or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1868

post #28006 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact1400 View Post

I bought a 38L Suit Supply Sienna and 38L Suit Supply Napoli Faux Uni. On both of them the trousers are insanely tight. My usual size is 34 x 32. These are listed as 33, but I figured there was room to let out. I can't button up either pair of trousers, but aside from that the taper is so slim that I look like I'm wearing skinny jeans or tights.

I have a Napoli and didn't have this issue and my pants are not that slim to me. They have slimmer cuts than this. My drop is 42 to 34 though. I think your chest size is cut for little guys for any suit supply suit. You sound relatively tall for a 38. If you have bigger legs than upper body these suits might not be for you.
post #28007 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
 

Is there anything practical in wearing lightly colored ties like this?

 

There's nothing good about those ties -- lightly colored satin bowties are only justifiable if you're trying to match your date for the junior prom.

 

But light ties are just fine, as long as they're darker than the shirt. They should really be worn with a darker coat, too: trying to do a light tie, light shirt, and light coat is rather tough.

post #28008 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

There's nothing good about those ties -- lightly colored satin bowties are only justifiable if you're trying to match your date for the junior prom.

 

But light ties are just fine, as long as they're darker than the shirt. They should really be worn with a darker coat, too: trying to do a light tie, light shirt, and light coat is rather tough.

 

That's actually polyester with a "silk" pretense.. Haha.

 

See, all of my ties are polyester because I have silk pocket squares.. It's difficult to find legit linen ties online (and I have limited funds, so I can't go to the haberdasheries). A polyester tie and a silk pocket square are antithetical fabrics that can otherwise work, yes?  

 

Of course, a darker coat balances the colors out.

post #28009 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
 

 

That's actually polyester with a "silk" pretense.. Haha.

 

See, all of my ties are polyester because I have silk pocket squares.. It's difficult to find legit linen ties online (and I have limited funds, so I can't go to the haberdasheries). A polyester tie and a silk pocket square are antithetical fabrics that can otherwise work, yes?  

 

Of course, a darker coat balances the colors out.


You have to be kidding.

 

Wise men can differ on the idea of wearing a silk hank and a silk tie. The argument against it is that a texture contrast is nice. Poly ties are, nearly without an exception, cheap, inferior imitations of silk ties

 

You have taken a minor point (texture contrast being a nice thing to have) and reduced it to absurdity: the point is moot if the ties are bad (doubly so if the ties imitate silk). The most elegant dressers often wear ties in a different material to their hanks, but not a single one of them wears a lot of poly ties. I've never seen a poly tie I particularly liked, and I have known them to age poorly.

 

I have no objection to wearing a silk hank with a silk tie, for what it's worth.

post #28010 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 


You have to be kidding.

 

Wise men can differ on the idea of wearing a silk hank and a silk tie. The argument against it is that a texture contrast is nice. Poly ties are, nearly without an exception, cheap, inferior imitations of silk ties

 

You have taken a minor point (texture contrast being a nice thing to have) and reduced it to absurdity: the point is moot if the ties are bad (doubly so if the ties imitate silk). The most elegant dressers often wear ties in a different material to their hanks, but not a single one of them wears a lot of poly ties. I've never seen a poly tie I particularly liked, and I have known them to age poorly.

 

I have no objection to wearing a silk hank with a silk tie, for what it's worth.

 

Ah crap, so I've been wasting my money on these damn polyester ties all this time? Sigh... :facepalm:

 

Then what the hell is this then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

No. Do not match. Pocket square should not be same fabric as the tie. Only a minor color of the tie should be captured in pocketsquare.

 

From PutThisOn.com:

 

Tie + pocket square sets made from the same fabric should never be worn (let alone bought), but you should also not recreate this kind of look with whatever items you have on hand.

post #28011 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post

Then what the hell is this then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

No. Do not match. Pocket square should not be same fabric as the tie. Only a minor color of the tie should be captured in pocketsquare.

From PutThisOn.com:

Tie + pocket square sets made from the same fabric should never be worn (let alone bought), but you should also not recreate this kind of look with whatever items you have on hand.

