or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1699

post #25471 of 30494

Problems with this blazer:

-too wide in the waist

-armhole is too low

-arms too short

-needs about an inch more length

 

Correct, or am I off?

post #25472 of 30494
To my eye it is more than an inch too short.
post #25473 of 30494

I recently bought a pair of shoes (dark brown calf leather, leather soles) that I intend to use solely for nights out. The idea is that this will give my other shoes a chance to last longer, as they will not suffer from being drenched in alcoholic beverages, etc. 

 

Having said that, I would still like for these shoes to look good for as long as possible, and thus, I now need some advice on how to care for these shoes. For my other shoes I use something called "leather balsam" every now and then, and also this stuff whenever the shoes begin to look a bit scuffed. Is there anything else I can do for shoes that will take some heavy beatings? Maybe some kind of repellent? 

 

Many thanks,

post #25474 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatre View Post
 

I recently bought a pair of shoes (dark brown calf leather, leather soles) that I intend to use solely for nights out. The idea is that this will give my other shoes a chance to last longer, as they will not suffer from being drenched in alcoholic beverages, etc. 

 

Having said that, I would still like for these shoes to look good for as long as possible, and thus, I now need some advice on how to care for these shoes. For my other shoes I use something called "leather balsam" every now and then, and also this stuff whenever the shoes begin to look a bit scuffed. Is there anything else I can do for shoes that will take some heavy beatings? Maybe some kind of repellent? 

 

Many thanks,

 

Try here:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #25475 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatre View Post

I recently bought a pair of shoes (dark brown calf leather, leather soles) that I intend to use solely for nights out. The idea is that this will give my other shoes a chance to last longer, as they will not suffer from being drenched in alcoholic beverages, etc. 
If going out involves wading through pools of liquor, you've more significant issues to address than how best to maintain your footwear.
post #25476 of 30494
Any recommendations for mid-range suspenders/braces (under $50)? Used would be OK. I have checked eBay and it's pretty barren.
post #25477 of 30494
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

Try here:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

I did try that thread first, but no luck. That is why i tried cross-posting here. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


If going out involves wading through pools of liquor, you've more significant issues to address than how best to maintain your footwear.

Maybe so, but nevertheless, those hypothetical issues do not relate to the topic of this thread ;). Any advice regarding the shoes?

post #25478 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatre View Post
 

I recently bought a pair of shoes (dark brown calf leather, leather soles) that I intend to use solely for nights out. The idea is that this will give my other shoes a chance to last longer, as they will not suffer from being drenched in alcoholic beverages, etc. 

 

Having said that, I would still like for these shoes to look good for as long as possible, and thus, I now need some advice on how to care for these shoes. For my other shoes I use something called "leather balsam" every now and then, and also this stuff whenever the shoes begin to look a bit scuffed. Is there anything else I can do for shoes that will take some heavy beatings? Maybe some kind of repellent? 

 

Many thanks,

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


If going out involves wading through pools of liquor, you've more significant issues to address than how best to maintain your footwear.


Funny Michael- I was thinking the same thing.

 

Chatre-

Shoe Polish. 

A well cared for and polished calf shoe should be able to stand up to a significant amount of partying.  Just pop the trees back in when you get home, let them dry naturally, brush them out and reapply your polish.  Building up a good multi-layer shine will protect your shoes from just about anything short of complete submersion or prolonged exposure. 

post #25479 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post
 

 

 


Funny Michael- I was thinking the same thing.

 

Chatre-

Shoe Polish. 

A well cared for and polished calf shoe should be able to stand up to a significant amount of partying.  Just pop the trees back in when you get home, let them dry naturally, brush them out and reapply your polish.  Building up a good multi-layer shine will protect your shoes from just about anything short of complete submersion or prolonged exposure. 

Ok thanks. Is this the type of product I am looking for? Also, should I use polish on the whole shoe, or just on the toe cap?

post #25480 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatre View Post
 

I did try that thread first, but no luck. That is why i tried cross-posting here. 

 

 

I wasn't suggesting that you post your question there.  I meant that that thread will have the answer.  You should check it out.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #25481 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatre View Post
 

Ok thanks. Is this the type of product I am looking for? Also, should I use polish on the whole shoe, or just on the toe cap?


