or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1764

post #26446 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mac View Post

I don't know if I should wear a long or short sleeve white cotton shirt or a white, blue, or yellow linen shirt with the sleeves rolled up.
I am hard pressed to think of any situation where short sleeve shirt and tie wins out over long sleeve shirt and tie. No, not even when it's really hot outside. (If it's that hot, what are you doing outside in a tie, in the first place? And really, in a jacket and tie, since if you're wearing a tie, you ought to be wearing a jacket, as well.)

This being SF, I've no doubt someone will opine that short sleeves with a tie can look good, and perhaps post a pic of some pop culture icon in short sleeves and tie. Nevertheless, it's not good, and you shouldn't do it.
Edited by 12345Michael54321 - 2/8/14 at 6:15pm
post #26447 of 30098

Does anyone know how much it would cost to ship a leather jacket from UK to Canada via the cheapest method (I'm assuming Royal Mail)?

post #26448 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mac View Post

What's up everyone. So, i just bought a seersucker tie. I don't own any other seersucker garment. I thought I could wear it with linen pants. I don't know if I should wear a long or short sleeve white cotton shirt or a white, blue, or yellow linen shirt with the sleeves rolled up. I have a off white, sand, olive and brown color linen pants. The tie is light, multi colored. Also, im not sure what kind of shoes or even sandals to wear. Im going to Mexico for a few days at the end of the month...i will be on the gulf..staying on the beach and wanted to break out the tie for a night. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

P.S. I don't know if it matters but, I'm a red head lol. Well, it's more like reddish-brown/auburn.

Wait one...... I hear no mention of a jacket.

I hope you're not planning to wear a tie without a jacket, or at least a sweater. That, to put it mildly, is not a good look. The only thing worse than a long sleeve shirt and tie with no jacket is a short sleeve shirt and tie with no jacket

Do you want to look like this guy?



I didn't think so.

Either take a SC/blazer or don't wear the tie. I would never wear a seersucker tie with any of other item of seersucker, btw. Probably would go well with a navy blazer or brown poplin SC, though
post #26449 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post

I hope you're not planning to wear a tie without a jacket, or at least a sweater. That, to put it mildly, is not a good look.
I tend to agree.

Although as a rule, if it's warm enough for seersucker, it's too warm for me to wear a sweater.
post #26450 of 30098

Good morning, chaps.

 

Any idea what colour best describes these Loake Jones shoes:

 


Edited by RPM1 - 2/8/14 at 9:55pm
post #26451 of 30098
post #26452 of 30098

Thanks for the response, Kid Nickels.

 

The reason I ask is because Herring Shoes describe them as tan, and there seems to be an orange tint to some images I have seen.

 

Should I take it that they should be considered brown and not tan, and therefore formal enough to be worn with any colour bar black. And as I am considering these instead of brown suede shoes, could these be more versatile?

post #26453 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1 View Post

Thanks for the response, Kid Nickels.

The reason I ask is because Herring Shoes describe them as tan, and there seems to be an orange tint to some images I have seen.

Should I take it that they should be considered brown and not tan, and therefore formal enough to be worn with any colour bar black. And as I am considering these instead of brown suede shoes, could these be more versatile?

hey no worries... obviously I was just joking a little but I do know what you mean. I have a pair of Alden's that are too dark to be tan and too light to be brown and they have that little bit of orange hue to them. If I got all arty-farty I would say it's kind of a burnt sienna tone that would go well with navy and some greys. Surely they would be more versatile function-wise, but I have also experienced that mine can be a bit hard to pair up aesthetics-wise because of that orangish hue.. Hope that helps and thanks for taking the joke well! smile.gif
post #26454 of 30098
Reasons to wear short sleeves and a tie.

1) You work for NASA, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, etc.

2) You sell washing machines at a discount retailer.

J
post #26455 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post


hey no worries... obviously I was just joking a little but I do know what you mean. I have a pair of Alden's that are too dark to be tan and too light to be brown and they have that little bit of orange hue to them. If I got all arty-farty I would say it's kind of a burnt sienna tone that would go well with navy and some greys. Surely they would be more versatile function-wise, but I have also experienced that mine can be a bit hard to pair up aesthetics-wise because of that orangish hue.. Hope that helps and thanks for taking the joke well! smile.gif

 

Well, they are intended for more casual use, so the aesthetics will likely be less of an issue. And, as I live in the UK, I imagine being oxfords will not get in the way of how dressed down I am when wearing these. However, having recently expanded my wardrobe with various woollen trousers, I am particularly looking forward to pairing these with charcoal herringbones, charcoal flannels and medium grey flannels.

 

Also, having considered J011yroger's comments from yesterday, and as I would prefer to move towards more formal attire, I imagine these will likely provide much greater use and versatility than brown suede. For now, I will have to move the suede further down the list.