LOL. They are talking about matching sets made from the SAME EXACT FABRIC, not just the same material.
post #28012 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post


LOL. They are talking about matching sets made from the SAME EXACT FABRIC, not just the same material.


Oh no.... *facepalm*

 

But then again, shouldn't they have used the word 'pattern' instead of fabric? Because fabric and material are synonyms..

 

I'm still a neophyte in being soigne.. not everyone was born with this information..

post #28013 of 30726

Speaking of which. I just received my first non white PS today along with my first FU/'dandy' tie (large print paisley). 

Can I wear them together? The tie is Red/Yellow and the PS is Red/Yellow with touches of blue and green. The only thing that makes me think they may be ok together is a- the tie is a paisley while the PS is floral and b- the ps is a madder print (I think, I've never seen madder before but the tie is a standard silk and the PS is a chalkier fabric with deeper coloring.

 

Is it doable?

post #28014 of 30726

On the plus side, Kira, you can't have wasted too much of it.:)

 

I'm very lucky: nearly all of my purchases have been in thrift stores, but I assure you, I have bought some really terrible stuff. It's inevitable that you'll feel you've wasted some of your money at some stage of learning to dress and building a wardrobe. With careful education, and occasionally cross-checking your sources (I don't agree with everything on PTO, and I don't agree with everything in Flusser, but everything that they agree on is solid gold).

 

But yes. That commonly stated advice is in reference to the same pattern, not the same fiber. Really, the PTO advice would be slightly better stated as "the same pattern." If you somehow had the same exact pattern in silk and in cotton, that would be as bad as the same exact cloth for both pieces.

 

That said, it is true that some really excellent dressers will often wear different materials in ties and hanks (white linen squares with their worsted suits and silk ties, silk squares with their knit or wool ties and tweed jackets). But many of them don't mind, either.

 

I haven't ordered anything from The Tie Bar, but their stuff is at least silk. I have heard that it is of variable quality, but I have heard good things about their repp ties, and I sort of believe in starting with repp ties and building out from there.

 

ovlov: from that description, maybe. Then again, maybe not. Can you post a picture?

post #28015 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

On the plus side, Kira, you can't have wasted too much of it.:)

 

I'm very lucky: nearly all of my purchases have been in thrift stores, but I assure you, I have bought some really terrible stuff. It's inevitable that you'll feel you've wasted some of your money at some stage of learning to dress and building a wardrobe. With careful education, and occasionally cross-checking your sources (I don't agree with everything on PTO, and I don't agree with everything in Flusser, but everything that they agree on is solid gold).

 

But yes. That commonly stated advice is in reference to the same pattern, not the same fiber. Really, the PTO advice would be slightly better stated as "the same pattern." If you somehow had the same exact pattern in silk and in cotton, that would be as bad as the same exact cloth for both pieces.

 

That said, it is true that some really excellent dressers will often wear different materials in ties and hanks (white linen squares with their worsted suits and silk ties, silk squares with their knit or wool ties and tweed jackets). But many of them don't mind, either.

 

I haven't ordered anything from The Tie Bar, but their stuff is at least silk. I have heard that it is of variable quality, but I have heard good things about their repp ties, and I sort of believe in starting with repp ties and building out from there.

 

ovlov: from that description, maybe. Then again, maybe not. Can you post a picture?

 

There aren't really good thrift stores here.. the only decent item I bought was a pair of Express Producer pants. I wouldn't buy anything from Express except their pants.. Actually, I wouldn't dare pay $80+ for a pair of pants from Express... I would be better off buying them at Ebay (dry cleaning them first before wearing of course!). I've already wasted about $200 in SB jackets (I prefer DBs now) and ill-fitting shoes.. I've threw most of them away (including some DBs that I didn't care for--including a suspected orphaned jacket from Hugo Boss). I'm starting to sell the rest of my SB jackets and look for some more DBs.

 

Regarding the ties, at least I don't have to stress about contrasting the fabric of ties and PSs... It really doesn't matter in my town because I still get compliments on my Polyester ties.. xD I recently bought one of those silk imitating bow-ties though.. at least it was black?

