or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1643

post #24631 of 32190

Oh no worries. I wear black pants all the time!

 

I was thinking either red, navy, or salmon as well as black. Would cords be overkill? I have a pair of black and a pair of blue cords as well.


Edited by ridethecliche - 11/18/13 at 9:27pm
post #24632 of 32190

Cords might be too many things happening, but maybe not; try it on and look in the mirror.  Black pants will look good, so will dark blue.  I've got a pair of really dark blue jeans, and I would wear the hell out of that jacket with them.  Grey pants are pretty much never wrong with anything.

post #24633 of 32190

Welp, this is how it ended up.

 

Thanks for your help gents.

 

post #24634 of 32190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

Welp, this is how it ended up.

 

Thanks for your help gents.

 


I think a light blue shirt would look even better with this outfit.

post #24635 of 32190

I was considering the light blue, but I wanted to go a little safer since the blazer has black and white in it. I have light blue oxford shirts and a slightly darker one as well. I'll give those a try next time.


What do people think of the tie? I was also debating a navy one this morning and someone else pointed out that it would have been a good fit as well.

 

Also, what's the collar on my shirt called? I have only one other one like it and I quite like the look especially since most of my shirts are OBCD's or regular spread collars without the inserts (i.e. soft).

post #24636 of 32190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

I was considering the light blue, but I wanted to go a little safer since the blazer has black and white in it. I have light blue oxford shirts and a slightly darker one as well. I'll give those a try next time.


What do people think of the tie? I was also debating a navy one this morning and someone else pointed out that it would have been a good fit as well.

 

Also, what's the collar on my shirt called? I have only one other one like it and I quite like the look especially since most of my shirts are OBCD's or regular spread collars without the inserts (i.e. soft).

 

I think a solid, or stripe, with the white shirt, or you should wear a blue shirt with that tie.

 

That looks like a regular spread collar to me...

post #24637 of 32190

Ah okay, thanks. I need to look up collars and see what the others are. I guess they're abbreviated spread then!

 

Noted about the ties/shirt. I might have to try a yellow tie :p

post #24638 of 32190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

What do people think of the tie?

Sorry man, I think it's pretty terrible with that jacket. One of the keys to successfully matching ties/shirts/jackets is differences of scale/pattern/texture. A solid grenadine or boucle silk would be better, as would any kind of stripe larger than the plaid pattern in the jacket. Not sure if the tie is navy or not but from a distance it only looks like you're wearing 2 colors so you definitely need to introduce something else in there. Ok, it's a different pattern and scale, but virtually any tie that isn't repeating on a horizontal or vertical axis like that one will be better, since the jacket fabric is already repeating that way. Just my $0.02.
post #24639 of 32190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

Ah okay, thanks. I need to look up collars and see what the others are. I guess they're abbreviated spread then!

 

Noted about the ties/shirt. I might have to try a yellow tie :p

 

Also possible that I'm wrong; others will know the terminology better than I do.  That collar just looks very standard to me.

post #24640 of 32190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

Sorry man, I think it's pretty terrible with that jacket. One of the keys to successfully matching ties/shirts/jackets is differences of scale/pattern/texture. A solid grenadine or boucle silk would be better, as would any kind of stripe larger than the plaid pattern in the jacket. Not sure if the tie is navy or not but from a distance it only looks like you're wearing 2 colors so you definitely need to introduce something else in there. Ok, it's a different pattern and scale, but virtually any tie that isn't repeating on a horizontal or vertical axis like that one will be better, since the jacket fabric is already repeating that way. Just my $0.02.

What he said.

You are getting better every week though.

That outfit begs for a burgundy tie.

The tie you are wearing is best with a solid jacket or under a solid sweater. As you get more ties I don't think it will be one you wear often, it is a bit 1995ish.

J
post #24641 of 32190
Quick question guys. Been slowly evolving my closet ever since I got into the corporate world. We mostly wear business casual. Usually that includes pants, trousers, and then a dress shirt of some sort.

Far as the bottoms go, are chinos appropriate for business casual? I'm looking at the Brooks Brothers website, and they have a "trousers" section and a "casual pants" section. The casual pants look like they could be business casual appropriate though.
post #24642 of 32190

Thanks!

I guess that some of what I like is dated then. Sad day!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J011yroger View Post


What he said.

You are getting better every week though.

That outfit begs for a burgundy tie.

The tie you are wearing is best with a solid jacket or under a solid sweater. As you get more ties I don't think it will be one you wear often, it is a bit 1995ish.

J

Progress, however incremental, is always good. I think the sweater idea is good. It might work well with a solid sweater+jacket or such. I have a few such ties and I like them. The point is I have to learn to use them where they are intended. DONT SAY IN THE TRASH!
:p

 

I will hunt for a burgundy tie though. I definitely need one in my wardrobe.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post


Sorry man, I think it's pretty terrible with that jacket. One of the keys to successfully matching ties/shirts/jackets is differences of scale/pattern/texture. A solid grenadine or boucle silk would be better, as would any kind of stripe larger than the plaid pattern in the jacket. Not sure if the tie is navy or not but from a distance it only looks like you're wearing 2 colors so you definitely need to introduce something else in there. Ok, it's a different pattern and scale, but virtually any tie that isn't repeating on a horizontal or vertical axis like that one will be better, since the jacket fabric is already repeating that way. Just my $0.02.

I really liked that explanation actually. I actually have a couple of ties like this, i.e. horizontal/vertical pattern. However, I see what you mean about pairing them with a suit that complements the pattern instead of a 'more of the same' look. I'll keep that in mind and think of pairing a more diagonal tie with something like this to mix things up.


Edited by ridethecliche - 11/19/13 at 11:43am
post #24643 of 32190
If you like them, wear them. They just need to be strategically deployed.

That tie would be ok with a solid or almost solid (subtle pattern) navy or gray suit.

J
post #24644 of 32190

Thanks. Appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind!

post #24645 of 32190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon24 View Post

Quick question guys. Been slowly evolving my closet ever since I got into the corporate world. We mostly wear business casual. Usually that includes pants, trousers, and then a dress shirt of some sort.

Far as the bottoms go, are chinos appropriate for business casual? I'm looking at the Brooks Brothers website, and they have a "trousers" section and a "casual pants" section. The casual pants look like they could be business casual appropriate though.

 

Depends on the level of business casual. It can be appropriate depending on the context. What do your colleagues wear specifically? Do you want to belong to the better or worse dressed?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)