

 

but I still dont' see your great fear of throwing on a casual sportcoat.  you're clearly concerned about the shirt/no tie look, so why not be the well-dressed guy there.

 

plus, i'm sensing you work in the IT department and nobody is gona notice what you wear anyway, so do what you feel comfortable doing.

post #29032 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Chinos, ocbd and knit or wool tie is probably the most casual interpretation of that dress code possible. If everyone else is in smart wool pants, broadcloth dress shirts and silk ties, you will stand out. What does everyone else wear? What does your boss wear?

everyone else wears chinos/dress shirts/ties. no one CARES about fashion here and my boss might be the least caring of all.

our director DOES dress quite nice daily but i have little/no interaction with him other than seeing him walk by our cube farm occasionally.
post #29033 of 33197

so you want to dress more nicely and happen to work around a bunch of people who are oblivious to dressing in general.  nobody is going to fire you for looking nicer (and, by the way, more professional).  what else is there to say?

post #29034 of 33197

Wear a jacket or suit: better to be more than less.  Even if your jacket is mostly on the back of your chair.  You can dress that down with OCBD / chambray / linen / whatever, and a knit tie.  But you'll be SF compliant (the most important thing, obviously), won't look like a waiter, and will stand out as the guy who intends to be a director.  For which others will hate you.  But when you are a director they will hide it more, and if not, you can fire them.

post #29035 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp View Post

so you want to dress more nicely and happen to work around a bunch of people who are oblivious to dressing in general.  nobody is going to fire you for looking nicer (and, by the way, more professional).  what else is there to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Wear a jacket or suit: better to be more than less.  Even if your jacket is mostly on the back of your chair.  You can dress that down with OCBD / chambray / linen / whatever, and a knit tie.  But you'll be SF compliant (the most important thing, obviously), won't look like a waiter, and will stand out as the guy who intends to be a director.  For which others will hate you.  But when you are a director they will hide it more, and if not, you can fire them.

i think money is a factor atm. i hit thrift stores fairly often and find some really nice jackets but never my size (will keep looking).

so the jacket thing is NOT off the table, just for right now with the holidays approaching.

that said, what 3 colors will be most versatile? i am thinking the forest, the fossil and maybe the french khaki?

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-plain-front-tailored-fit-no-iron-chino-pants/id_205102
post #29036 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Since they're out of charcoal in your size, get it in loden heather. There, I won't even bother giving you any reason for my choice. I'm just telling you flat out to buy it in loden heather. Period.

Then follow up with the pea coat, in navy, because navy is the only proper color for a pea coat. And again, I refuse to offer any of my reasoning. I'm simply declaring that you must buy the pea coat in navy, or you're wrong.

Damn, that felt good. Usually I provide reasons for my suggestions, but every now and then it's liberating to just tell someone what to do, with no explanation attached.

 

Lol. Well I took your advice.  Let's see what happens when it gets here....

post #29037 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexbrah View Post

Thinking of buying a couple grenadine ties. They would need to match a navy suit (indochino shark skin) and a medium grey suit. What 2 colours would you guys suggest? I'm mainly thinking of purchasing off chipp2. Are there any other grenadine ties I should consider other than chipp's?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp View Post
 

thats probably your best bet in that price range.  definitely get a navy.  then maybe a dark green or burgundy. 


+1. Navy pindot would work too.


Edited by BrooksLauren77 - 11/14/14 at 10:02am
post #29038 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

so i work in an office w/ strange dress code. it requires a tie but no jacket. not sure i'd call it business casual but it's close - i think.

any how, in lieu of wearing a jacket while simultaneously avoiding the "lost jacket" look of wearing a dress shirt and silk tie without one...what can i do?

i am considering grabbing some slim fit chinos, a few OCBDs and a few knit or wool ties. not sure if that might be too casual or if that would look ridiculous.

looking forward to advice.


Get a few v neck sweaters and cardigans; I also like the look of a 1/4 zip sweater with a tie underneath. You can also use a shawl collar cardigan as a jacket.

 

Why not wear a sport coat into the office then take it off when you get in?

 

As to the pants, I'd get the stone and khaki colours and a pair of wool pants in a shade of gray. For the shirts I'd personally wear pinpoint oxford for a business casual office.

post #29039 of 33197

Tailoring question:

 

J.Crew's dock pea coat fits me really well, but I don't like how it flares out so much around the hips (not me in the photo). Is that something a tailor would be able to slim down, or would it be tricky because of the vent in back?

 

I'm having a hard time visualizing how it could be done.

post #29040 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by divot View Post
 

Tailoring question:

 

J.Crew's dock pea coat fits me really well, but I don't like how it flares out so much around the hips (not me in the photo). Is that something a tailor would be able to slim down, or would it be tricky because of the vent in back?

 

I'm having a hard time visualizing how it could be done.

I think the coat has a lot of waist supression in the back and that is why the coat looks "hippy" on him. Take that with a grain of salt though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)