or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1905

post #28561 of 30553
COLOR COMBO: walnut cordovan dalton + light grey wool pants (already own) + Jacket(?)
======
I don't have any odd jackets so I want to get a new one. I'm thinking of pairing my light grey wool pants with a royal blue or a "bright" blue (not north carolina blue). I imagine the jacket buttons will be white. Does this combination make sense? Thanks. Any other suggestions for a jacket color?
post #28562 of 30553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseandcat View Post

COLOR COMBO: walnut cordovan dalton + light grey wool pants (already own) + Jacket(?)
======
I don't have any odd jackets so I want to get a new one. I'm thinking of pairing my light grey wool pants with a royal blue or a "bright" blue (not north carolina blue). I imagine the jacket buttons will be white. Does this combination make sense? Thanks. Any other suggestions for a jacket color?

I'd avoid pairing a light grey pant with a light jacket -- you want measurably lighter or darker. If you have no jackets at all, maybe get something with a pattern that you can also wear with staples like khakis, denim, etc.

post #28563 of 30553
great, thanks for the suggestion. my pant color is about that color, certainly not darker than in the picture you posted.
post #28564 of 30553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseandcat View Post

great, thanks for the suggestion. my pant color is about that color, certainly not darker than in the picture you posted.

Cool.

Also as much as I hate menswear cliches -- and this is the biggest menswear cliche of all -- a navy jacket really does look great with light grey. The cliche-ness can again be mitigated by going with a pattern.

Just don't wear navy with charcoal (aka the security guard uniform).
post #28565 of 30553

Hello All...

When I lived back in Washington DC back in the '80's, all I had to go on was the book Dress For Success...  I had Bostonian penny loafers made in the US, and I think Johnson and Murphy Wingtips and a pair of Cap Toes, I cannot remember where from, also made in the US.  All of them lined in leather.  

 

About 10 years ago, my now ex-wife donated all of my dress shoes, suits, shirts and most of my ties...  

 

I discovered this site looking for info on my beloved Bostonian shoes.  Only to find they have moved the building operation off-shore, and most of the shoes look like crap.  

 

I have found a pair of NOS Bostonian US made loafers like I used to have, in 12 EEE.  They will be worn about 6 times a year.  I am also considering a pair of Cap-Toes, also black, to be worn maybe twice a year.  I hate when my feet are miserable, I am in my 50's and won't put up with that anymore.  Any suggestions?  In looking at the Allen Edmonds, I notice most of the used ones on ebay (looking there to see what they look like after use) seem to have huge gaps to the sides of the tongue area.  Is this normal?  Also, I cannot remember if my old cap-toes were styled like the AE's, or if they were a Blucher style.  Anyone have opinions on one style over the other?  I will need a 12.5-13 E for size.

post #28566 of 30553

Quick question that's probably simple but I can't seem to make my mind up about:

 

Spring/summer, navy cotton/linen blazer (true navy), light grey trousers. Do tan shoes work? 

 

I know they go well with light grey trou, but something about the darkness of the navy up top seems to throw the whole thing off balance in my head and I can't get around it. Also, stone/khaki trou is a non-option because this would be exclusively worn with white shirts, and I'm not fond of the 'California tux' look.

post #28567 of 30553
Technically they work, yes. Tan looks better with off white or white though.
post #28568 of 30553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

Technically they work, yes. Tan looks better with off white or white though.

 

Very much agreed, but white pants with a white shirt is an obvious no-go, and any tan/earthtone just looks wrong to me with a white shirt - maybe that's where my thinking is off?

 

So, corollary: can tan/khaki pants work with with a white shirt (w/jacket, I think it looks fine without).

post #28569 of 30553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan View Post

Very much agreed, but white pants with a white shirt is an obvious no-go, and any tan/earthtone just looks wrong to me with a white shirt - maybe that's where my thinking is off?

So, corollary: can tan/khaki pants work with with a white shirt (w/jacket, I think it looks fine without).

White on white works. For the walking tampon look.
post #28570 of 30553
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post


White on white works. For the walking tampon look.

 

:sarcasm:

post #28571 of 30553
White on white works very well in that sort of "I'm going to watch the regatta / cricket / tennis" sort of way to be fair if it is broken up by accessories like a dark tie or belt and jacket or jumper on the shoulders. Very Ralph Lauren but when done well actually very dashing.
post #28572 of 30553

That's all well and good - but as I said, I'm more interested in opinions of white on stone/light tan trousers...

post #28573 of 30553
Also fine, mate. Think you're overthinking things a bit here.
post #28574 of 30553
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzAzul View Post

Cool.

Also as much as I hate menswear cliches -- and this is the biggest menswear cliche of all -- a navy jacket really does look great with light grey. The cliche-ness can again be mitigated by going with a pattern.

Just don't wear navy with charcoal (aka the security guard uniform).

i was being lazy and just went straight to suitsupply and picked up the wool/linen blend jacket (the singblebreasted 2button) you posted.
post #28575 of 30553

Hi all

 

If someone here owns or ever owned a piece of Loro Piana baby cashmere jacket then I would like to know your experience with it. It will be nice if you can answer following questions:

 

How long have you owned it ?

What care you had to take to maintain it ?

Any idea who makes it for them ?

Did you notice anything like it going out of shape or pilling after few or many wears ?

 

I wanted to buy this jacket (see url below) and before making such an expensive purchase wanted opinions of learned members here.

 

Loro Piana Madrid Baby Cashmere Drap: www.loropiana.com/flash.html#/lang:en/product/FAD2496/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)