My actual chest measurement is 42.5". I always fit in either a 38 or a 40. A 42 is enormous on me even in slim-fitting fashion brands.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 7:47 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Today
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: Today
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1894post #28396 of 321738/3/14 at 3:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #28397 of 321738/3/14 at 4:12pmQuote:Perhaps you're mismeasuring your chest. Perhaps you just happen to try on brands which label according to some... unique... conception of size. Perhaps your body shape and/or shoulder-to-chest ratio is weird. Perhaps your standard of "too big" is not in line with what most people would regard as too big. Perhaps something else entirely.Originally Posted by JSDNJ
My chest measures 39.5'', but every time I try on a 40R OTR suit jacket it seems too big. I wound up recently buying a 38R even though my chest is almost 40''
What gives? I have experienced this in multiple brands too. I guess my body type is weird? I always try to go from the shoulders and all the 40Rs looked too big in the shoulders.
In any case, does it really matter? Just as a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, so will a properly-fitting jacket fit you properly, whether it's labeled a size 38, or size 40, or for that matter a size 56. It's simply a number, having little real significance beyond being a rough guide as to which jacket you ought to try on for size first.
If you can try on the jacket in the store, no problem. If you are mail ordering jackets, try to stick with a line with whose sizing system you're familiar, and/or from someplace with easy and inexpensive return privileges.
I understand that women often face this problem, in that a one company's size 4 jeans may be smaller than another company's size 2, or larger than a competitor's size 6. Similar situation with dresses, if my niece is to be believed. Vanity sizing, it's sometimes called. Well, maybe some company labels a size 42 men's jacket a size 38, so that men who need a size 42 can instead buy a size 38, and feel good about how slight and trim they are (these being physical qualities desired by some men).
Sure, in an ideal world, maybe all manufacturers/retailers would honestly label a jacket's size on the basis of the jacket's actual chest measurement in inches. But last I looked, this was not an ideal world.post #28398 of 321738/4/14 at 7:55am
i have a question regarding shoes.
i've noticed on a lot of dress shoes that on the sole of the shoe, on the inside of the foot. Right on the heel of the shoe, there seems to typically be a triangular shape cut out of the point of the heel as it ends.
It's never on both sides, but only the inside side of the heel.
curious what the heck the purpose of that missing triangular piece is?
i found a random pic of shoes with that triangular groove:post #28399 of 321738/4/14 at 11:19ampost #28400 of 321738/4/14 at 1:28pmpost #28401 of 321738/4/14 at 2:28pmpost #28402 of 321738/4/14 at 9:51pmHey everyone.
Is it possible to alter the armhole (or armpit) of a shirt and make it more loose?
I just got some shirts made to measure but the armpit area is too tight. Is there anything that can be done (maybe with the shoulder seam or something) to loosen up the area?
Thanks in advance!post #28403 of 321738/5/14 at 4:35ampost #28404 of 321738/5/14 at 1:05pm
Im headed to Madrid and Barcelona Spain next month. Are therer any places to shop for suits/blazer in either city that are reminiscent of Suitsupply or Kent Wang? Basically a shop where I can find decent quality suits without either the heavy price tag or the overly fashion forward mindset (ie: like Zara, H&M, Reiss etc)
I tried to doing a search on here but without much results. Thanks.post #28405 of 321738/5/14 at 1:58pmpost #28406 of 321738/5/14 at 2:01pmpost #28407 of 321738/5/14 at 2:23pmpost #28408 of 321738/5/14 at 3:06pmpost #28409 of 321738/7/14 at 9:33ampost #28410 of 321738/7/14 at 9:46amQuote:
They probably fit like tents as well. You might try Charles Tyrwhitt's slim fit. I actually really like Uniqlo's shirts which are in the $35 range.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizing
- › GG MEGATHREAD!!!!! UK9.5E/US10D!!!!! 4 minutes ago
- › ALDEN ALT WEIN (Antique Edge) 9.5D 4 minutes ago
- › Ring Jacket Balloon Wool Size 38 4 minutes ago
- › ARC'TERYX VEILANCE F13 MIONN INSULATION HOODED VEST 4 minutes ago
- › Vass Melton Antique cognac - New Peter last size 43 - Brand new in box 4 minutes ago
- › Vass chukka medium brown suede - F last size 43 - Brand new 4 minutes ago
- › Beautiful Vass Old English II on the new SP last! Size 42. Brand... 4 minutes ago
- › Fantastic Vass black crocodile wholecuts. Size 43.5 U last 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Plain Toe Blucher size 8.5D on Barrie / BNIB 4 minutes ago
- › NWT Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Grey Burgundy... 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...