or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1644

post #24646 of 31221

Thanks. Appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind!

post #24647 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post

Quick question guys. Been slowly evolving my closet ever since I got into the corporate world. We mostly wear business casual. Usually that includes pants, trousers, and then a dress shirt of some sort.

Far as the bottoms go, are chinos appropriate for business casual? I'm looking at the Brooks Brothers website, and they have a "trousers" section and a "casual pants" section. The casual pants look like they could be business casual appropriate though.

 

Depends on the level of business casual. It can be appropriate depending on the context. What do your colleagues wear specifically? Do you want to belong to the better or worse dressed?

post #24648 of 31221

I think chino's are appropriate where khaki's are, no?

post #24649 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post

are chinos appropriate for business casual?
"Business casual" is one of those terms which takes in an awful lot of ground. It can mean anything from "your jeans should be reasonably clean" to "a pale blue shirt and/or a conservative sport coat may be substituted for the standard white shirt and grey or navy suit."

Is it common and accepted practice for the people in your business casual workplace to wear chinos? If so, then I'd say chinos are appropriate for your office's version of business casual.
post #24650 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


"Business casual" is one of those terms which takes in an awful lot of ground. It can mean anything from "your jeans should be reasonably clean" to "a pale blue shirt and/or a conservative sport coat may be substituted for the standard white shirt and grey or navy suit."

Is it common and accepted practice for the people in your business casual workplace to wear chinos? If so, then I'd say chinos are appropriate for your office's version of business casual.

i'd also say to just see what they are wear. if you are in a crunch, purchase trousers. it never hurts to have a solid pair anyways. i'm pretty sure no one will be like "whoa whoa man, trousers? really? you are WAY to overdressed. get out and only wear chinos when you come back" 

post #24651 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I think chino's are appropriate where khaki's are, no?
The two terms - chino and khaki - are basically used interchangeably as meaning the same thing, at least in much of the United States. (I throw in the "United States" bit, as for all I know it may be different in other countries.)

Technically, of course, one can also use "khaki" as a color description. For example, pants, belts, suits, etc., may all be khaki-colored. And it's equally true that not all chinos need be khaki-colored. (For that matter, not all khakis need be khaki-colored.)

But when one refers to pants as khakis, it's understood that the word is synonymous with chinos. And vice versa.
post #24652 of 31221
Are blue or black chinos also khakis?
post #24653 of 31221

No, that would make no sense.

post #24654 of 31221
No it really wouldn't.
post #24655 of 31221

I can't for the life of me understand why people choose to wear chinos. It isn't any harder to put on a pair of decent trousers than a pair of Dockers. They are for walking the dog, or going grocery shopping, or maybe for grabbing a pint after you have been working on the house all day. I wouldn't wear them anywhere that jeans wouldn't also be acceptable.

 

I don't care if business casual is khakis and a polo shirt in your office, put on a damn pair of pants and a real shirt so you don't look like a gym teacher. 

 

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't work in an office of any sort, so you should probably just ignore this post as you would the inane ramblings of a crazy man.

 

J

post #24656 of 31221
Hi guys,

I have some questions about (dress) shirts.
  1. What is the general (or your) preferred way to store (dress) shirts: hanging or folded?
  2. When/why should i wear a shirt with a button-down collar?

Just wondering...
post #24657 of 31221

1. hanging

2. casual and with oxford cloth

post #24658 of 31221
This may be a horribly stupid question but what is the difference between chinos and trousers? I'm still new to all this but I used to just think that chinos were cotton, trousers were woolen and never gave much though to anything else. Now I'm trying to 'dress like a man' and I've discovered a world of cotton suits, linen/silk/wool/etc pants, high rise and low rise, etc etc.
post #24659 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post
 

I can't for the life of me understand why people choose to wear chinos. It isn't any harder to put on a pair of decent trousers than a pair of Dockers. They are for walking the dog, or going grocery shopping, or maybe for grabbing a pint after you have been working on the house all day. I wouldn't wear them anywhere that jeans wouldn't also be acceptable.

 

I don't care if business casual is khakis and a polo shirt in your office, put on a damn pair of pants and a real shirt so you don't look like a gym teacher. 

 

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't work in an office of any sort, so you should probably just ignore this post as you would the inane ramblings of a crazy man.

 

J

 

It depends... honestly.

At my last job, I wouldn't have felt comfortable dressing too well because my bosses didn't. Looking that much better than the bosses is weird.


Here, I can wear SC's/trousers to work everyday without people raising an eyebrow. At the previous gig, everyone would ask why I was dressed up. These two offices are in the same organization but in different departments. It really depends.

 

While I'm comfortable wearing SC's here, I wouldn't wear a suit here because that would put me on par with the people I work for. I don't want to do that because the difference in both our education and pay is worlds apart. So, I can dress as well as possible without going full on suit. I also won't wear shirts with cufflinks for the same reason.

post #24660 of 31221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post

This may be a horribly stupid question but what is the difference between chinos and trousers? I'm still new to all this but I used to just think that chinos were cotton, trousers were woolen and never gave much though to anything else. Now I'm trying to 'dress like a man' and I've discovered a world of cotton suits, linen/silk/wool/etc pants, high rise and low rise, etc etc.


I'd say that khaki's/chino's are separated from trousers/slacks by virtue of material and fit. Trousers/slacks are usually wool, which chino's are cotton. Cords are separate.

I was also under the impression that chinos were slimmer than khaki's which is how I distinguished them. Guess that was a false dichotomy!

 

Anyone more knowledgeable feel free to correct what are probably my copious errors.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)