Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 7:00 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1830post #27436 of 334624/13/14 at 8:55ampost #27437 of 334624/13/14 at 9:00ampost #27438 of 334624/13/14 at 12:33pmpost #27439 of 334624/13/14 at 12:39pmQuote:Doesn't look like it. They look like gabardine.Originally Posted by Dingusberry
Are these pants 'flannel trousers'?
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Slim-Fit-Flat-Front-Grey-Trousers/46439,en_GB,pd.html?start=9&cgid=Casual-Trouserspost #27440 of 334624/13/14 at 12:42pmpost #27441 of 334624/13/14 at 12:42pm
Could be the fact that it is a gray odd jacket paired with what appears to be navy odd trousers (or maybe they are black?).post #27442 of 334624/13/14 at 1:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by MrTopCat
I wear men's size 7 (UK) shoes, but there is a pair of size 8 (UK) boots I really like on sale online (Chelsea boots).
Size 7 (UK) is not loose on me at all, and fits quite nicely.
Would a size 8 (UK) be too loose?
(I don't have the time to go and try them on for myself at the moment.)
Yes. They would be a full size too big.
Seriously dude, why is this a question? Don't buy shoes that aren't your size. Badly fitting shoes are a surefire recipe for pain.post #27443 of 334624/13/14 at 1:14pmpost #27444 of 334624/13/14 at 2:10pm
Quote:Originally Posted by arnathor
So I bring the question to this thread and would appreciate a dissection of the look.
Unless I am dead wrong, I do not find this offensive to the eyes. I know perhaps to some folks this is pushing it, and I mightn't have picked that particular tie, most likely a solid, but I do like that tie itself. However I quite like that SC and think it was a safe bet to pair with a blue shirt. In hindsight, perhaps a barrel cuff shirt would work nicer than a french cuff in this outfit.
It's possible to dress quite well, without being in the best possible taste. This is okay, but it's the very definition of "dressing like you sell clothes." That's the guy who runs Khakis of Carmel, right? So it's a good thing for him to dress like a haberdasher.
I don't love that tie, and the only pants I can picture looking great with that jacket are slate blue flannels, which leaves me in a quandry WRT shoes. But just because something isn't in the strictest good taste doesn't mean that it can't look good.
To be honest, those particular tattersalls are right down the middle. On one hand, the scale is large, which lends them to countryish or casual wear. On the other hand, the texture and colors aren't particularly tweed-y. Now, in my opinion, their natural place is with casual summer stuff, because of the colors. A tan cotton suit, or some kind of windowpane linen patterned jacket. I wouldn't like those shirts with worsted business suits, or with cool-weather tailored clothing.
Here are some shirts I can get behind, with either a spread or BD collar, with business-like clothes (suits a notch down from the most formal, like flannels or birdseyes). They would also be at home with more casual attire. The colors aren't married to a particular season.
Of the links you posted, the first two are too big: the size of the checks are borderline, but the thickness of the lines push them over the edge. The colors are very bold and spring-like, too. The blue/black one is nice, but I'm not sure of the scale. The fourth is okay, if a bit bright a color for a poplin (bold colors work well on brushed cotton, because then the texture makes them clearly a F/W shirt). The last one there is a sport shirt, and not one I like.
I'd gladly wear the "suit only" one you posted with an odd jacket in all but the roughest tweeds, or under a sweater.post #27445 of 334624/13/14 at 2:30pmpost #27446 of 334624/13/14 at 2:35pmpost #27447 of 334624/13/14 at 4:38pmpost #27448 of 334624/13/14 at 6:04pm
I have two pairs of trousers I really like and one of them is a staple color. However, both pairs are pleated (double pleats).
I'm 5'10 and weigh about 160 so I'm pretty slim. I've read that pleats often look best on slightly heavier gents. One of the pants is a staple grey and I don't have a FF pair in the same color so I'm hoping to make them work. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on having pleated pants fit correctly.
I think I might have to bring in the waist a bit on both pairs, but I'm not averse to doing that if they'll look good once that's done.post #27449 of 334624/13/14 at 6:13pmpost #27450 of 334624/13/14 at 6:14pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 10 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 14 minutes ago
- › Cuts! Fatherhood leather jacket sale 40/50R ish -RickOwens, MMM,... 16 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 16 minutes ago
- › 2 pairs of new GUSTIN jeans 34 slim 17 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 27 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 27 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 45 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 48 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...