Edited by onix - 9/24/14 at 12:11pm
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 2:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1917post #28742 of 333809/24/14 at 3:14ampost #28743 of 333809/24/14 at 6:58ampost #28744 of 333809/24/14 at 5:58pmpost #28745 of 333809/24/14 at 8:13pmpost #28746 of 333809/24/14 at 8:16pmpost #28747 of 333809/25/14 at 1:22am
I have a question related to the sizing of suits and overcoat. I am normally have suits with size 36. Now, I am intending to buy an overcoat (online and have no chance to try that overcoat directly). So, my question is normally, what size the overcoat should be? It should be size 36 or it should be one size larger (size 38) to cover a suit. I don't want to try a wrongly overcoat and return it to the seller (or at least, reduce the ability to have to return that overcoat).post #28748 of 333809/25/14 at 6:30ampost #28749 of 333809/25/14 at 6:41ampost #28750 of 333809/25/14 at 8:24amQuote:
Not sure I understand the logic behind buying a throwaway suit. Why don't you just rent one? Or buy a decent cheap suit and have it shipped to or from? Or something?post #28751 of 333809/25/14 at 9:02amQuote:Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Oh, here's another:
I saw a Seinfeld the other day where Jerry's new suede jacket was destroyed by snow. I've never owned suede anything before, but was hoping to get some suede shoes - is it true that even a modest amount of moisture will make them spotty? If not, where does the idea come from that it will?
Usually I personally would only wear my suede UGG boots when the weather is dry outside, as when suede gets wet and then dries it can give you a different texture or it can mark depending on how wet it gets.
Go into a good shoe shop, you're likely to find a waterproofing spray you can use on suede boots. It will also help to stop the mud sticking to them.
My advice: Stay out of the wet!post #28752 of 333809/25/14 at 11:41amI'm headed to Seattle this weekend for two hockey games. I'm going to try to arrive early enough on Saturday to take a look for a suit at Nordstrom's. Anything in particular I should look for? I'm looking at either something decent/good enough under $400, or very good value in the $7-800 type of range. Any brands to look at, or avoid? Same question for Macy's - for my price range, is it worth looking there?
Situation is I need a grey suit for a wedding, and I'm either going to get something cheap (not garbage, but will accept made in China of its made reasonably well in China, for example), or something if a more permanent nature.
Style wise, high arm holes, and generally slim fitting suits my body, but I'm not after the trendy slim fit styling. I.e I don't want a high gorge, and wild prefer 3-3.5" lapels, though 2.5 can look well proportioned in me. I don't want a super short jacket, but a little short is ok, as I'm 5'7" and I don't mind giving myself some extra height.
Any thoughts on any of those points are welcome. I'm not delusional; I know I can't have the world at either of those price points. Obviously I'll be less picky at the lower range than my ceiling. In that $800 range, for me, that has to be a suit to invest in, that I can wear 15-20 times per year for a long time.
Also if there is anywhere else I should look - as a priority, as my time is limited this trip - let me know.
Thanks in advance!post #28753 of 333809/25/14 at 11:57ampost #28754 of 333809/25/14 at 12:01pmQuote:
It sounds pretty good to me, unless the groom is going to be wearing shorts. Even then, you could always leave the jacket off, and roll up your sleeves. A linen suit would give the same option.
Do you know how formal the wedding is in general? Where is the couple from, and what did the invitation say/look like? And, if in doubt, ask the hostess what she thinks the gents will be wearing.post #28755 of 333809/25/14 at 12:36pm
Hi, I've been trawling the style forums these last few months and it's widened my world view about dressing well.
I'm a professional in his mid-late thirties and have just gotten back to work after a few month holiday break.
I usually have everything I own fitting in a suitcase and hence got rid of my shirts pre-holiday. Which is nice opportunity to restart my formal/workwear wardrobe completely.
I would've gone the Ted Baker shoes, random designer suit and TM Lewin shirt route before several style forum threads set me right. :)
My (now revised) buy list has
Charcoal grey Napoli (or a slimmer fit) Suit Supply suit. (size 38R - 5'9"/176 cmd, and maintain my weight between 68-72 kilos (150-150 lbs)
Navy Blue MTM Suitsupply
Already have a DKNY cream suit that I can add/revolve as a third pair.
Burgundy blazer suitsupply
Meermin Linea Maestro brown double monks
Meermin Classic line Burgundy
Vacillating between a Ferragamo reversible belt
Or one from the Bloomingdale's men's collection which really catches my eye
I'm vacillating between catches my eye and treating myself well. And there's a 150 quid difference between the belts, and maybe a 6-700 quid markup on the MTM vs another RTW one :)
And maybe 5-10 shirts from the Hilditch and Key peeps.
Foundation of solids black, brown, light blue, and a couple of stripes, and designs. all slim fitted.
They're having a 30 quid sale at the moment, so a pretty good deal I reckon.
Haha, kicking myself for jumping for the TM Lewins 4 shirt discount right off the bat.
1. I would be v v grateful for any suggestions re; the above for a complete work/formal/office wardrobe from the ground up (£1700-2000 quid ballpark (two RTW suits, or an MTM/RTW combo.)
2. What trouser's would you recommend - I'm thinking of a brown, black, navy-blue, and tan UK made pairs (size 32). I could visit local London stores if need be :)
Thanks for feedback and advice :)
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 56 seconds ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway