or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1801

post #27001 of 33186

How complicated is taking in a jacket at the front darts?  Relatively speaking, how expensive would you expect it to be?

post #27002 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post
 

How complicated is taking in a jacket at the front darts?  Relatively speaking, how expensive would you expect it to be?

 

My local tailors charge about 20 for the chest and 20 for the waist, respectively. They're not the best, but it's reasonable. I need to try a different tailor though as it took this one 3 tries to get a pair of pants right (and cost about 40 dollars....).

post #27003 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

My local tailors charge about 20 for the chest and 20 for the waist, respectively. They're not the best, but it's reasonable. I need to try a different tailor though as it took this one 3 tries to get a pair of pants right (and cost about 40 dollars....).

Which parts of Boston are you willing to go to? I know some good ones.
post #27004 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

How complicated is taking in a jacket at the front darts?  Relatively speaking, how expensive would you expect it to be?

If I understand correctly that would require redoing the front pockets. Why would you want to do that?
post #27005 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post


If I understand correctly that would require redoing the front pockets. Why would you want to do that?

 

It's a thrifted jacket that is a bit big across the front; From pinning, this would seem to make it drape a bit better, and also improve the shape of the collar, relative to my neck.  I like the jacket, and the material, just need to determine if it's worth altering, or if I should sell it.

post #27006 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post


Which parts of Boston are you willing to go to? I know some good ones.

 

I'm in somerville, but I work on the redline and am close enough downtown that I'm around plenty of things. I'd like to keep it cheap though, hence my pick of staying local to home for this stuff. I'll definitely message you if I end up with something really important or expensive though!

post #27007 of 33186

Is it ever appropriate to wear a vest over a sportcoat/jacket?

I have a barbour liner vest that would be awkward underneath the jacket, but fits well on top.

post #27008 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Is it ever appropriate to wear a vest over a sportcoat/jacket?
About as often as it is to wear your underwear over your pants.
post #27009 of 33186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robs89 View Post
 

Vest - Tombolini, Suit - Suitsupply, Shirt - The Tailoring Club, Tie - Drake's London, Pocket Square - AD56, Shoes - Meermin, Watch - Rolex Submariner

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But this looks so good!

post #27010 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robs89 View Post
 

Vest - Tombolini, Suit - Suitsupply, Shirt - The Tailoring Club, Tie - Drake's London, Pocket Square - AD56, Shoes - Meermin, Watch - Rolex Submariner

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But this looks so good!

 

That looks fine over a suit jacket but would look ridiculous under one.

This might be what 12345Michael54321 is referring to and it won't look very good over a suit jacket :):

post #27011 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

My local tailors charge about 20 for the chest and 20 for the waist, respectively. They're not the best, but it's reasonable. I need to try a different tailor though as it took this one 3 tries to get a pair of pants right (and cost about 40 dollars....).

 

To get a sense of relative scale, how much would your tailor normally charge for hemming pants, shortening sleeves, and darting shirts?

post #27012 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robs89 View Post
 

Vest - Tombolini, Suit - Suitsupply, Shirt - The Tailoring Club, Tie - Drake's London, Pocket Square - AD56, Shoes - Meermin, Watch - Rolex Submariner

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But this looks so good!


Very nice colors....compliments.

post #27013 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

But this looks so good!

If you think it looks good, then do it. Simple as that.
post #27014 of 33186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

To get a sense of relative scale, how much would your tailor normally charge for hemming pants, shortening sleeves, and darting shirts?

Darting is like 10. Hemming is 12-15, sleeves about 20? Give or take a couple of bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

If you think it looks good, then do it. Simple as that.

Mine didn't so I gave up.
frown.gif
post #27015 of 33186
Vest over suit/jacket is more advanced and, with all due respect to people who wear that look, something where I feel like I'd see it in a sartorial/model type picture and think it looks okay and something where if I saw it on the street I'd think it does not look very good.

That said, Rob executes it the way you'd want to if you want that look - I'm just saying I personally don't find it to be a good look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)