or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1863

post #27931 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Kira, instead of buying random jackets and then coming online to ask strangers what you can wear them with, why not buy jackets that you know fit with a style you're aiming to accomplish?


Unfortunately, I don't have enough cash to purchase jackets that I absolutely know that fit me (i.e. bespoke). The amount of money I've spent of those jackets above was less than $500. That's the not even the price of one jacket by a decent designer!

 

I've already got my measurements; and have altered these jackets personally. Also, it's exciting finding these gems (subjective) online and discovering what's out there. There are thousands if not tens of thousands of DBs located in areas where people presume as "lowly" (i.e. Goodwill stores, Church garage sales, estate sales, warehouse sales. etc.). Where I live (in a moderately populated area), I'm literally one of very few people who dresses up.. And I don't even wear nor have a suit! I tell people that wearing an odd jacket w/ odd trousers is more on the "casual" side of dress (but higher than street wear). But when I go to business school, I believe I will have enough cash to purchase several suits (unfortunately SBs as well) in the future. It is something that I really cannot wait for.

 

Now, I'm starting to dislike the SB suit. I just don't find it as elegant as the DB. With this, I'm going to stop buying SB blazers look for ones that I already mentioned above. By the way, I saw another boating jacket!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I haven't purchased this jacket because I'm not a fan of the baby crap green. It's still for sale on the auction site. It ends in more than 10 hours. Here's a link if anyone is interested.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380918042481?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post #27932 of 33197
Respectfully, man, that explanation only makes mimo's question more relevant.
post #27933 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzAzul View Post

Respectfully, man, that explanation only makes mimo's question more relevant.

 

No offense taken. I embrace criticism (except for obvious trolling) so I can learn from my mistakes and develop as a man who masters the art of sartorialism. I rebutted Mimo's question by stating that I don't have a disposable income.. plain and simple. A priori, dressing well is very expensive, but the pay-off is worth it (in my own opinion). After years of dressing in polos and graphic t-shirts, I had enough. I started looking at style forum, grooming, and other haberdashery websites, and I took notes and bookmarked web pages. Nevertheless, it is fruitless unless one is fit and healthy.

post #27934 of 33197
Yeah, but you see, if you have a limited income that makes it all the wiser to buy coats that work with the clothes you already have. And to not do things like buy a dinner jacket that is almost never wearable and then have pants made to match it.
post #27935 of 33197

Kira, I'm not asking why you don't buy bespoke, I'm asking why you buy things you don't definitely know how you're going to wear.  A bit of experimentation is fun, and I can also see the joy in picking up some vintage curios and seeing what you can do with them.  But you seem to be buying a lot, kind of for its own sake, with no great purpose.  If you're on a limited budget (aren't we all?), that seems crazy.  Unless it's shoes, that would be OK.  OK, that would be me.  But anyway, you get the point I'm sure.  Also, don't buy a jacket with the aim of making trousers to "match".  They won't.  If you're going to buy a crazy odd jacket, imagine the (contrasting) trousers you'll wear with it before you click "buy". :)

post #27936 of 33197

Just out of curiosity, why do you consider them bizarre (a bit extreme imo, haha)? Because of the color? The style is pretty much normal considering it's just a slip-on sneaker. I guess I wasn't clear, but I do not plan to wear these as a formal shoe--they're sneakers after all. I would wear them casually as an everyday sneaker. By "semi-formal" I just meant informal parties and the like, nothing fancy. 

post #27937 of 33197

Bad: this is "Classic Menswear".  Sneakers are not classic, and I'm not even sure these are menswear.  They are glued together piece of shit slip on teddy-boy brothel creepers done to a budget.  On the plus side, they might work with Kira's yellow dinner jacket.  If you're joining Showaddywaddy.

 

So here it is: if there's one thing to take seriously about your clothes, for a fundamentally life-changing style choice, then let that one thing be shoes.  You can have all kinds of fun with shoes, but never compromise on quality. :)

post #27938 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

So here it is: if there's one thing to take seriously about your clothes, for a fundamentally life-changing style choice, then let that one thing be shoes.  You can have all kinds of fun with shoes, but never compromise on quality. smile.gif

+1. PTO summed this up well too: http://putthison.com/post/44797274960/the-elevator-pitch-of-how-to-start-dressing
post #27939 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzAzul View Post

Yeah, but you see, if you have a limited income that makes it all the wiser to buy coats that work with the clothes you already have. And to not do things like buy a dinner jacket that is almost never wearable and then have pants made to match it.

 

+1

 

That, I can agree on. I'm not a compulsive shopper, but I try to buy jackets that can match the clothes that I already have. However, the items that are for sale are usually the eccentric DBs or the boating jackets (i.e. the one listed above). The logic answer to this dilemma is to not buy them. However, these are extremely hard to find and very few pop up. However, I see the reason in your argument and I will eschew from the eccentric jackets. I will start with the jackets and neutral colors and work from there. For example, I still don't have a black, grey, taupe, or white DB jacket. These are the ones that I need to focus on. I really like the look of bow ties on DBs, but that's a completely different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Kira, I'm not asking why you don't buy bespoke, I'm asking why you buy things you don't definitely know how you're going to wear.  A bit of experimentation is fun, and I can also see the joy in picking up some vintage curios and seeing what you can do with them.  But you seem to be buying a lot, kind of for its own sake, with no great purpose.  If you're on a limited budget (aren't we all?), that seems crazy.  Unless it's shoes, that would be OK.  OK, that would be me.  But anyway, you get the point I'm sure.  Also, don't buy a jacket with the aim of making trousers to "match".  They won't.  If you're going to buy a crazy odd jacket, imagine the (contrasting) trousers you'll wear with it before you click "buy". :)

 

+1

 

Thanks for the advice. Oh no, I wouldn't dare match my trousers to my pants! And I haven't even started on buying decent shoes.. I threw most of my shoes away because they were either too big or of bad quality. I should probably start from there and buy obligatory, colored jackets one at a time.

post #27940 of 33197
Bought my suit for prom (dark navy ) and my tie (burgundy http://m.moss.co.uk/moss-1851-pure-silk-paisley-tie-wine-964879318) and I was wondering what pocket square would go well with it. Thanks in advance. I'm getting rid of those blue laces aswell.
post #27941 of 33197

Hi,

 

I have a wedding in Tuscany this summer, and I'm thinking on wearing a light gray suit I'm getting refitted at the moment (I've lost a significant amount of weight recently). Very similar to this in style:

 

 

With a plain white/light blue shirt, and a couple of accessories to bring it to life. I was thinking on a Liberty print type tie and handkerchief. Any thoughts? Any recommendations on other variations? I don't actually own any hankies yet, so this is new for me and I think the occasion is just perfect for it.

 

Edit, I'm planning on wearing it with a pair of Carmina double monks (not sure if that helps):

 


Edited by ML594806 - 6/8/14 at 12:49pm
post #27942 of 33197

Is it just me or does this self-stripe look odd?

 

http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/b6/b6458364_SU0114317b.jpeg

post #27943 of 33197
So I just got this MTM vest for my wedding. Is it just me or does the button point seem too high?

post #27944 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by facet View Post

So I just got this MTM vest for my wedding. Is it just me or does the button point seem too high?

[IMG ALT=""]

Looks great to me!
post #27945 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML594806 View Post

Hi,

I have a wedding in Tuscany this summer

Linen is your friend if you absolutely must wear a suit, otherwise expect to be seriously uncomfortable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)