or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1688

post #25306 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 


Those are baller! Deetz?

Believe it or not they're from Topman. 

 

I'm unsure of the quality of their shoes but $100 is a steal. 

post #25307 of 33184
I just realized that the sole and construction is meh. Cool uppers though!
post #25308 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjangoV View Post
 

Based on above markers, the following jacket might be an odd jacket: thicker, fuzzy fabric and windowpane pattern. I am still not entirely sure though (still strikes me as a possible orphan). I do however feel that, even if this might be an orphan, it is not too obvious and therefore can be worn as an odd jacket. Anyone care to chip in his 2 cents?

 

PS: Sorry for the repetitive questions on odd jackets. I still find it hard to see the difference on lots of occasions

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjangoV View Post
 

Based on above markers, the following jacket might be an odd jacket: thicker, fuzzy fabric and windowpane pattern. I am still not entirely sure though (still strikes me as a possible orphan). I do however feel that, even if this might be an orphan, it is not too obvious and therefore can be worn as an odd jacket. Anyone care to chip in his 2 cents?

 

PS: Sorry for the repetitive questions on odd jackets. I still find it hard to see the difference on lots of occasions

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjangoV View Post
 

Based on above markers, the following jacket might be an odd jacket: thicker, fuzzy fabric and windowpane pattern. I am still not entirely sure though (still strikes me as a possible orphan). I do however feel that, even if this might be an orphan, it is not too obvious and therefore can be worn as an odd jacket. Anyone care to chip in his 2 cents?

 

PS: Sorry for the repetitive questions on odd jackets. I still find it hard to see the difference on lots of occasions

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjangoV View Post
 

Based on above markers, the following jacket might be an odd jacket: thicker, fuzzy fabric and windowpane pattern. I am still not entirely sure though (still strikes me as a possible orphan). I do however feel that, even if this might be an orphan, it is not too obvious and therefore can be worn as an odd jacket. Anyone care to chip in his 2 cents?

 

PS: Sorry for the repetitive questions on odd jackets. I still find it hard to see the difference on lots of occasions

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

:nodding:

Given the boldness of the pattern, I can't imagine that this was ever a suit. I think you're safe wearing it as an add jacket. My one caveat: the button stance is awfully high, even if you just button the middle of the three. So take care that if you do that, the coat doesn't look too "pinched" at the top. Generally, it's more flattering to show some more shirt/tie than the space on this coat will allow.

post #25309 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by loarbmhs View Post

My one caveat: the button stance is awfully high, even if you just button the middle of the three. So take care that if you do that, the coat doesn't look too "pinched" at the top. Generally, it's more flattering to show some more shirt/tie than the space on this coat will allow.
Another way of looking at it is that the high button stance will show relatively little shirt, thus making it the ideal jacket for wearing with a bow tie.
post #25310 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by loarbmhs View Post
 

 

 

 

 

My one caveat: the button stance is awfully high, even if you just button the middle of the three. So take care that if you do that, the coat doesn't look too "pinched" at the top. Generally, it's more flattering to show some more shirt/tie than the space on this coat will allow.

This actually had me wondering last night. Think I'll have to pass, although I really like the overall look and feel of the jacket (fits like a glove and nice thick & soft wool). Just not sure on whether I could pull this high button off or what to pair it with. Better to get my basics together first I guess.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


Another way of looking at it is that the high button stance will show relatively little shirt, thus making it the ideal jacket for wearing with a bow tie.

I totally agree with you and can envision very nice outfits like that. Currently I don't think I feel comfortable enough to wear such a combination however (bow ties are seldom worn in the Netherlands and are mostly viewed upon as being totally outdated).

post #25311 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFuture View Post
 

Transitioning into more business suit attire, navy and grey suits. 
I've been doing a lot of research into each shoe.  
 
Grenson Stanley Brogue in Tan (aware it's made in India) is on sale for $200.
Allen Edmonds Strands in Walnut is nice too.
 
