or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1786

post #26776 of 33127

Can I wear this as a sports jacket, or should I try and sell the jacket on e-bay? The pants ripped at a wedding and can't be repaired.

 

 

post #26777 of 33127

In most cases I don't think you should do stripes outside of a suit. It's a 3 button as well, which makes it work even worse as an odd jacket, and the color too. I'd definitely say no as it looks exactly like what it is.

post #26778 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post

Can I wear this as a sports jacket...?

FTLOG no and why do you have all the buttons buttoned?
post #26779 of 33127

I am considering this pair of Santoni's.  My first impression was that someone put a leather condom over the toes of the shoes (I did not want to ask why).

 

Since then, I keep looking at them and liking them.  My questions:

 

1.  How formal of an outfit could I wear these shoes with?  Suit and tie?  It is difficult to tell color on photos like this, but assuming the color looked good, could I wear it with a pin stripe blue or grey suit?

 

2.  Is there a name for this type of style?

 

 

Thank you in advance.

post #26780 of 33127
^ I think you should revisit your first impression... just make it 3 times worse.
post #26781 of 33127

Those shoes are definitely special...

post #26782 of 33127

I've recently won an auction for these boots:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weston-Oxford-Stiefel-Balmoral-Boots-UK-8-/171247455560?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=UjtSolW2LPI%252Bqr45AHKnGOUmy9U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

 

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea as what model/last these are. My google/styleforum searches have not yielded any exact matches so far. I came upon an older styleforum thread about JM Weston fakes but maybe I'm just paranoid...

 

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

post #26783 of 33127

Hi Guys,

 

Quick questions:

 

I want to buy some classic cardigan ( plain , simple and not too fanciful ). Any brands/design recommendation ?

 

Thank you

post #26784 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

To say that the other knots are NEVER useful is incorrect. The FIH and double FIH are definitely the most versatile, but the others (pratt etc) have their place.

In general, wider spread collars are best suited by a half or full Windsor.  For taller, skinny guys, this would be a great option as it reduces your vertical lines and makes you look broader.  Four in hand knots go better with a pointed, narrower spread collar, and would look best on guys who are shorter and or on the slightly heavier side, as it has the effect of reducing your horizontal lines.

post #26785 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
 

Can I wear this as a sports jacket, or should I try and sell the jacket on e-bay? The pants ripped at a wedding and can't be repaired.

 

 

Hi DeNomad,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but I'll give you my honest feedback.

 

Do not wear wear this as a sport coat.  Honestly, I would not wear it at all, even as a suit. 

 

Some general rules:

- Suit jackets do not work as sport coats (in most cases).

- Never button the bottom button of a jacket (or vest).  On a 3 button, the top button may be buttoned or left open. 

- Black (especially black with shiny stripes) odd jackets will have little to no use in a gentleman's wardrobe.  I'm not sure you will get much action on Ebay, but you can give it a shot.  I think Goodwill may be the best home for this jacket. 

Sorry man. 

 

Further unsolicited advice:

Notice how the top button on this suit is stressed and the suit lifts away from your chest?  It is too tight across the chest- Look into picking up a nice new suit or SC.  You have a good build and I think you would be much happier in a better looking, better fitting Sport Coat. 

There are many options for entry-level suits and sport coats.  You can peruse the forum and find some good counsel on where to start. 

 

Remember- fit is the most important thing. 

 

Cheers!

AG

post #26786 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenik View Post
 

I am considering this pair of Santoni's.  My first impression was that someone put a leather condom over the toes of the shoes (I did not want to ask why).

 

Since then, I keep looking at them and liking them.  My questions:

 

1.  How formal of an outfit could I wear these shoes with?  Suit and tie?  It is difficult to tell color on photos like this, but assuming the color looked good, could I wear it with a pin stripe blue or grey suit?

 

2.  Is there a name for this type of style?

 

 

Shoe pic (Click to show)

 

 

 

Thank you in advance.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

^ I think you should revisit your first impression... just make it 3 times worse.

 

It is a matter of personal taste, but I think you have a good enough eye- and your eye is telling you to question the useability of such a shoe.  If that weird wing-tip stuff wasn't under the captoe it would be fine, but as it is...I'd look for a better option.   

post #26787 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post
 

Hi DeNomad,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but I'll give you my honest feedback.

 

Do not wear wear this as a sport coat.  Honestly, I would not wear it at all, even as a suit. 

 

Some general rules:

- Suit jackets do not work as sport coats (in most cases).

- Never button the bottom button of a jacket (or vest).  On a 3 button, the top button may be buttoned or left open. 

- Black (especially black with shiny stripes) odd jackets will have little to no use in a gentleman's wardrobe.  I'm not sure you will get much action on Ebay, but you can give it a shot.  I think Goodwill may be the best home for this jacket. 

Sorry man. 

 

Further unsolicited advice:

Notice how the top button on this suit is stressed and the suit lifts away from your chest?  It is too tight across the chest- Look into picking up a nice new suit or SC.  You have a good build and I think you would be much happier in a better looking, better fitting Sport Coat. 

There are many options for entry-level suits and sport coats.  You can peruse the forum and find some good counsel on where to start. 

 

Remember- fit is the most important thing. 

 

Cheers!

AG

 

No worries AG (and everyone else). Thanks for the honest feedback. My new suit fits much better, this one being around 12 years old. I was mainly interested in trying to sell it as a sports coat on ebay, but I think it best to list as a suit jacket in that case. If it doesn't move it will be at the Salvation Army in the next few months.

 

I am looking into sports coats and perhaps a navy blazer. Lots of great information here.

post #26788 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post
 

 

 

 

It is a matter of personal taste, but I think you have a good enough eye- and your eye is telling you to question the useability of such a shoe.  If that weird wing-tip stuff wasn't under the captoe it would be fine, but as it is...I'd look for a better option.  

 

Thank you all for the comments.  I am going to pass on the shoes.  The insight was very helpful.

 

Cheers!

post #26789 of 33127

 

Do you think this pants can be let out at the waist?

 

I usually wear 30 (have to fasten the waist a little bit) but it isn't available so I have to opt for 28 or 32, the 32 is pretty loose obviously but it can be re-cut like 30 easily. The 28 seems to be good at every measurement because I'm thin except the waist.

 

If this waist can be let out, I would buy the 28.

post #26790 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post

No worries AG (and everyone else). Thanks for the honest feedback. My new suit fits much better, this one being around 12 years old. I was mainly interested in trying to sell it as a sports coat on ebay, but I think it best to list as a suit jacket in that case. If it doesn't move it will be at the Salvation Army in the next few months.

I am looking into sports coats and perhaps a navy blazer. Lots of great information here.

Definitely get the navy blazer. It's a must have in every man's wardrobe for good reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)