Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1846

post #27676 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

You know "both" is the correct answer.  And if you're picking up used or seconds, there's also the value of opportunity with something you really like.  You don't see navy brogues every day...

 

Yeah, I think that's what got me about the navy ones. They're definitely uncommon!

post #27677 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ats200 View Post
 

This suit is on sale at J Crew, it's a ludlow Glen Plaid wool/polyamide blend. I really love the suit but am curious if this is suitable for an office setting and if it's purely a winter style. My wife says winter but I can see it in the summer as well with a light blue shirt.

 

It's noted as black and khaki with a blue overcheck. Let me know your thoughts!

 

What's the texture like? It looks more cool-weather than summer-y, but if the fabric weight is right for summer it wouldn't be a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeppopotamus View Post

Quick questions:

1. This shirt more or less fits right, yeah? Like I should buy more of this brand/cut?



2. Whoah, what is going on here.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Ignoring the shirt, are these different patterns?? When I got the jacket (light brown zig-zagy) and pants (very fine blue checkerboard) I just assumed they were solids. But on closer inspection they're not. What is this??

That's a sharkskin/pick-and-pick (two names for the same thing) jacket and birdseye trousers. If you bought that in a retail store as a suit, something's up. If you bought it in a thrift store, you paid for a lesson in checking stuff before you buy it.

 

That shirt's in your size, at least. It could use a press, and the sleeves seem awfully skinny, but really, if you're wearing it under a tailored jacket, then the collar shape and the cloth are as important as the fit through the body.

post #27678 of 33406
I recently just bought this Hugo Boss magenta pin dot tie here in Canada. Obviously being Canada the price was $110 and I know Hugo Boss doesn't have a great reputation here. Though the tie does say made in Italy.

Should I return it or keep it. I love the color and I'm a newbie at folding ties yet it created the best dimple I've ever had (this is my first 'good' tie). I feel like I should keep it because finding a quality magenta pin dot tie is pretty hard. I mean I see purple pin dot and stuff or maybe a light pink but not this.

Please ignore that I didn't cover the top button of my shirt with my tie. Rookie mistake. Keep the tie or not?

*
post #27679 of 33406
Is there an autumn/winter equivalent of the blazer suit? Ie something in earthy colors that could be worn as a suit or sport coat?
post #27680 of 33406
Well there's nothing to stop you wearing a navy blazer/blazer suit in autumn/winter of course. You could wear the jacket from a tweed suit separately quite easily. But how often would you wear a tweed suit? I have one but rarely wear it, though I'm in tweed jackets all the time.
post #27681 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ats200 View Post
 

This suit is on sale at J Crew, it's a ludlow Glen Plaid wool/polyamide blend. I really love the suit but am curious if this is suitable for an office setting and if it's purely a winter style. My wife says winter but I can see it in the summer as well with a light blue shirt.

 

It's noted as black and khaki with a blue overcheck. Let me know your thoughts!

Avoid.

post #27682 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post

Is there an autumn/winter equivalent of the blazer suit? Ie something in earthy colors that could be worn as a suit or sport coat?


What's a blazer suit?

post #27683 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Well there's nothing to stop you wearing a navy blazer/blazer suit in autumn/winter of course. You could wear the jacket from a tweed suit separately quite easily. But how often would you wear a tweed suit? I have one but rarely wear it, though I'm in tweed jackets all the time.

Well yes. But here's the rub. I am obviously trying to fill two holes in my wardrobe with one commission. I currently own 1 jacket and 3 suits. the oldest mangiest suit that is on its way out is grey. the rest are all dark blue/navy. So I'm trying to figure out if there is something that can fit both roles. I doubt I could wear a tweed suit to the office regardless of how lax the dress code is. I thought maybe something like  a reddish brown or grey wool  with a light pattern or something similar. though this is just in my imagination, and obviously since everything I have so far is plain blue i'm sure you can tell i'm still pretty sartorially inexperienced.

post #27684 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksLauren77 View Post
 


What's a blazer suit?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/71198/the-amazing-blazer-suit

 

pretty obvious really

post #27685 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

Well there's nothing to stop you wearing a navy blazer/blazer suit in autumn/winter of course. You could wear the jacket from a tweed suit separately quite easily. But how often would you wear a tweed suit? I have one but rarely wear it, though I'm in tweed jackets all the time.
Well yes. But here's the rub. I am obviously trying to fill two holes in my wardrobe with one commission. I currently own 1 jacket and 3 suits. the oldest mangiest suit that is on its way out is grey. the rest are all dark blue/navy. So I'm trying to figure out if there is something that can fit both roles. I doubt I could wear a tweed suit to the office regardless of how lax the dress code is. I thought maybe something like  a reddish brown or grey wool  with a light pattern or something similar. though this is just in my imagination, and obviously since everything I have so far is plain blue i'm sure you can tell i'm still pretty sartorially inexperienced.

Trouble is there are few cloths like the the sort you're talking about that can do this successfully. You'd think there would be, but in practice, most are just one thing or the other - suits or jackets. The sort of small scale, unobtrusive patterns/colours/textures you talking about would look no good as a sports coat. The sort of cloth that would look fine as a sports coat would make too bold a suit for the office.

I know it's a tempting idea, but personally I think you'd be better off getting a proper office suit now, if that's what you need, and then a proper odd jacket some time in the future.
post #27686 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post
 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/71198/the-amazing-blazer-suit

 

pretty obvious really


Ah, I forgot about that thread, thanks for reminding me.

post #27687 of 33406

Ovlov,

 

Your solution, perhaps, is what SF calls a "blazer suit": as a suit, it's rather less formal because the jacket will have patch pockets - at least on the sides - and overall because the cloth needs some texture for it to work.  Some kind of flannel or tweed is good, or at the other end of the spectrum, a slightly coarse-looking open weave or hopsack if you want something for warmer weather.  This limits you in style choices, and is best kept rather traditional e.g. notch lapels with a medium gorge, comfortable fit, and no idiosyncratic fripperies like contrasting buttonholes.  Light or contrasting buttons, though, will help the jacket look more like a blazer and less like and orphan when worn alone.  I'm not sure I love this style, personally, at least not as a suit where it appears sort of half way towards a country look without quite making it.

 

However, there are plenty who make it work: check out Claghorn, who I think has a couple, and a nice air force blue one if I remember rightly, that suits him beautifully.

 

* Edit: having just read the rest of the previous posts, this one is now rather redundant!

post #27688 of 33406
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post


Trouble is there are few cloths like the the sort you're talking about that can do this successfully. You'd think there would be, but in practice, most are just one thing or the other - suits or jackets. The sort of small scale, unobtrusive patterns/colours/textures you talking about would look no good as a sports coat. The sort of cloth that would look fine as a sports coat would make too bold a suit for the office.

I know it's a tempting idea, but personally I think you'd be better off getting a proper office suit now, if that's what you need, and then a proper odd jacket some time in the future.

Yeah you are probably right. I think i need a jacket more than a 4th suit though.

 

What would be a good suggestion for a first winter sport coat?

 

something to be worn with tan or grey pants

post #27689 of 33406
Tweed man, check out the official tweed thread
post #27690 of 33406
Hi,any experience on how to remove medallions on shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)