Which should I go for?  Any other choices?
I don't need the best, just a good starter dress shoe that is versatile, more than decent quality and that won't break the bank.

I would say Strands aren't formal enough for business attire, but it depends on how conservative the place at which you work is. Walnut is also quite light. Bourbon, chili, or merlot/oxblood would be better. I second the guy who said go for AE. I have a few pairs. Worth the money, don't buy shit worse than it just cause it saves you $50-100.

post #25312 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheModernGent View Post
 

Believe it or not they're from Topman. 

 

I'm unsure of the quality of their shoes but $100 is a steal. 

 

No, it isn't.  It's a piece of shit for $100.

 

If $100 is the budget, try the Allen Edmonds shoe bank for things in your size.  Alternatively, Indian-made Loakes are about $160, and a bit more sturdy.

 

But this is a glued-together piece of crap that will be no different whether you pay $20 or $200.

post #25313 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjangoV View Post
 

This actually had me wondering last night. Think I'll have to pass, although I really like the overall look and feel of the jacket (fits like a glove and nice thick & soft wool). Just not sure on whether I could pull this high button off or what to pair it with. Better to get my basics together first I guess.

 

I totally agree with you and can envision very nice outfits like that. Currently I don't think I feel comfortable enough to wear such a combination however (bow ties are seldom worn in the Netherlands and are mostly viewed upon as being totally outdated).

 

Being totally outdated is just one of the perks of being better-dressed than everyone else.  It's not always a bad thing to be different.

 

Anyway, a three button will always have a smaller piece of shirt real estate on show, that's kind of the point.  But the other plus to that is that, unlike a two button or worse (never do it!), a DB, it looks good when completely  undone.  The longer vertical lines of the two sides are flattering.  I'd say wear a slightly narrower wool tie, a contrasting pocket square, and rock the hell out of it.

post #25314 of 33184

Ignore


Edited by David23 - 12/19/13 at 5:23am
post #25315 of 33184

lets say i had a 1cm diagonal cut (~10 degrees from vertical) across a pair of cotton pants in this pinstripe pattern, cutting across several columns. how would a competent tailor fix this? would they just pucker the cut inwards and sew that together? or would they use a patch of similar fabric overtop?

 

post #25316 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

No, it isn't.  It's a piece of shit for $100.

 

If $100 is the budget, try the Allen Edmonds shoe bank for things in your size.  Alternatively, Indian-made Loakes are about $160, and a bit more sturdy.

 

But this is a glued-together piece of crap that will be no different whether you pay $20 or $200.

 

Yeah I realized that when I saw the picture on my computer instead of on the phone.

post #25317 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

Being totally outdated is just one of the perks of being better-dressed than everyone else.  It's not always a bad thing to be different.

 

Anyway, a three button will always have a smaller piece of shirt real estate on show, that's kind of the point.  But the other plus to that is that, unlike a two button or worse (never do it!), a DB, it looks good when completely  undone.  The longer vertical lines of the two sides are flattering.  I'd say wear a slightly narrower wool tie, a contrasting pocket square, and rock the hell out of it.


Listen to this man. There is nothing wrong with a 3 button, especially if it's 3 roll 2. And if you find a piece you like that fits well at a good price, you'll figure out ways to wear it if you have it.

post #25318 of 33184
Which regimental do you prefer? I like the colors on these but not sure on which scale stripe is better looking

@Claghorn
@in stitches
@Jr Mouse
@othertravel
@Betelgeuse
@MyOtherLife


Regimental-16-b.jpgRegimental-43-b.jpg
post #25319 of 33184
i prefer smaller stripe on that. smile.gif
post #25320 of 33184
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i prefer smaller stripe on that. smile.gif

Damnit! I like that one too. That silk is sold out on Sam Hober and they're not sure if they'll reweave it. I let it stay on my wishlist too long.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)