or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1645

post #24661 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


"Business casual" is one of those terms which takes in an awful lot of ground. It can mean anything from "your jeans should be reasonably clean" to "a pale blue shirt and/or a conservative sport coat may be substituted for the standard white shirt and grey or navy suit."

Is it common and accepted practice for the people in your business casual workplace to wear chinos? If so, then I'd say chinos are appropriate for your office's version of business casual.


Yeah, our workplace is pretty flexible. You can come in wearing a suit if you want everyday, or you can opt to wear chinos + dress shirt. Really, the only time it's mandatory for us to wear a suit is when we have clients coming over. So I guess I sort of answered my own question. I think I was more confused on the difference of chinos or khakis like some posted here. I just started hearing the word "chinos" a few years ago, and it was by celebrities who would wear them in weird colors.

 

I personally like to alternate depending on my mood (and how late I'm running).

post #24662 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post


Yeah, our workplace is pretty flexible. You can come in wearing a suit if you want everyday, or you can opt to wear chinos + dress shirt. Really, the only time it's mandatory for us to wear a suit is when we have clients coming over. So I guess I sort of answered my own question. I think I was more confused on the difference of chinos or khakis like some posted here. I just started hearing the word "chinos" a few years ago, and it was by celebrities who would wear them in weird colors.

I personally like to alternate depending on my mood (and how late I'm running).

My office is much the same. I am the only one in the office that wears a suit everyday, while our CEO is a dress shirt and blazer guy. They have mentioned that. I don't have to wear a suit and I respond, "my suit reminds me that I am here to work, to close deals and set the example for my team." From day to day I could be at my desk or sitting down with a doctor or a CEO of a health system. In my opinion my suit reflects the amount of respect I have for them.

Regarding button down shirts. I would never wear one with a suit and tie, and while I rarely wear a suit without a tie...I could justify a button up dress shirt if I was without a tie.
post #24663 of 33020

One more question! I've had a 100 dollar Express Gift Card sitting in my wallet for quite some time. Personally, I've tried some of their suit pants and am not a huge fan. They just feel...cheap. Anything you guys would recommend?

post #24664 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post
 

 

Dressing well is not a function of how formal you are. Don't confuse dressing well with dressing up.

 

If I go to the bar to catch some football, and I am wearing jeans, boots, and a plaid shirt, I am still dressed well, and I am dressed better than the ex-frat boys in suits who sell credit card processing services.

 

So within the realm of formality, you can still dress well. If a jacket and tie is too much, then trousers, nice shoes, and a shirt with maybe the cuffs turned up would be a well dressed alternative. If your boss is wearing a golf shirt, I am surely not advocating turning up in a three piece navy pinstripe suit, but I wouldn't dress like a bum just because my bosses looked like ragamuffins. If my golf shirt, pants, and shoes look nicer, and fit better than theirs, that is their problem. And honestly if they don't look good, they probably won't notice that you do, as long as you aren't the only one wearing a suit.

 

J


Nail, meet hammer. Hammer, meet nail.


Completely agree with you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post
 

One more question! I've had a 100 dollar Express Gift Card sitting in my wallet for quite some time. Personally, I've tried some of their suit pants and am not a huge fan. They just feel...cheap. Anything you guys would recommend?


I actually like some of their dress shirts, but if nothing else you can get socks. I like their socks.

If even that doesn't work for you, then I'll have you know that I'm not beyond accepting donations :p

post #24665 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post
 

One more question! I've had a 100 dollar Express Gift Card sitting in my wallet for quite some time. Personally, I've tried some of their suit pants and am not a huge fan. They just feel...cheap. Anything you guys would recommend?

 

Accessory type things? If you can find some scarves, socks, whatever that you like the look of or that fill a need.

 

Their clothes have always looked to me like they would fall apart after a few wearings/washings. And they tend to have that cheap cloth shine to them, that "I sell wireless phones in the mall" shine.

 

J

post #24666 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post
 

 

Accessory type things? If you can find some scarves, socks, whatever that you like the look of or that fill a need.

 

Their clothes have always looked to me like they would fall apart after a few wearings/washings. And they tend to have that cheap cloth shine to them, that "I sell wireless phones in the mall" shine.

 

J

I agree. Their shirts and pants come off feeling really cheap and crappy. And I also agree on the shine. Took one look at the materials and saw it was 40% polyester. Those guys are ripping people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 


Nail, meet hammer. Hammer, meet nail.


Completely agree with you.

 


I actually like some of their dress shirts, but if nothing else you can get socks. I like their socks.

If even that doesn't work for you, then I'll have you know that I'm not beyond accepting donations :p

 

I will now go buy 100 dollars worth of socks xP.

post #24667 of 33020
I agree the only thing I buy from express is their socks. I got monthly coupons from them and it ends up being 5 pairs for $17.
post #24668 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post

I agree. Their shirts and pants come off feeling really cheap and crappy. And I also agree on the shine. Took one look at the materials and saw it was 40% polyester. Those guys are ripping people off.

I will now go buy 100 dollars worth of socks xP.

Do you have any women for whom you will be buying gifts this holiday season? They seem to wear this disposable clothing.

J
post #24669 of 33020

To sum it up in two words: Forever Alone.


Edited by MMoon24 - 11/19/13 at 5:45pm
post #24670 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post

I've had a 100 dollar Express Gift Card sitting in my wallet for quite some time [...] Anything you guys would recommend?
Sell it on eBay. It'll go for $85-90, and even after eBay and PayPal fees you'll clear about enough to pay for a Sam Hober tie.
post #24671 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Are blue or black chinos also khakis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpo View Post

No, that would make no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

No it really wouldn't.

And yet, due to oddities in the language, they are. The color was actually named after the garment, not the other way around. It's perfectly normal to wear navy or gray khakis. Black khakis, on the other hand, make you look like a high school kid or a waiter.
post #24672 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post




And yet, due to oddities in the language, they are. The color was actually named after the garment, not the other way around. It's perfectly normal to wear navy or gray khakis. Black khakis, on the other hand, make you look like a high school kid or a waiter.

I am totally mindblown. Haha!

post #24673 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post
 

One more question! I've had a 100 dollar Express Gift Card sitting in my wallet for quite some time. Personally, I've tried some of their suit pants and am not a huge fan. They just feel...cheap. Anything you guys would recommend?

I bought 2 pairs of their Photographer pants.  I actually like them from a fit perspective.  I expect them to fall apart quickly though. 

post #24674 of 33020

Hey folks,

 

I recently got this suit, and it's really hard to tell the color, but it's more of a grey blue almost charcoal blue, light plaid with very fine pink/magenta large checks as an accent. I really like the color but I'm having a hard time getting a good tie combination. Any suggestions?

 

Three shirt options: white with small blue check, light pink, or white. I don't think I can pull off the pink but I was thinking it might pick up the accent.

 

Thoughts? (the first picture is the closest to actual color)

 

post #24675 of 33020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post
 

I agree. Their shirts and pants come off feeling really cheap and crappy. And I also agree on the shine. Took one look at the materials and saw it was 40% polyester. Those guys are ripping people off.

 

I will now go buy 100 dollars worth of socks xP.

I disagree a little. I have two slim fit shirts by them that I've had for three years and used to be part of my regular rotation much more heavily. They've only not started showing their age.

Additionally, the shirt I wore today (picture earlier in thread) is an express shirt. 97% cotton and 3% spandex.

 

They do make *some* good stuff.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)