or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1745

post #26161 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1 View Post
 

 

They finally arrived today. I am still not entirely sure where they were made but here's an image of the sole:

 

 

 

The Indian-made ones are usually labeled "L1" on the inside.  The Loake "Shoemaker" are, as far as I know, the cheapest of the English-made ranges.  But the absence of "Made in England", which normally appears under "Shoemaker", makes me wonder if they've blurred the two now.  Anyway, they're pretty cheap and even the Indian ones (I have one myself, as well as English Loakes I've worn for years) are solid, and on the same lasts using the same uppers as the English-made equivalents.

post #26162 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post

Depends. Are you wearing it while washing your car? Going to the dentist? Testifying before Congress?

lol, actually i meant to post it on the streetwear forum. but anyway, it's for going to the grocery store or maybe even having a lunch in a cafe.
post #26163 of 33197
@jungleroller, wear them with a chunky sweater or a navy blazer.
post #26164 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean anon View Post

Looking at some unstructured neopolitian sportcoats

I normally don't consider 3 button jackets and am not sure how to wear this. Is it like a 3/2 roll or do you button the top on these?

Also the wardrobe I am building is more Anglo American. Does a jacket like this make sense with wingtips and OCBDs (I realize 90% of people would have no idea)

Here is an example

http://www.yoox.com/us/41358916KV/item?dept=clothingmen#sts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=41358916KV&sizeId=


That is most likely a 3/2 and not meant for the top button to be fastened.  My personal feeling is that the more casual nature of this type of coat makes it a good compliment to more casual shirts and shoes.  However, if the jacket features too narrow or short a cut it won't look good with chunky shoes. 

post #26165 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan138zig View Post


lol, actually i meant to post it on the streetwear forum. but anyway, it's for going to the grocery store or maybe even having a lunch in a cafe.

 

From a Classic Menswear point of view, I would say it is suitable for pyjamas or exercise.  Possibly the beach, if it's mostly going to be screwed up next to your towel.  

 

I rank logo T-shirts one rank below denim in the CM versatility table.  But then logos and labels in general I find desperately ridiculous on human beings.

post #26166 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post

Would this SC (left) go with the trousers (right) both houndstooth?  SC has light blue window pane running through it.  Or is that too pattern matchy?

Burns my eyes!

Close but not exactly is the worst. It would be like wearing the pants from one navy pinstripe suit with the jacket from a different navy pinstripe suit which had a slightly different color and stripe spacing.

J
post #26167 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean anon View Post

Looking at some unstructured neopolitian sportcoats

I normally don't consider 3 button jackets and am not sure how to wear this. Is it like a 3/2 roll or do you button the top on these?

Also the wardrobe I am building is more Anglo American. Does a jacket like this make sense with wingtips and OCBDs (I realize 90% of people would have no idea)

Here is an example

http://www.yoox.com/us/41358916KV/item?dept=clothingmen#sts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=41358916KV&sizeId=

I wouldn't. I think the jacket is way too city/modern for an ocbd.

Just the gray shade, and the bit of shine on it will clash.

Really I'll only wear an ocbd with tweed or a brass button blazer.

J
post #26168 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post

I wouldn't. I think the jacket is way too city/modern for an ocbd.

Just the gray shade, and the bit of shine on it will clash.

Really I'll only wear an ocbd with tweed or a brass button blazer.

J


When I consider the modern cut I wonder how versitile this would be in glen plaid? There is some brown plaids as well. This is a strong juxtaposition of styles

Really people where I live people don't dress up much and I thought something deconstructed like this jacket would be nice for casual dinners out but I want everything I own to be versitile
post #26169 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean anon View Post

When I consider the modern cut I wonder how versitile this would be in glen plaid? There is some brown plaids as well. This is a strong juxtaposition of styles

Really people where I live people don't dress up much and I thought something deconstructed like this jacket would be nice for casual dinners out but I want everything I own to be versitile

When I see that I just picture a city dwelling man between 30 and 60 wearing it over a black turtleneck with jeans and Chelsea boots, and that just isn't my style, at all.

There are plenty of nice versatile jackets out there, that just isn't one of them.

J
post #26170 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post

Great, that makes a lot of sense. So if I must specify a shoe with closed laces the only term is balmoral, which 99.8% of the population will never have heard.

Really it depends on who you are talking to. If you were talking to me I would correct you and tell you that not all closed laced shoes are balmorals. You're probably better off using closed laced shoes, that way you avoid being wrong and stop the spread of the incorrect usage of balmoral.
post #26171 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post

Thanks for the input.  I got the trousers for christmas and I'm trying to figure out what to wear them with.  cheers.gif

Solid SC all the way.
post #26172 of 33197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post

Really it depends on who you are talking to. If you were talking to me I would correct you and tell you that not all closed laced shoes are balmorals. You're probably better off using closed laced shoes, that way you avoid being wrong and stop the spread of the incorrect usage of balmoral.

Well, what exactly is a balmoral then?

J
post #26173 of 33197
An Oxford. It's colloquial, like soda instead of pop
post #26174 of 33197
To be iGent safe, I would refer to shoes as either open-laced or close-laced...
post #26175 of 33197
My head hurts, I'm going home.

J
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)