Well, Kiwi is the most available brand in the US.  It has a higher wax content so if you are looking for a shine then perhaps brown Kiwi will do the trick.  Their colors are pretty basic, but even using neutral polish will build layers on the shoe and keep it protected from the elements, including the occasional booze shower. 

 

Yes, polish the whole shoe- if you like a high gloss look you can focus on the toe with a cotton flannel cloth and some spit.  The spit (or cold water) will create heat from friction as you buff vigorously and essentially melts the wax a little and fills the pores or the leather.  The added benefit of a shine is that the wax will also repel liquid- to a certain extent. 

 

Other shoe polishes like Allen Edmonds' brand and of course Saphir will also do the trick.  In the military we use Kiwi because #1 it's all we have, and #2 it gives us the best shot at a high-gloss shine.  We also will sometimes use a lighter and lightly and quickly melt the polish a little- then cold water and buff.  There are lots of videos on how to bull up your shoes on You Tube if that is your desire.  But for healthy shoes that will make it through your party years Kiwi will be fine. 

 

Cedar shoe trees, a horsehair brush and some polish.  That should be all you need.

post #25482 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontilado View Post
 

I ordered a shirt online with following measures for the waist:

front waist width: 17.75"

back waist width: 15.75"

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The shirt arrived with

 

front waist width: 43 cm ~16.9"

 

 

 

back waist width: 41cm ~16.1"

 

 

So total waist about 33.0".

Unfortunately too small for me.

 

I contacted the manufacturer and got replied that this is normal as "(17.75"+15.75")/2= 16.75" on average. Thus front waist would always be 16.75".

For me this doesn't make any sense for several reasons and sounds like an excuse not to remake the shirt. But could you please give advice on this matter?

 

Thanks alot.

 

Could anyone give advice?

post #25483 of 30494
I don't understand how the measurement would be different for the front and back. You are measuring across the waist, so if you wanted 33.5, then to me the waist measurement should have been 16.75 x 2 = 33.5.
post #25484 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post


Well, Kiwi is the most available brand in the US.  It has a higher wax content so if you are looking for a shine then perhaps brown Kiwi will do the trick.  Their colors are pretty basic, but even using neutral polish will build layers on the shoe and keep it protected from the elements, including the occasional booze shower. 

Yes, polish the whole shoe- if you like a high gloss look you can focus on the toe with a cotton flannel cloth and some spit.  The spit (or cold water) will create heat from friction as you buff vigorously and essentially melts the wax a little and fills the pores or the leather.  The added benefit of a shine is that the wax will also repel liquid- to a certain extent. 

Other shoe polishes like Allen Edmonds' brand and of course Saphir will also do the trick.  In the military we use Kiwi because #1 it's all we have, and #2 it gives us the best shot at a high-gloss shine.  We also will sometimes use a lighter and lightly and quickly melt the polish a little- then cold water and buff.  There are lots of videos on how to bull up your shoes on You Tube if that is your desire.  But for healthy shoes that will make it through your party years Kiwi will be fine. 

Cedar shoe trees, a horsehair brush and some polish.  That should be all you need.

The other posters were right, Chatre should have reviewed all of the information in the shoe care thread, all of this info is in there.. To the advice you provided I would note that the wax should be used very lightly on areas where the shoe creases as it will crack when the shoe is being worn normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Miler View Post

I don't understand how the measurement would be different for the front and back. You are measuring across the waist, so if you wanted 33.5, then to me the waist measurement should have been 16.75 x 2 = 33.5.

I'm assuming there is a seam and that is what he is measuring to. Otherwise if that is not the case, I am not sure how it could be different from the front and back.
post #25485 of 30494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


The other posters were right, Chatre should have reviewed all of the information in the shoe care thread, all of this info is in there.. To the advice you provided I would note that the wax should be used very lightly on areas where the shoe creases as it will crack when the shoe is being worn normally.
I'm assuming there is a seam and that is what he is measuring to. Otherwise if that is not the case, I am not sure how it could be different from the front and back.

There are loads of other shoe care bits to learn and employ- but to answer the OPs question on how to make a average pair of shoes bulletproof- some basic polish should do the trick.  Of course there are repellants and other methods- mink oil, etc, but I'm not a huge fan of these products and what they can do to finer shoes.   Booze galoshes might be ok with some mink oil I guess. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)