My actual chest measurement is 42.5". I always fit in either a 38 or a 40. A 42 is enormous on me even in slim-fitting fashion brands.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 4:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1894post #28396 of 327878/3/14 at 3:26pmpost #28397 of 327878/3/14 at 4:12pmQuote:Perhaps you're mismeasuring your chest. Perhaps you just happen to try on brands which label according to some... unique... conception of size. Perhaps your body shape and/or shoulder-to-chest ratio is weird. Perhaps your standard of "too big" is not in line with what most people would regard as too big. Perhaps something else entirely.Originally Posted by JSDNJ
My chest measures 39.5'', but every time I try on a 40R OTR suit jacket it seems too big. I wound up recently buying a 38R even though my chest is almost 40''
What gives? I have experienced this in multiple brands too. I guess my body type is weird? I always try to go from the shoulders and all the 40Rs looked too big in the shoulders.
In any case, does it really matter? Just as a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, so will a properly-fitting jacket fit you properly, whether it's labeled a size 38, or size 40, or for that matter a size 56. It's simply a number, having little real significance beyond being a rough guide as to which jacket you ought to try on for size first.
If you can try on the jacket in the store, no problem. If you are mail ordering jackets, try to stick with a line with whose sizing system you're familiar, and/or from someplace with easy and inexpensive return privileges.
I understand that women often face this problem, in that a one company's size 4 jeans may be smaller than another company's size 2, or larger than a competitor's size 6. Similar situation with dresses, if my niece is to be believed. Vanity sizing, it's sometimes called. Well, maybe some company labels a size 42 men's jacket a size 38, so that men who need a size 42 can instead buy a size 38, and feel good about how slight and trim they are (these being physical qualities desired by some men).
Sure, in an ideal world, maybe all manufacturers/retailers would honestly label a jacket's size on the basis of the jacket's actual chest measurement in inches. But last I looked, this was not an ideal world.post #28398 of 327878/4/14 at 7:55am
i have a question regarding shoes.
i've noticed on a lot of dress shoes that on the sole of the shoe, on the inside of the foot. Right on the heel of the shoe, there seems to typically be a triangular shape cut out of the point of the heel as it ends.
It's never on both sides, but only the inside side of the heel.
curious what the heck the purpose of that missing triangular piece is?
i found a random pic of shoes with that triangular groove:post #28399 of 327878/4/14 at 11:19ampost #28400 of 327878/4/14 at 1:28pmpost #28401 of 327878/4/14 at 2:28pmpost #28402 of 327878/4/14 at 9:51pmHey everyone.
Is it possible to alter the armhole (or armpit) of a shirt and make it more loose?
I just got some shirts made to measure but the armpit area is too tight. Is there anything that can be done (maybe with the shoulder seam or something) to loosen up the area?
Thanks in advance!post #28403 of 327878/5/14 at 4:35ampost #28404 of 327878/5/14 at 1:05pm
Im headed to Madrid and Barcelona Spain next month. Are therer any places to shop for suits/blazer in either city that are reminiscent of Suitsupply or Kent Wang? Basically a shop where I can find decent quality suits without either the heavy price tag or the overly fashion forward mindset (ie: like Zara, H&M, Reiss etc)
I tried to doing a search on here but without much results. Thanks.post #28405 of 327878/5/14 at 1:58pmpost #28406 of 327878/5/14 at 2:01pmpost #28407 of 327878/5/14 at 2:23pmpost #28408 of 327878/5/14 at 3:06pmpost #28409 of 327878/7/14 at 9:33ampost #28410 of 327878/7/14 at 9:46amQuote:
They probably fit like tents as well. You might try Charles Tyrwhitt's slim fit. I actually really like Uniqlo's shirts which are in the $35 range.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › What are you drinking right now? 45 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 51 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 5 minutes ago
- › Cigars 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 12 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding