or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1693

post #25381 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimanchower View Post

What sort of tie knot best compliments a OCBD shirt with a large collar roll? The tie I have in mind is smooth silk and fairly heavy.

 

A four in hand knot. And it's "complements," not "compliments." Although if you tie the correct knot you should receive "compliments" for how dashing you look.

post #25382 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocyte View Post
 

 

 

Your point is a good one, indeed. But the quality and construction of a clothing are not quite as arbitrary as sticking a label on a potato sack. Perhaps I should have left the brand name out of my question and only mentioned the objective details of construction. Quality/construction aren't the only thing, of course, and that is why I asked the question! 

 

True.  Let me put it another way: no, it's hideous.

 

 

:)

post #25383 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by loarbmhs View Post

A four in hand knot. And it's "complements," not "compliments." Although if you tie the correct knot you should receive "compliments" for how dashing you look.

Wow, I wonder how many times I've misused that word in print over the years. A sincere "thanks!"
post #25384 of 33127
I have this zegna tie I thrifted and I'm gifting it to a friend as a joke. There's no faking way I'd ever wear it out of the house. Or even in the house for that matter.

But zegna!

post #25385 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimanchower View Post


Wow, I wonder how many times I've misused that word in print over the years. A sincere "thanks!"

My pleasure. And thanks for being such a good sport about it!

post #25386 of 33127
Any reason not to use orphaned suit pants? I got a nasty tear in my favorite jacket and its basically gone. Pants are great comfy charcoal trousers, any good reason not to keep them?
post #25387 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Carothers View Post

So I have a 3 piece light grey suit that I love, and the color is perfect to go with medium brown shoes...But if i were to pair the suit with a white shirt and black tie, would the brown shoes and belt remain appropriate? 

Yes they would.
post #25388 of 33127
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted here, and I was hoping to get some feedback on some jacket fit pics. Normally, I'm a 16 inch shoulder, but I got some jackets that are pushing the 17 and 18 inch mark, and I was hoping to get some opinions on them.

To me, the DB's shoulders are obviously too big, but I feel like the two tweed jackets fit well (although I may be mis-attributing this fit to the construction of the suits). What do you guys think?

DB:


Gray Tweed (1):


Green Tweed (2):


Apologies for the washed-out pictures; these were taken early in the morning.
post #25389 of 33127
It might be me, but the silhouette of the last two jackets looks a bit funny to me because there's just SO MUCH waist suppression relative to the shoulders. It makes it look like something is off because there's so much empty space inside where your lats should be.

The DB actually looks the best to me. Shockingly.
post #25390 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted here, and I was hoping to get some feedback on some jacket fit pics. Normally, I'm a 16 inch shoulder, but I got some jackets that are pushing the 17 and 18 inch mark, and I was hoping to get some opinions on them.

To me, the DB's shoulders are obviously too big, but I feel like the two tweed jackets fit well (although I may be mis-attributing this fit to the construction of the suits). What do you guys think?

DB:


Gray Tweed (1):


Green Tweed (2):


Apologies for the washed-out pictures; these were taken early in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

It might be me, but the silhouette of the last two jackets looks a bit funny to me because there's just SO MUCH waist suppression relative to the shoulders. It makes it look like something is off because there's so much empty space inside where your lats should be.

The DB actually looks the best to me. Shockingly.

Yeah, I think you definitely said what I was trying to put into words. Would a shoulder reduction make the silhouette appear more normal on all three jackets?
post #25391 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainnerd View Post

Any reason not to use orphaned suit pants? I got a nasty tear in my favorite jacket and its basically gone. Pants are great comfy charcoal trousers
No reason not to wear them.
post #25392 of 33127

Anyone have experience with Brunello Cucinelli outerwear sizing? Looking to snag a peacoat for cheap in size 36, but I'm a pretty meager 36, so I don't want to spend money on something that'll be way too big. 

post #25393 of 33127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

It might be me, but the silhouette of the last two jackets looks a bit funny to me because there's just SO MUCH waist suppression relative to the shoulders. It makes it look like something is off because there's so much empty space inside where your lats should be.

The DB actually looks the best to me. Shockingly.

Yeah, I think you definitely said what I was trying to put into words. Would a shoulder reduction make the silhouette appear more normal on all three jackets?

 

My disorganised thoughts:

- Don't touch the shoulders on any of the jackets, because it's a world of pain for both your wallet and the tailor for unknown results.

- The DB's shoulders are the widest of them all, and it's striped.  They're not comically wide, though, and should be tolerable.  The stripes are a bigger problem; you can only pair the jacket with plain light-coloured trousers as you're doing now.  If you're okay with that then you should keep it.

- The shoulders on the other two jackets look fine, but the chest on those jackets is too small for you and the lapels are bowing out.  It's a bad look exaggerated by the waist suppression.

- The straight lines of the inside edge of the DB's lapel are really good.

- The second jacket is too short in both length and sleeve.
- You'll never fit the two tweeds, pass them on.  You might grow to fit the shoulders of the DB, keep it.

- Any tags on the inside of the DB?  What's the lining like?

post #25394 of 33127

Gentlemen, I had a quick three-part question regarding tuxedos and figured here is the place to ask it.  I recently bought a tux from Indochino (not my first Indochino product, and if anyone was wondering, I've had great success with their product) and thankfully combined with a small touch from my tailor it fits great.  

However, I had a few questions about the tux itself:


1) The collar of the jacket is satin as well.  I was under the impression that only the lapel is supposed to be satin, thus differentiating the lapel from the collar.  I was wondering if any of you knows whether it doesn't matter or whether it is customary to have only the lapel be satin.

 
2) The peak lapels that I ordered seem to be rounded.  Based on what I had seen on other jackets, I ordered peak lapels under the impression that they generally have a rather pointy edge to them.  I was wondering if this is just another style of peak lapel or it was made improperly.  My tailor seems to think that rounding out the tip of the lapel may be necessary due to the construction of the lapel with satin.  If any of you know, I’m quite curious.
 
3) There is no buttonhole on the lapel of the jacket.  I’m under the impression that it doesn’t really matter, but I can also imagine many traditionalists feeling like not having the buttonhole means the jacket is sorely lacking.  
 
I was curious to see your guys input on these three questions, thanks for the consideration.  Happy first post to me.
post #25395 of 33127
1. The collar should be self faced, not satin.
2. Just looked, and my dinner jacket has somewhat rounded peaks as well. Really depends on how rounded off they are, ancient whether they look silly.
3. Doesn't matter, though if you want to wear a boutonniere, have your tailor add a functioning button hole with loop on the back of the lapel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)