 

When I leave for Austin soon, I'll have much more options. Their haberdasheries are quite reputable.

 

I've heard mixed reviews regrading The Tie Bar. Also, I'm leaning towards bow ties more (because they look best if a DB besides a Dinner Jacket), but I'll alternate with long ties as well.

 

Ovlov: That actually sounds bad. Floral with Paisley? :/

post #28016 of 30726


Haven't even come out of the packaging yet. I know the tie certainly isn't SF approved but I thought it would be nice to have one FU outfit. Sprezzing up the accessories seemed like a better idea than buying a whole new suit
post #28017 of 30726

Don't be extreme. I like DB, but SB jackets are much more wearable.

 

Anyway, one of the problems with learning to dress on the internet is that there are many men who know exactly what they like, and have only that. But it's a bit silly to only have one kind of thing when you're learning to dress: buy a mixture of different things, and don't be in a hurry to buy stuff. I started wanting to dress well near the end of my time in high school. I have made a lot of progress, and I have made a lot of mistakes. And I was in a hurry to dress better and better for most of it. But ultimately, it takes time. It's not a matter of walking into the right store, or spending the right amount of money. It's a learning process.

 

Ovlov: Hell to the no. That tie with a lighter suit, shirt with a white stripe, and white linen square? Could be cool. That square with navy blazer, white shirt, tan trousers, no tie, slightly FU attitude? Cool enough. But those are as much as you can do on their own, and together they're excessive. They also have no relationship to each other.

post #28018 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post



Haven't even come out of the packaging yet. I know the tie certainly isn't SF approved but I thought it would be nice to have one FU outfit. Sprezzing up the accessories seemed like a better idea than buying a whole new suit

 

Oh my goodness... :o

post #28019 of 30726
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

Don't be extreme. I like DB, but SB jackets are much more wearable.

 

Anyway, one of the problems with learning to dress on the internet is that there are many men who know exactly what they like, and have only that. But it's a bit silly to only have one kind of thing when you're learning to dress: buy a mixture of different things, and don't be in a hurry to buy stuff. I started wanting to dress well near the end of my time in high school. I have made a lot of progress, and I have made a lot of mistakes. And I was in a hurry to dress better and better for most of it. But ultimately, it takes time. It's not a matter of walking into the right store, or spending the right amount of money. It's a learning process.

 

Ovlov: Hell to the no. That tie with a lighter suit, shirt with a white stripe, and white linen square? Could be cool. That square with navy blazer, white shirt, tan trousers, no tie, slightly FU attitude? Cool enough. But those are as much as you can do on their own, and together they're excessive. They also have no relationship to each other.

 

+1

 

We can debate about the DB vs SB, but it'll end up being a stalemate. Since I'm still not going into the business school until a year or two, I'm just going to reserve the SB look on business suits. My interest on SB odd jackets is waning.. The DB jacket is simply timeless to me, and I feel much more confident and dapper on a DB than a SB (IMHO). Yes, the jackets are much more harder (and usually more expensive to find), but the pay off is extremely worth it. Did you see those DBs a few pages ago? I believe those speak for themselves. :)

 

But honestly? I'm ultimately leaning towards getting bespoke DBs in 6x2, 4x2, and 2x1 in every hue and bespoke shirts as well (not the intense colors like Fuchsia or Turquoise). I absolutely hate the puffy look, and getting all 20+ OTR shirts altered sounds like a waste of money. I'll be looking around for some slim-fitting shirts that can fit me well without too much tailoring. I've heard BB selling well fitting shirts.

 

That is true. It does take time.

post #28020 of 30726

@YRR92 Yeah I figured as much. I'm still new to all this as well. I was offered my choice of a free PS with my tie order and that looked to nicest by itself. I have no experience with matching squares to outfits though.

 

I was actually originally hoping to wear it with a mid blue Sports jacket and a plain or simple patterned grenadine or wool tie.

 

The tie though I could get away with wearing with a standard navy suit our the same blue SJ. Thats pretty much my entire wardrobe at the moment anyhow :( 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)