 

p.s.

 

That reminds me:

 

 

In the UK, there is a recent tradition of brown suede being worn with relatively formal attire.


Edited by RPM1 - 2/9/14 at 3:19am
post #26456 of 30098

I've got a wedding coming up and I was going to wear a grey suit (it's a bit on the lighter side) with dark brown shoes and a light blue shirt. I currently have a red tie I've not worn yet, but I'm not convinced it'll work. This is it with my pocket squares http://i.imgur.com/tjZIRcs.jpg which look a bit too warm due to shoddy lighting (the flash made it worse). Do you think any of these would work?

 

If not, I've been thinking of ordering some more ties and pocket squares through thetiebar.com (not the best I know, but as I don't wear them often they should be ok). I've been looking at some which I believe will all work with a pale blue shirt (and a variety of others for future occasions). They are a navy knitted, a chocolate brown knitted, a dark purple tie with white pindots and these two http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=23139 and http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=34696 would this be a decent collection? Thanks in advance.

post #26457 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1 View Post

Well, they are intended for more casual use, so the aesthetics will likely be less of an issue. And, as I live in the UK, I imagine being oxfords will not get in the way of how dressed down I am when wearing these. However, having recently expanded my wardrobe with various woollen trousers, I am particularly looking forward to pairing these with charcoal herringbones, charcoal flannels and medium grey flannels.

Also, having considered J011yroger's comments from yesterday, and as I would prefer to move towards more formal attire, I imagine these will likely provide much greater use and versatility than brown suede. For now, I will have to move the suede further down the list.

p.s.

That reminds me:




In the UK, there is a recent tradition of brown suede being worn with relatively formal attire.

I wonder if he knows they make those clothes in his size.

Although I doubt that the fact that an auto mechanic thinks his clothes are too big is keeping him up at night.

J
post #26458 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post

I've got a wedding coming up and I was going to wear a grey suit (it's a bit on the lighter side) with dark brown shoes and a light blue shirt. I currently have a red tie I've not worn yet, but I'm not convinced it'll work. This is it with my pocket squares http://i.imgur.com/tjZIRcs.jpg which look a bit too warm due to shoddy lighting (the flash made it worse). Do you think any of these would work?

If not, I've been thinking of ordering some more ties and pocket squares through thetiebar.com (not the best I know, but as I don't wear them often they should be ok). I've been looking at some which I believe will all work with a pale blue shirt (and a variety of others for future occasions). They are a navy knitted, a chocolate brown knitted, a dark purple tie with white pindots and these two http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=23139 and http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=34696 would this be a decent collection? Thanks in advance.

Chocolate or navy would work and I think the grenafauxs from tie bar are inexspensive and serviceable. And the ones I have give good knots and dimples.
post #26459 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

hey no worries... obviously I was just joking a little but I do know what you mean. I have a pair of Alden's that are too dark to be tan and too light to be brown and they have that little bit of orange hue to them. If I got all arty-farty I would say it's kind of a burnt sienna tone that would go well with navy and some greys. Surely they would be more versatile function-wise, but I have also experienced that mine can be a bit hard to pair up aesthetics-wise because of that orangish hue.. Hope that helps and thanks for taking the joke well! smile.gif

Well, they are intended for more casual use, so the aesthetics will likely be less of an issue. And, as I live in the UK, I imagine being oxfords will not get in the way of how dressed down I am when wearing these. However, having recently expanded my wardrobe with various woollen trousers, I am particularly looking forward to pairing these with charcoal herringbones, charcoal flannels and medium grey flannels.

Also, having considered J011yroger's comments from yesterday, and as I would prefer to move towards more formal attire, I imagine these will likely provide much greater use and versatility than brown suede. For now, I will have to move the suede further down the list.

p.s.

That reminds me:



In the UK, there is a recent tradition of brown suede being worn with relatively formal attire.

That tradition was started by that guy's great great uncle some time before the last war-

post #26460 of 30098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post

I've got a wedding coming up and I was going to wear a grey suit (it's a bit on the lighter side) with dark brown shoes and a light blue shirt. I currently have a red tie I've not worn yet, but I'm not convinced it'll work. This is it with my pocket squares http://i.imgur.com/tjZIRcs.jpg which look a bit too warm due to shoddy lighting (the flash made it worse). Do you think any of these would work?

If not, I've been thinking of ordering some more ties and pocket squares through thetiebar.com (not the best I know, but as I don't wear them often they should be ok). I've been looking at some which I believe will all work with a pale blue shirt (and a variety of others for future occasions). They are a navy knitted, a chocolate brown knitted, a dark purple tie with white pindots and these two http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=23139 and http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=34696 would this be a decent collection? Thanks in advance.

Consider black shoes and a wedding tie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)